A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Other marques (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Volvo with Launch Control... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15630)

MikkiJayne 27th May 2022 12:58 PM

They've taken the Audi model of customer disservice then :(

HPsauce 27th May 2022 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 169808)
Sounds like you may have to go legal….

Not sure the best way of doing that? Get it fixed first or not?

paulrstaylor 27th May 2022 03:04 PM

I was expecting them to play nice, my Dad has a D4 V60 that had a top end rebuild FoC out of warranty because of an issue caused by a common EGR failure. He was put in a brand new car for three weeks and there was zero cost to him.

A few weeks after it was fixed, his car was stolen and written off - can't blame the dealer for that.

Adrian E 27th May 2022 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 169810)
Not sure the best way of doing that? Get it fixed first or not?

Best to get some advice (house insurance will usually include legal cover) but I suspect that depends on how badly you want the car back to working condition - leaving it at the dealer has some benefit (it's in their way, and they'll be reminded why it's there) but similarly it leaves you a car down and there's a serious risk of the Volvo picking up damage while it's sitting at the dealer.

You could, with legal advice, consider a letter before action and if that doesn't work make it clear that if you're paying for the work to get the car back it is with the intent to take them to court for failing to fix it FOC.

Legal action isn't a panacea for this sort of thing, but if they think you're serious there's more chance they'll cave in before it gets to that point. There's a bloke on Pistonheads with a Civic Type R who has been without his car for over a year while he faffs about considering legal options.....

HPsauce 30th May 2022 07:34 PM

Well I've asked for a number of things in writing and they have acknowledged that request and said they will progress it, i.e. nothing (yet) is deemed unreasonable.
In summary there are said to be multiple problems, so:
1. Relevant data from onboard diagnostics, with time/date stamps. When were the first symptoms recorded? (Presumably examined at annual services)
2. Volvo head office explanation of what happened in what sequence?
3. Detailed breakdown of work and costs (parts/labour) so far incurred and Volvo agreed contributions to those.
4. Same breakdown and contribution offer re recommended work (i.e. new engine) and what warranty will apply.
5. Analysis of overlapping/duplicated/superfluous work if engine is replaced (e.g. components already changed, serviced, etc.) and how that will be treated.
6. Explanation from Volvo of why they have offered only a 60% contribution so far and to what exactly that applies.

I've reminded them that they've taken nearly 3 months to get here and I've done nothing to delay them!
Car will be SORN'ed after tomorrow and they know that.

I need to check what legal advice I can get, but I need everything in writing anyway.

Edit. It seems my Motor policy on the Volvo may provide some initial help:
Motor Legal Advice Helpline
You have access to a 24-hour legal advice helpline based in the UK – providing confidential legal advice on any legal matter relating to the use of your vehicle (e.g.
private vehicle sale).
There are no consultation fees; all you pay for is the phone call.
(Just need to find the number to call......)

HPsauce 8th June 2022 06:30 PM

Well even allowing for the bank holiday, well over a working week has passed and still nothing back in writing, just a couple of "holding" emails.....
The most recent did say that they are "waiting on Volvo to come back on a couple of items" and "looks like the overall cost on the labour will come down".
I wonder what that all means? :Confused:

steamship 9th June 2022 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 169945)
I wonder what that all means? :Confused:

Frustratingly, it sounds like the common sense approach is out the window and to quote MJ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 169809)
They've taken the Audi model of customer disservice then :(

tonupkid 9th June 2022 02:31 PM

Andrew if you are a member of either the AA or RAC it might be worth having a word with them.

HPsauce 9th June 2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 169951)
Andrew if you are a member of either the AA or RAC it might be worth having a word with them.

I'm not, but what were you thinking of?

As noted above I have access to motoring legal advice via my Insurance on that car.

tonupkid 9th June 2022 07:15 PM

I'm assuming that the AA & RAC perhaps have some experience with situations like this and that there may be some kind of precedent that could be called upon to prosecute your claim (not legally but persuasively).
Your probably already aware of how these issues can get out of hand. People will happily suggest getting the legal. Which is not always a great option because it can end with you winning while also bearing significant expense. Not to mention the emotional toll.
Once you have clarification of what their offer actually represents use that as a base from which to negotiate better terms.
Best of luck however you take this forward.