A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Solar Roof retrofit - Electrickery (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5370)

David's8 16th July 2013 02:07 PM

When i say "driven" I mean the fan is driven by the supply dictated by the relay. (No doubt an electrical wizard will be along soon, so I am preparing to be told to go to my room.)

Adrian E 16th July 2013 02:26 PM

Dezzy

Are you going to AITP? If so can bring a spare relay from mine and see if the behaviour changes?

On a related note does anyone fancy an on stand project to retrofit my solar panel at AITP?! Can but ask lol

Dezzy 16th July 2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 59618)
:ROFL: The picture of Dezzy giving the car a "damn good thrashing" a la Basil Fawlty ..."RIGHT, I'VE WARNED YOU...." springs to mind.

Hmmm don't tempt me, just think of the satisfaction you'd get from smashing all those big, soft Ali panels in.
I was going to say the Austin 1100 or 1300 or Maxi whatever it was would be more reliable but that would be a little harsh perhaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 59621)
Dezzy

Are you going to AITP? If so can bring a spare relay from mine and see if the behaviour changes?

On a related note does anyone fancy an on stand project to retrofit my solar panel at AITP?! Can but ask lol

No mate i'll not be there this year, but thanks for the offer mate +++
Good luck with the retro fitting

PsYcHe 16th July 2013 05:09 PM

Not sure what's causing the clicking unless there's something silly going on with the climate unit.
I am slightly puzzled as to where they got the shorting bar if there was a relay in there before as the bar would be missing (or is that not your picture?)

The relay should have 5 connections on the bottom, that may make a difference as most have only 4 as they are simply on/off where the solar roof one switches between two power sources.

HPsauce 16th July 2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 59628)
(or is that not your picture?)

It's IT's picture from earlier in the thread - relay socket taken from a pre-wired earlier car with no solar panel (and no relay), so the bar is shorting it out.

Dezzy 17th July 2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 59628)
Not sure what's causing the clicking unless there's something silly going on with the climate unit.
I am slightly puzzled as to where they got the shorting bar if there was a relay in there before as the bar would be missing (or is that not your picture?)

The relay should have 5 connections on the bottom, that may make a difference as most have only 4 as they are simply on/off where the solar roof one switches between two power sources.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 59629)
It's IT's picture from earlier in the thread - relay socket taken from a pre-wired earlier car with no solar panel (and no relay), so the bar is shorting it out.

Sorry not a piccy of my car, one i stole from earlier. Just using it to explain where my original relay eneded up. I pulled the board out and realised that i had the relay missing after looking at IT's piccy
I have bought another relay to replace it. I didn't know at the time what the number was untill it arrived i just asked for a solar roof relay. So when it turned up and i went to the car i realised i had a 203 but in the position that 382 takes up in that photo (whatever that is for).
So pushed my new (secondhand) 203 in the empty space and, nothing.
When it did work the moment i pulled the key out the ignition i could hear the fan start up and even varying blower as clouds went over.
I only noticed the clicking when i went to get fuel, i haddn't put any of the passenger side back, as soon as i started to roll forward click, click, click, and clicked faster the quicker i went, reversed back and the same, stopped pulled the relay out and no clicking.

PsYcHe 17th July 2013 08:33 AM

Are the relays not different places on the PF and FL?

Dezzy 17th July 2013 09:16 AM

I relay don't know. Sorry.

I'll take a photo of my relay board Friday when i get home to a camera

PsYcHe 17th July 2013 09:42 AM

You got the handbook, does it not show which relay point it should be.

Dezzy 17th July 2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 59658)
You got the handbook, does it not show which relay point it should be.

I checked owners manual, just list's fuse's for drivers footwell and boot. No mention of the passenger side