A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Transmission (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Check Your Kickdown Switch (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8547)

audifin 7th August 2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordHefner (Post 78700)
In the D2 link that you posted on post 1, I read through and there was instructions for testing it off whilst parked and engine off, is that something for just the D2 owners or would this work for the D3 as well? :Confused:

Regards, Mark.

I did this test on my D3:

To test:

Driving along, put the car in tiptronic and use the shifter to put the car in the highest gear it will go, 4th or 5th is ideal if you are doing > 30mph.

Now, floor the car and only if the kickdown is working will it change gear. If it is not working, then because you have tiptronic selected it will not change gear. Only the kickdown function (and anti-stalling) can override the gear selection in tiptronic.

B17NKA 7th August 2014 03:15 PM

Where's the switch at ??

ScottD3 7th August 2014 05:40 PM

Behind the throttle.
Looks like a bump stop.

B17NKA 7th August 2014 06:42 PM

Ah ok will have a look
Thanks Andy

Lyons 8th August 2014 10:02 AM

Sadly as I expected, mine was on!

B17NKA 8th August 2014 12:57 PM

So is mine

M-A8 12th August 2014 07:55 AM

Amazing, my was disabled, but driving very often in Sport I would't notice the difference, when I put the foot down I do get the faster gear :D
My gearbox just knows me very well :D

It's good to have it anyway especially if you are in D.

Good tip guys +++

lordchris 27th December 2017 08:46 AM

I think we need to bump this one.

Didn’t even know my car ( 2006 a8L 4.2tdi ) had a kickdown switch until yesterday. Thanks to this forum.

Checked the switch and low and behold it was off. I could never understand why the Car seemed to “do little” when floored and when already up to speed.

I have a stage 2 map on mine, knew it was rapid from low gear and slow speeds, but never seemed to have the same performance when you needed a kickdown.

Switch on now and holy sht, it is like a torpedo now. No need to go into smode on the gearbox now just plant it!

Best mode ever

daandaman 28th December 2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-A8 (Post 79097)
Amazing, my was disabled, but driving very often in Sport I would't notice the difference, when I put the foot down I do get the faster gear :D
My gearbox just knows me very well :D

It's good to have it anyway especially if you are in D.

Good tip guys +++

Hold on... wait... I am positive I've read in a technical document that the s8 does not have a physical kickdown switch. It has a "feedback" thing that makes it feel like a switch but it does everything by position sensor...

What do you mean it was disabled?

HPsauce 28th December 2017 08:49 AM

Pre-facelift, cable throttle, no kickdown switch.
Post-facelift, fly-by-wire throttle, physical kickdown switch (lockable button) on the floor under the pedal.

I always preferred the pre-facelift throttle response in every way.

Edit: Just to clarify, that difference is for a D2 as that is what the question appears to relate to. This is a D3 thread and all D3's are FBW.