A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Fuel and Exhausts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Emission Control System warning (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8481)

Zip 24th July 2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 77870)
Defo needs a scan to tell for sure. The V10 is a lumpy engine when cold at the best of times - my S6 is exactly the same. Being stood for 5 days isnt a problem, so you're looking at a little bit of something its unhappy with, but as it drives ok, it seems unlikely its anything too serious....

I don't remember you announcing that an S6 had joined the stable. Tell us more.....always fancied an Avant S6.

Zip

IT 26th July 2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip (Post 78022)
I don't remember you announcing that an S6 had joined the stable. Tell us more.....always fancied an Avant S6.

Zip

I brought it to the annual meet +++

Honestly, probably the best car I've ever owned. Big enough that it doesnt feel like a go cart like the S4's, yet small enough to park practically anywhere on daily driving basis.

It doesnt have the presence, or luxury of the A8, and apart from the discrete V10 badges and quad pipes it looks very 'normal'. I can park it absolutely anywhere. But, when I floor it, 400 ponies still gallop quite rapidly to the horizon and its very satisfying..... :D

For me, this avant combines the practicality of the Q7 that I always enjoyed, with the sportiness of the S4's, with some of the luxuries and tech of the D3, and with none of the downsides of any of them.....

I'm wrestling hard with whether or not to 'upgrade' to the RS6. All I want is a bit more power (who doesnt?), but I dont want DRC, fancy body kits, theft risk, oh, and 20K more tied up in a motor when the one I've got is near as dam it the same thing.... :rolleyes:

In fact, on paper the S6 looks like a bit of a bargainous gem. I've thought this for years, and if you can live with 'only' 400+ ponies instead of 500+ and you dont want it for pose value then its epic value for money imo....

However - Finding an S6 with a good/high spec is a challenge. RS6's are often bought money no object and its tick city on the spec sheet, but the S6 is more reserved and most kicking about have not so much stuff on.....

Thats enough thread hijacking, although at least the cars share the same engine.... +++

Norretal 26th July 2014 09:45 AM

I'd just be content driving any 8 right now, I'm dejected this weekend without one on the drive to wash and play with, hopefully next week will see progress.

On the subject of RS6 Avant's Ian, I might just know where there's one to tempt you soon ;)

Norretal 29th July 2014 05:58 AM

D Day

Finally the day is here, the S8 is being collected and shipped to someone I was recommended to use, wish me luck ;)

I'm showing confidence in her by buying a £275 tax disc for her this morning +++

Adrian E 29th July 2014 07:17 AM

Fingers crossed for you that it's a straightforward fix :)

Reffro 29th July 2014 10:52 AM

I couldn't see it referenced, but what fuel have you been using? VW/Audi FSi engines are notorious for being temperamental when not being run on 98 octane.

Norretal 29th July 2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffro (Post 78181)
I couldn't see it referenced, but what fuel have you been using? VW/Audi FSi engines are notorious for being temperamental when not being run on 98 octane.

I've only owned it for just short of five months Reffro, or two thousand miles of motoring in my case. I've always used Shell V Power in it, never anything else. Looking at the way it's been cared for by previous owners I'd say they've never ran it on cheaper fuel +++

Reffro 29th July 2014 12:42 PM

It won't be fuel then, any issues related to that should go once any 95 is flushed out.

Norretal 22nd August 2014 08:59 PM

Update

As some of you know already the problem with my S8 was found to be a broken flap in the inlet manifold, causing the misfire. I viewed the dismantled manifold and saw the damage and general wear and decided a new one was the best option available. This was just over three weeks ago, new one was ordered, delivery date of August 13th given. That date passed and the garage got onto TPS and were now given an improbable date, meaning they couldn't specify. Further chasing all week led to a confirmation today that none are available anywhere and they won't be commencing production until December........then they'll be distributed on a "first come first served" basis......WTF?!?!

I don't know whether to be angry, bemused or disgusted. Surely there are enough V10 S8's on the road to warrant a decent level of spares support by Audi? Has anyone had an issue similar to this before? I don't even know where to begin asking the questions that might get me some reasonable answers. I thought a brand as big as Audi would be better equipped to deal with what I'd consider a relatively straightforward replacement, in a reasonable amount of time?

I can't really add any more than that till I get more information from them, it's taken three weeks to get this far. I'm not impressed at all :mad:

PsYcHe 22nd August 2014 09:54 PM

Mate's Brabus GL was off the road for about 4 months for a daft issue because they only make the parts every now and again.. Mental!