A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Everything Else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   S8 (No longer) FKD (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16854)

IT 13th December 2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 171354)
Bit off topic but didn't this one have a heated windscreen? If it does (and if you have the time IT), can you take a picture of where the wiring comes into the engine bay area near the washer bottle reservoir please? I'm contemplating a retrofit but there is very little info on this. The module and wiring is not a problem, I just need to figure out if it comes through the bonnet release cable area or through the wing and up past the washer bottle. Thanks

It does have a heated screen... And I know the cables you mean as I remember seeing then when I was feeding through the new bonnet release cable. I don't remember them enough to tell you the exact path though.

Daylight and weather is not on my side, but if I get the op I'll grab you a photo for sure and post it here.

Interesting comment on the flap map. I did suspect it had been somewhat brutally muted. I suspect bar the flaps its all running pretty sweet now, not that I can tell electronically !

steamship 13th December 2022 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An image and a website that might help. One is from when I was doing the bonnet release cable and the other is a website selling the windscreen. It appears to have only a double connection in the bottom left of the screen (looking at it from outside). It's the red and brown cable connected to the gold coloured ribbon cables.

The following website shows the actual windscreen from both sides:

https://www.glavista.com/de//windsch...udi-a8-4t-2002

IT 13th December 2022 06:25 PM

Thats really interesting. Much better than the D2 design with a wire in each corner begging to get sliced off during windscreen removal (yes, experience talking there)

Easier retrofit than the D2 too with only the bottom corner to wire to.

Yes. D2 Retrofit heated screen. Been there. Done that. Got the T shirt.

steamship 13th December 2022 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 171374)
Much better than the D2 design with a wire in each corner

My thoughts exactly.

homer simpson 19th December 2022 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 171369)
An image and a website that might help. One is from when I was doing the bonnet release cable and the other is a website selling the windscreen. It appears to have only a double connection in the bottom left of the screen (looking at it from outside). It's the red and brown cable connected to the gold coloured ribbon cables.

The following website shows the actual windscreen from both sides:

https://www.glavista.com/de//windsch...udi-a8-4t-2002

Thanks. I'm trying to find the correct route for the two wires that connect to that connector. I imagine they would be part of the loom but must enter the engine bay from somewhere?

steamship 19th December 2022 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 171474)
Thanks. I'm trying to find the correct route for the two wires that connect to that connector. I imagine they would be part of the loom but must enter the engine bay from somewhere?

From doing the ACC retrofit, the engine bay loom comes in from under/behind the glovebox, into the front left wheel arch, near where the valve block is for the suspension.

The attached image is the relevant section of loom. There are three marked '11', one of which is the red and black cables in my previous photo.

homer simpson 20th December 2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 171478)
From doing the ACC retrofit, the engine bay loom comes in from under/behind the glovebox, into the front left wheel arch, near where the valve block is for the suspension.

The attached image is the relevant section of loom. There are three marked '11', one of which is the red and black cables in my previous photo.

Thank you. I may have to rethink this if it doesn't work - the module is under the battery and so it would have to be wired across the boot or under the seats and then down the LHS of the car. I'm going to try the RHS first and see if the bonnet cable aperture work without causing the bonnet release any problems

steamship 20th December 2022 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That might be a good option, although those two wires are a biy heavier than most of the wiring, so may interfere. From memory, the bonnet release grommet is about one inch in diameter. According to the wiring diagram they are 4.0, which might mean 4mm2, but I'm not sure if that is correct. There is a third wire that you can see in the photo that I got from eBay (surprised at how cheap the modules are) which is very thin, and that goes to the climatronic unit.

homer simpson 21st December 2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 171481)
That might be a good option, although those two wires are a biy heavier than most of the wiring, so may interfere. From memory, the bonnet release grommet is about one inch in diameter. According to the wiring diagram they are 4.0, which might mean 4mm2, but I'm not sure if that is correct. There is a third wire that you can see in the photo that I got from eBay (surprised at how cheap the modules are) which is very thin, and that goes to the climatronic unit.

Yes I ordered 4.5mm2 (it has 4.0mm cable) rated at 42 amps just to ensure it's not overloaded. The purple thin wire for the linbus has been routed to behind the CC unit although I haven't checked if it needs a specific CC unit or whether I can tap into the correct pin. I have managed (struggled? lol) to get the wires through the bonnet cable aperture and even through the grommet, have to test the cable release and see if it interferes. Also required is a bracket which I believe sits in the engine bay to hold the cable and a 110a fuse in the boot, both still available from TPS

Sorry IT, I should move this to a new thread

IT 21st December 2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 171501)

Sorry IT, I should move this to a new thread

I'm not bothered per se, but I will move it to a new thread as it may benefit others in the future.