A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Google Earth Thread (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11636)

limoncello 8th June 2016 12:56 PM

2 and a half hours i reckon, the car went straight in when i arrived but no doubt there was also some dithering about time before they started. they then spent some time seeing if they could enable google earth, they then asked if i was ok with just the update because they couldnt or wernt allowed to put google earth on themselves. the tech had previously told me he had doubts that if i didnt have it from new it wouldnt work even after the update

i said yes no probs, they did liven up the engineer hidden menu so that i could do it.

Went to the car, pushed in the sim card in the slot, told the nav to use google maps, and it just worked. doesnt appear to be any probs using 2g.

IT 8th June 2016 01:02 PM

Dam, I'm so tempted to do it on mine, but knowing my luck, something will go wrong, then someone will ring wanting to buy it ;)

It would be most satisfying to get "something for nothing"....

I'm particularly interested if the Wifi hotspot works. I don't *need* speed, but just for my phone to be able to tick away and suck down emails at 2G while I'm driving would be a bonus so they're there when I'm at a standstill etc.

limoncello 8th June 2016 01:15 PM

i know , so tempting, could be done in a couple of hours.

it does seem that it has a few failsafe mechanisms in it, doing checks first to test whether its a viable update for whats already there.

paulrstaylor 8th June 2016 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 113388)
I'm particularly interested if the Wifi hotspot works. I don't *need* speed, but just for my phone to be able to tick away and suck down emails at 2G while I'm driving would be a bonus so they're there when I'm at a standstill etc.

It will +++

limoncello 8th June 2016 06:30 PM

wifi worked really well, i took my laptop out and used the wifi, and was suprised at how fast it was

IT 9th June 2016 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dam it couldn't resist.

Already regretting it. I've been sat in the car in the sun for an hour now.

At least when watching paint dry its a little easier to predict how far along you've got.... +++

limoncello 9th June 2016 01:06 PM

good luck, i thought you would

its doing the same number of updates as mine

after about an hour and a half it got to number 4, the rest went much quicker probably an hour more.

IT 9th June 2016 01:15 PM

Zipped ahead now, it's on 10 of 16..... +++

limoncello 9th June 2016 01:24 PM

did you remember to do it manually ie not doing the bose update

IT 9th June 2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limoncello (Post 113437)
did you remember to do it manually ie not doing the bose update

Yes, but the engineering menu absolutely would not come up.

But, having looked at the 'auto' update, it didn't include a Bose firmware update anyway, so I went for it....

All updated, now running 0770.

But no sign of wifi or google maps ?

What have I missed out..... ?