A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Cars (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Audi S8 2001 FL For Sale (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16564)

ulfilias 25th January 2022 02:12 PM

Not played with a D3 S8.

I run a 4.2 v8 petrol sport D3 and have done for ~3 years. It's the more luxury feeling, certainly newer tech and is a comfy motorway cruiser.

I had a D2 FL S8 for 3-4 years and it was stunning. Plenty of grunt and pick up and an awesome car. Certainly preferred the looks. It's a bit basic by comparison but not really in any way that matters and is certainly more connected to the driving experience.
The PF i had for a short while however was very basic, but with the most amazing carpets!

The 0-60 numbers between my PF D3 and D2 S8 are not that far apart, however the S8 always felt quick, my D3 doesn't, it just wafts rapidly to whatever speed you want.

I recall IT saying about the D2 v D3 v D4 years back, that it's about engagement. For a blast the D2, if you want to arrive as you started, then the D3 and if you want to arrive more relaxed than you started the D4

The FL D2 is certainly more the drivers car - Well.....Assuming the mechanics, those chain guides on the earlier engine are a sod, the gearbox too, the petrol in 4.2 in way more reliable as appears the gearbox!

ulfilias 14th February 2022 10:47 AM

And *SOMEONE* tried, maybe successfully to flip it on ebay, only not really mentioning half of the information :tuttut:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-S8-4...rdt=true&rt=nc

steamship 14th February 2022 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulfilias (Post 168766)
And *SOMEONE* tried, maybe successfully...

Looks to be the case as it's not on their website either.

tonupkid 14th February 2022 08:04 PM

The D2 S8 is about finesse and balance, its a ballerina.
Whereas the D3 S8 is brutal almost violent, something of a heavyweight boxer.
They are very different, and each excellent in their own way.
If you're in love with the way a D2 feels then I'd say skip the D3 and go for a D4.
But that beautiful V10 is an itch in need of scratching....

homer simpson 15th February 2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 168777)
But that beautiful V10 is an itch in need of scratching....

So far it's turned in to full blown eczema for me :ROFL:

milliss2 3rd March 2022 06:17 AM

I brought it back in the end.

Not very happy was told engine was repaired paid more to have back than I sold it for and car is no different now

Not happy at all

milliss2 3rd March 2022 06:24 AM

Anyone ever put cayenne 4.5 turbo engine in a d2. Turbos look in a better position for engine bay

strummagnet 3rd March 2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milliss2 (Post 168960)
Anyone ever put cayenne 4.5 turbo engine in a d2. Turbos look in a better position for engine bay

Think you find it will be a tight squeeze as the lump is longer and taller - the sump would be dragging!!:ROFL:

Anyway that's the extent of what i would know - The Oracle (MJ) might be along later to put you right+++

MikkiJayne 3rd March 2022 10:53 AM

Yeah the Porsche V8 is a big lump of stuff and shares nothing with the Audi V8s. The Audi V8s are wide but very short due to being derived from a FWD platform and having the whole engine in front of the front axle. None of the other manufacturers have similar constraints, all having started with RWD so they're generally quite a bit longer, and usually taller as they sit further back in the engine bay. The LSx can just about be made short enough with cunning combinations of accessory drives from various models, but thats practically impossible in the UK since we just don't have enough of them to play with.

milliss2 3rd March 2022 04:49 PM

Lol. Just weighing up transplant options before I consider a rebuild of engine. As will have to do both heads really if I do one. Not what I was thinking when I brought the car back..
..Guess experience tells me that anyone says they can weld a head to repair and not even removing it from the engine is full of poo. Real shame as I felt I had made the right choice buying the car back on the 200 mile journey home.....well until smoke poured out of the bonnet when I pulled up outside the house.
Annoyingly the car also needs two wheels respraying as well now.