A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Fuel and Exhausts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Broken down (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1874)

Singh 8th June 2010 05:36 PM

Broken down

I finished work early today which meant I avoided rush hour so took a detour and had a blast down some country lanes, tiptronic style. Nearing my house accelerating from 10-25 as I was going uphill the car felt slow, so I put my foot down a little bit to get it moving and it went slower still, engine management light came on then I rolled to a stop on the side of the road. Tried restarting but it wouldn't work! AA guy tried for half an hour before giving up. So the AA are coming out with a flatbed in the next 30 mins to take it to Ben. Only problem is I need a car for work and this is the only car I can currently drive. Tried to hire a car but 19 so now I have to go to all the hassle of arranging alternative travel! I hope I can get it back soon, I personally think its the fuel pump and Ben seems to think the same from describing the symptoms to him over the phone.

So what are the costs for the fuel pump and what's involved in the job?

Thanks

Singh 8th June 2010 07:45 PM

Just left now, en route to Burton on trent... :(

jayzee 9th June 2010 11:09 PM

Sorry to hear about your woes mate; hopefully the fix won't break the bank.

Singh 11th June 2010 03:44 PM

Its not looking good, new fuel pump ain't fixed it. Got a feeling its going to be mega bucks, thats not fair straight after a box rebuild :(
Only reasuring thing is its with Ben, if it was with anyone else I would be as worried as hell. If anyone can fix it, its him! And thanks mate for seing my car at such short notice even though your mega busy +++

B@fink 11th June 2010 04:52 PM

crank sensor perhaps? sounds a bit like a lost sensor input....that'd prevent fuel delivery, ecu wouldn't know the engine was on. That'd be not mega bucks.......fingers crossed for you!

Singh 11th June 2010 06:35 PM

Thanks for your reply B@fink +++ but It isn't looking good at all. This looks like it could be the end of D2 ownership for me.:(

B@fink 11th June 2010 07:16 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Singh 12th June 2010 02:19 PM

Went around to look at some new cars today, tried the new Astra and its okay but then I tried the new Polo and really liked it. So I'm now going to see what kind of deal I can get on a 1.2 Moda (good spec) model. Should save me £80 a month in fuel and the best thing is it will be reliable too. Need it asap though. Anyone have any other suggestions? I quite like the Polo though.

Singh 12th June 2010 02:21 PM

By the way, its only got 60 BHP!

My S8 has 6 times that :ROFL:

PsYcHe 12th June 2010 03:08 PM

Seriously????

Not as well getting a new 'whatever is wrong' from A8Parts?

badger7777 12th June 2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 12702)
I tried the new Polo and really liked it. So I'm now going to see what kind of deal I can get on a 1.2 Moda (good spec) model. Should save me £80 a month in fuel and the best thing is it will be reliable too. Need it asap though. Anyone have any other suggestions? I quite like the Polo though.

I bought a new Polo 1.2 Moda for my wife a couple of months ago, it's a really nice car to drive - i did look at other things like a fiat 500, astra etc, but just couldn't bring myself to buy a non-VAG car, build quality and styling are much better IMO. The Moda spec is good, i think the only thing i wish i'd gone for as an extra is a centre armrest.

Ok, it's not an "8", but i sometimes do jump in the polo just for a sly drive in it - parking's a doddle!

Singh 12th June 2010 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is good to know Badger, thanks for your input. The salesman offered me a test drive but I turned it down as I'm not fussed about how it drives. My main reason for buying this car is as it will be reliable and more suited to my daily driving when compared to the S8. If anything the 16.1 second 0-60 time would put me off. What's it like on fuel then?

I have decided on a

1.2 Moda
Nimbus Grey (Metallic)
Strata interior
17'' Boavista alloys
Front centre armrest
RCD 510 touch screen colour headunit with 6 CD changer
I Phone charger/connection

Should look like identical to the one below

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1276367312

Just_Ben 12th June 2010 06:50 PM

Hi mate.

SOrry it's not a simple job, I spent ages trying to get it ready for you. It definately had no fuel pressure before I removed the delivery unit but even with fuel press. it's a no go. It did start but needs some more in depth investigation. Stayed at work till 6:30 mate but gonna have to carry on Monday eve.

Try not to worry, we'll have a 100% answer by Monday and nothing's un-fixable.

Singh 12th June 2010 06:59 PM

Thanks Ben, that is reassuring. I certainly want it fixed and am not going to sell it, just decided I needed something more dependable/reliable for my daily. +++

Reffro 12th June 2010 10:14 PM

Before you commit to buy the Polo, give the Citroen DS3 a look at, its a great car.

Singh 12th June 2010 10:37 PM

Sorry Reffro but the main reason I am buying another car is reliability I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a Citreon. I may consider a Seat Ibiza 1.6 Sport or Audi A1 1.6 TDI sport though, maybe even a 116D coupe. But thats pushing it just price wise. Is the A1 in showrooms yet?

Architex_mA8tey 12th June 2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 12711)
Sorry Reffro but the main reason I am buying another car is reliability I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy a Citreon. I may consider a Seat Ibiza 1.6 Sport or Audi A1 1.6 TDI sport though, maybe even a 116D coupe. But thats pushing it just price wise. Is the A1 in showrooms yet?

UK sales start in Sept 2010 Amar

Reffro 12th June 2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singh (Post 12711)
Sorry Reffro but the main reason I am buying another car is reliability

In which case, Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris, Joint 1st in the latest JD Power survey. Polo was 7th.

Citroen reliability is no worse than VW's now. All that's left is the myth regarding VW reliability, because the fact is they do not score highly in actual measures of reliability. Skoda is the most reliable VW/Audi group brand, therefore how about a Fabia?

