A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   House and Home DIY (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   What is this? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6456)

notorious 20th May 2013 12:31 PM

I have studied the removing pillar thing, but because I have bedroom above garage I decided not to risk. However weird it sounds, I think there is a bit of beauty in having two separate doors like in those old time when people had horses. I think with one big door house will lose a bit of charm.

I installed the laser about 3-4 months ago and was testing it for a while. I can confirm I'm completely happy with it and it guarantees that car won't be damaged. The same devices helps me to put car on ramps for oil service, etc. I have pre-marked the floor where exactly to put ramps and then laser just guides me :)

In terms of a single garage with 7" opening I can only imagine what nightmare it can be. Who designed this stuff? Who approved this? Grrr... Show me these people -- no judge, no jury -- straight to execution :)

But actually I think these are the buyers (us!) who tolerate this sh*t. I can't imagine someone to try to sell single garage like this somewhere in the US. No one will buy it...

Dezzy 20th May 2013 12:33 PM

Probably be able to remove the pillar but would have to put an RSJ across to support over.

The half width bricks are what i would call "coins" they do make a pillar within the wall structure.

Have you thought about a caravan mover or similar for pushing / pulling the car about?

Dezzy 20th May 2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 57601)
I have studied the removing pillar thing, but because I have bedroom above garage I decided not to risk. However weird it sounds, I think there is a bit of beauty in having two separate doors like in those old time when people had horses. I think with one big door house will lose a bit of charm.

I installed the laser about 3-4 months ago and was testing it for a while. I can confirm I'm completely happy with it and it guarantees that car won't be damaged. The same devices helps me to put car on ramps for oil service, etc. I have pre-marked the floor where exactly to put ramps and then laser just guides me :)

In terms of a single garage with 7" opening I can only imagine what nightmare it can be. Who designed this stuff? Who approved this? Grrr... Show me these people -- no judge, no jury -- straight to execution :)

But actually I think these are the buyers (us!) who tolerate this sh*t. I can't imagine someone to try to sell single garage like this somewhere in the US. No one will buy it...

I was going to offer to do the work but the last time i was executed it really hurt so.......

notorious 20th May 2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 57603)
I was going to offer to do the work but the last time i was executed it really hurt so.......

Sorry, sorry Dezzy... I know it wasn't you who approved building regulations which allowed claustrophobic garages -- you don't qualify for execution.

Adrian E 20th May 2013 03:23 PM

My house was built in the early 80s and I count myself lucky it's actually long enough to get the S8 in with a foot to spare! So many round here built later are simply too narrow to get even a modest modern car in - friends round the corner can't even get an Astra through theirs!

It's easy enough to get the car in with practice, although it involves a couple of checks and realigning to make sure it's straight and clearing the nearside wall. Mirrors have to be folded as the nearside needs to be as tight as possible to the wall or I've no chance getting out the drivers seat!

If I had a double with space in the centre I'd have no issues at all - just lean out the drivers window and make sure the offside is as close as can be and you know the nearside will have plenty of space :)

Dezzy - could the 'coins' be removed/replaced on a solid brick built wall? We've got an end garage in block and the outside wall is of proper brick construction whereas the interior walls are all light block apart from the pillars - I did wonder if a whole brick built wall would be that bit stronger and I could potentially knock a few out the way so I could open the car door!

Dezzy 20th May 2013 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If it's concrete block I would imagine they would have used the same block on it’s side, so I’m going to say the block you have there is Thermolite and they are not load bearing and is why you have a pillar / coin (I think it’s actually spelt with a qu but I’m from Dem) made from brick, placed every ??? where the building regs man says.

So not really is the answer however nothing is impossible, if only we knew of an architect. Being a steel man i'd want to replce the brick with steel it may then be possible to turn the H section so that the blocks run into it.

I've drawn a European broad flange 36.4kg per M. This would give an inside dim of 152 just under 6", the blocks will go in with a smack.
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1369067976

Hey yeah the drawing work is expencive

Goran 22nd May 2013 09:13 AM

excellent solution Sergey!
that door looks really narrow.
I just need to find a house with a garage.

notorious 22nd May 2013 09:37 AM

Get out of bloody London Goran. :)

Goran 23rd May 2013 12:14 PM

:) I completely agree, these London prices are driving me crazy!