A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Mmi 2g update - optic loop? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16157)

Echo 6th March 2021 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 163744)
This seller reckons his are genuine. Even though he states no returns, if it doesn't work eBay will refund you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-AUDI...cAAOSwqoRbOVpJ

Yeah, thanks for that, been looking myself.

At 19 quid though, it's got to be a copy.

Just for interest sake, I rang the local Audi dealer. The 2018 release is the final disc for MMI 2G, no more updates in future, and only £216, bargain! :)

Seeing as it's already out of date, you'd think they'd flog 'em off a bit cheaper than that eh.

I'm still on the case............

Echo 9th March 2021 02:06 PM

Ok, so I tried a genuine 2018 dealer disc (used), and get the same 'check nav DVD' error on the screen.

So that's 3 map discs now tested and all failed.

Must be a fault in the nav player itself then, even though the original (2004) map DVD is working fine.

There are a few online with the same part numbers.

The question is:

Is it a straight swap for my old one?............plug & play that is, because there's no coding for it:

Address 37: Navigation Labels: 4E0-910-88x-37.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 887 D HW: 4E0 919 887 C
Component: MNS ECE H43 0550
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 353EJ047522731
Shop #: WSC 02313 785 00200
VCID: 2E05097BDC17BBEBD1E-807A

No fault code found.

Will the MMI recognise it without any problems?

AND, will fitting a different nav player cause a component protection error?

Then again, a replacement nav player of the same'ish year might have a lazy laser as well.

Come on you clever A8 people :)

paulrstaylor 9th March 2021 02:22 PM

Perhaps worth cleaning the laser on your current device as a first step, a cleaning disc won't work but open it up and use some isopropyl alcohol on the lens with a cotton bud is a cheap potential fix?

If you buy a used device, bear in mind it maybe the same issue sooner or later also?

ainarssems 9th March 2021 02:36 PM

I never used built in satnav anyway, maps and traffic on phone always more up to date and easier to enter destinations.

Echo 9th March 2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 163811)
Perhaps worth cleaning the laser on your current device as a first step, a cleaning disc won't work but open it up and use some isopropyl alcohol on the lens with a cotton bud is a cheap potential fix?

If you buy a used device, bear in mind it maybe the same issue sooner or later also?

Yes, I understand but, if the nav player is reading the original disc ok that's in it now, how could could the laser be dirty?

I don't get it.

Echo 9th March 2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 163813)
I never used built in satnav anyway, maps and traffic on phone always more up to date and easier to enter destinations.

Can't get stuff like that on my old Nokia :o

IT 9th March 2021 02:40 PM

iirc there is no coding on Nav, its a straight swap over.

No component protection either I believe, which is odd as it was one of the more valuable components at the time.

The Nav units are the same in A6/Q7/A8 so plenty around to go at, and 2G was still being made into 2010 so its not hard to get a newer one than yours.

Echo 9th March 2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 163815)
iirc there is no coding on Nav, its a straight swap over.

No component protection either I believe, which is odd as it was one of the more valuable components at the time.

The Nav units are the same in A6/Q7/A8 so plenty around to go at, and 2G was still being made into 2010 so its not hard to get a newer one than yours.

Ok thanks IT.

The quest continues............:)

paulrstaylor 9th March 2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo (Post 163812)
Yes, I understand but, if the nav player is reading the original disc ok that's in it now, how could could the laser be dirty?

I don't get it.

If it was marginal it may be that it is struggling with the initial update, which it won't need from the old disk. I had the same issue on my D3 when it was about 5 years old, which was 10 years ago, and cleaning the laser kicked it down the road, replacing the head made it better, but it still struggled with some (copied) discs intermittently!

Back then a new drive was £££ even used, so a swap may make more sense now +++

Echo 9th March 2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 163821)
If it was marginal it may be that it is struggling with the initial update, which it won't need from the old disk. I had the same issue on my D3 when it was about 5 years old, which was 10 years ago, and cleaning the laser kicked it down the road, replacing the head made it better, but it still struggled with some (copied) discs intermittently!

Back then a new drive was £££ even used, so a swap may make more sense now +++

Yes, I suppose that might be what the problem is then.

'Replace the head', what does that entail?

As Matty says: "You can do a DVD read test by using Channel 065 and value 2 for short test, value 1 for a long test"...........what will that tell me?

According to Realoem, a new unit is still £squillions! So it would have to be a used one, running the risk of that having the same problem, and maybe, just maybe CP thrown in.

It's like Russian Roulette :(