A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A8 / S8 Generic Posts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   C'Mon John (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1479)

A8 Doc 29th March 2010 08:14 AM

Looks sweet!!

Though you can get an RS4 conversion V8 kit for less than that......

r8dream 29th March 2010 05:39 PM

yes i found one for £3500 with 11000 miles on it,
so 480hp or 420hp, but the important figure is 475ft/lbs torque to the rs4's 320. plus a bit of trouble to run the fsi ,ecu, dash cluster, key switch and pedal ass. anyway numbers don't matter, it's just i like tinkering with my machines.
gm ls engines have an insane level of aftermarket support. including coming with alt., ac comp., ps pump, brackets, loom, ecu, pedal ass., plus it's all brand new and can use pre-made headers.
just need s5 gearbox, adapter plate, flywheel, motor mounts, and fabricate a few bits and pieces.
the real tough bit will be trying to adapt the s5's torque vectoring diff. with all sensors and ecu interface.
still thinking about that one.

Just_Ben 29th March 2010 06:17 PM

This is gonna be a monster either way mate!! +++

r8dream 29th March 2010 07:02 PM

i hope so ben, i want to get around to asking for your help and expertise as soon as i have the full budget in hand.

Just_Ben 29th March 2010 07:09 PM

No worries mate! I'd be chuffed to add my two peneth for what it's worth!

A8 Doc 30th March 2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r8dream (Post 10872)
yes i found one for £3500 with 11000 miles on it,
so 480hp or 420hp, but the important figure is 475ft/lbs torque to the rs4's 320. plus a bit of trouble to run the fsi ,ecu, dash cluster, key switch and pedal ass. anyway numbers don't matter, it's just i like tinkering with my machines.
gm ls engines have an insane level of aftermarket support. including coming with alt., ac comp., ps pump, brackets, loom, ecu, pedal ass., plus it's all brand new and can use pre-made headers.
just need s5 gearbox, adapter plate, flywheel, motor mounts, and fabricate a few bits and pieces.
the real tough bit will be trying to adapt the s5's torque vectoring diff. with all sensors and ecu interface.
still thinking about that one.

Wow didn't realise it came with the ECU etc. too. Bargain then!!

Yes completely agree the LS series are a more powerful lump. I've always liked to keep the same manufacturer engine in my swaps before hence my comment thats all. Gonna be a machine though and looking forward to it!!

Would an S4 gearbox not be easier to source? Seeing as you are making an adaptor plate anyway? Or is the bolt pattern that far out?

I'm being nosey now and sure you have looked into it all!!

As another thought how the Subaru 6 speed from the early 2001-2005 cars is a good gearbox. Nothing intelligent on it? Designed for a 4 pot bell housing though.

I love these threads!!!

Conan_the_Librarian 30th March 2010 09:08 AM

Doc,

I think John is going for the S5 box because the front diff is further forward in the new generation of Quattro. That's a a big old lump and getting the weight back is gonna be important.

I too love these threads.

A8 Doc 30th March 2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian (Post 10894)
Doc,

I think John is going for the S5 box because the front diff is further forward in the new generation of Quattro. That's a a big old lump and getting the weight back is gonna be important.

I too love these threads.

Understood!! Ah yes of course.