A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Motormouth (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   D2 insurance renewal time (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14036)

briang9 25th October 2018 05:59 PM

I am currently with rescuemycar on a vehicle based policy for each car, however looking at changing to these when renewal is due

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

their personal cover is cheaper than rescuemycar and includes spouse free of charge, lot's of good feedback on them on various other forums too. They don't have a vehicle age limit either, I phoned them to ask+++

27litres 25th October 2018 10:16 PM

Dont you lot still have AA or RAC any more?

Some of the car brands and insurers down here are offering roadside assist now on new cars, but a couple of owners down the line and its RACV almost universally fir breakdown cover (or NRMA in NSW).

HPsauce 26th October 2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 145791)
Dont you lot still have AA or RAC any more?

Indeed we do but due to buyouts of one sort and another they are more into making money than serving customers.

Also many "mainstream" suppliers are not interested in older vehicles, which is why I asked. ;)

MikkiJayne 26th October 2018 08:12 AM

Hmm I have AA cover. It never occurred to check if there's an age limit since they cover me, not specific cars.

HPsauce 26th October 2018 09:08 AM

With mine (Privilege) it's far from obvious when taking out cover. Ours is a combination of specific car (Volvo, any driver, as we add our family onto it at times) and personal cover (both of us) when travelling in (or driving) any car.

The ONLY place I've seen it drawn attention to this time is in the covering letter sent with the renewal schedule, though I was already aware of it (not sure how). I guess it's buried in the full policy somewhere!

The letter specifies "under 16 years old and is privately registered and being used in the UK".

Edit:
The policy states the same thing but in a separate sentence says:
"What's not covered: Journeys in vehicles that are more than 15 years old"
This is confusing as "old" is not defined, though I'm assuming time since first registration not build date as they wouldn't know that.
And what happens in the 1 year period from the cars 15th anniversary to it's 16th? :Confused:

moltuae 26th October 2018 09:15 AM

I'm with the RAC, which covers me personally for any car I'm travelling in. I've been with the RAC for probably 15 years or more. I was with the AA for years before that but they let me down on a number of occasions, one time leaving me stranded for almost the entire day. The RAC have never let me down but I do have very comprehensive cover (home start, free hire car, onward travel, hotel accommodation, etc), which costs about £260 per year.

tintin 26th October 2018 01:14 PM

RAC or not

Like Mark, I've been with RAC for many years, with some real highs and lows - this year's examples being as follows:

1) The low (May): failing to arrive after more than 2 and a half hours (they'd quoted 45 minutes... :( ) , leaving me stranded in a dodgy part of Wolverhampton at 11.30pm.

2) The high (September): arriving on time, taking a practical approach to getting me going again, involving driving another 30 miles to get hold of a replacement wheel and tyre for me and then bringing it back to refit it, saving me an unscheduled overnight stop and loss of a days work.

They cover me for all my cars for unlimited fixes (at home and on the road) for ~£90, which I think is good value: I think I may also have some sort of breakdown cover with my bank, but haven't used that...

steamship 26th October 2018 02:12 PM

I have breakdown cover included with my car insurance, but no idea who it is with.

Was surprised by the cost differences that Mark and Stephen posted, but then I suppose it all depends on what options you tick. I was curious about the RAC of ~£90 so went onto their site to check it out. Best I could manage with the options was around £120. The obvious question to Mark and Stephen then, is do you get some sort of loyalty/no claims discount with the RAC?

... and yes, I must check to see exactly what my cover provides.

MikkiJayne 26th October 2018 02:44 PM

I was with the RAC for years until I realised they were ripping me off on renewals so went to the AA instead. I have 'get me home from wherever I am' cover which is about £100 a year. I don't need home start or all the other shenanigans ;)

moltuae 26th October 2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 145804)
The obvious question to Mark and Stephen then, is do you get some sort of loyalty/no claims discount with the RAC?

I'm probably doing everything wrong, in that I've always just let it roll over, year after year. I'm no doubt getting a little ripped off, but they've never let me down and I don't mind paying more for good service. I could probably get it cheaper if I phone around or threaten to leave but it could end up costing me more in lost time spent on the phone than I might otherwise save. I think it was cheaper for me last year, but I had to call them out recently when my (brand new OE) alternator died.