Singh 13th June 2010 02:41 AM

I really like Skodas, but I think the new Fabia looks crap so that's a no go. I know Japanese are the most reliable, but just don't like them. Sister brought an Accord and nothing in there seems logical to me in the layout and I don't like the way it says 'Premium sound system' on the sat nav :rolleyes:
I sat in the Polo and felt comfortable straight away, I know that Citroen have scored highly recently and meant that reliablity comment in jest. I forgot to insert (:ROFL:) smiley at the end. But I still don't think I could buy a Citroen. It does look good though, especially the interior. Have you driven one, and why do you recommend it? +++

Reffro 13th June 2010 11:50 AM

Yeah I've driven the DS3. I saw it first last year at the Frankfurt show. Loved the look of it straight away. Prices are OK, not cheap, but the ability to spec the car with the options is great. The option prices aren't that terrible either. Driving wise I'd best describe it as fluent, not the fastest, but does nothing wrong.

jayzee 14th June 2010 04:42 AM

So, are you any closer to finding out what is wrong with your car yet?

Singh 14th June 2010 06:02 PM

Will keep you guys updated as soon as I know, for now though I am hoping to collect my new car sometime this week...

jayzee 14th June 2010 07:44 PM

So it is a positive then?+++

Singh 14th June 2010 08:13 PM

Well I still don't know what is wrong with the S8, and to be honest, I'm a little afraid of finding out. One things for sure, It's going to be expensive. I don't want to sell it for peanuts, and don't have the heart to break it so I will probably repair it or if its new engine time, then a project will be born, I'm thinking 2.7TT RS 4 engine tuned to 500+BHP and 6 speed manual box. But we will have to wait and see...

tonupkid 14th June 2010 08:54 PM

Amar
Don't turn your back on her. She's there, waiting patiently for you to say the word and bring her back to life.
Seriously, could you look her in her Bi-Xenon eye and say... Good Bye... Sob!!

Plus, we need you here in the forum. You're a constant source of new ideas, humour, chat Despite the iffy taste in music

Singh 14th June 2010 09:44 PM

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere :ROFL:

Just_Ben 15th June 2010 07:49 AM

Been snowed under with other work but definitive answer on it's failure and level of damage to follow mate. We'll know later. Had to do a bit of machining to remove #3 spark plug yesterday.

Oli18 15th June 2010 08:51 AM

HI Amar,

What a bummer to hear about this. As you say, not fair considering you only just had the box done.

I know what it feels like to have the engine go...as does mike i'm sure. In the case of my old 3.7QS, it hadn't had the box done yet and the risk was too great to get it repaired at £3k+ but your is truly a unique beast and you've spent so much time and effort getting it to spec, it seems almost cruel not to be able to enjoy her for a bit longer.

I hope it works out ok for you and that you're back on the road soon - i've always loved that green and still have never seen another to date so hope it doesn't have to be sent to S8 heaven!

Good luck! +++

Oli

builder22 17th June 2010 11:12 AM

Hey Amar,

I see from another post that you've bought a 3 series. Does that mean the problem with the S8 is terminal?

Niall

Singh 17th June 2010 12:25 PM

hi, the S8 needs a whole new engine and there aren't any available second hand, so not wanting to pay 6 odd grand to Audi I brought another car to get me to and fro work. My main focus was economy and it is meant to be able to do 62mpg! So its not really a replacement for the S8, as I am getting that fixed too, I am even exploring the possobility of a 500 BHP OEM Audi biturbo engine!

builder22 17th June 2010 01:34 PM

Thats a right pain considering you've just had the gearbox done.

These are great machines when they are running well and in top form, but my god are they a money pit when they go wrong...

Best of luck with the new and old motors, i'm sure Ben can get you sorted regardless.

B@fink 17th June 2010 05:43 PM

a new engine :O what went ping????

Singh 18th June 2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oli18 (Post 12755)
HI Amar,

What a bummer to hear about this. As you say, not fair considering you only just had the box done.

I know what it feels like to have the engine go...as does mike i'm sure. In the case of my old 3.7QS, it hadn't had the box done yet and the risk was too great to get it repaired at £3k+ but your is truly a unique beast and you've spent so much time and effort getting it to spec, it seems almost cruel not to be able to enjoy her for a bit longer.

I hope it works out ok for you and that you're back on the road soon - i've always loved that green and still have never seen another to date so hope it doesn't have to be sent to S8 heaven!

Good luck! +++

Oli

Sorry I missed this post earlier, thanks Oli. It does really help +++

I am bidding on a salvage S8 at the moment with the hope to get the engine out of it, also been offered an A8 engine from A8 parts but would only go for that if I supercharged it. We shall see, I'm in no rush now so can take my time and maybe even build something special

kal_ay 20th June 2010 10:52 PM

Just read this Amar gutted for you mate,dont give up on it bring it back better than before(if thats possible because it was awesome)+++

graynada 21st June 2010 06:13 AM

I too like B@fink am interseted to know how you got from no fuel pressure to new engine and is there anything the rest of us can do in a preventative way to avoid this unfortunate situation you find yourself in now?

jayzee 21st June 2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graynada (Post 12837)
I too like B@fink am interseted to know how you got from no fuel pressure to new engine and is there anything the rest of us can do in a preventative way to avoid this unfortunate situation you find yourself in now?

Yes, it would be very handy to know what happened to your car, especially as nothing went bang.

Very worrying, but I guess very rare?

badger7777 3rd July 2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayzee (Post 12841)
Yes, it would be very handy to know what happened to your car, especially as nothing went bang.

Very worrying, but I guess very rare?

So what went wrong with the engine then Amar?

Just_Ben 3rd July 2010 05:31 PM

The fuel pump was dying a slow death and the level low (I reckon a duff sendor as even less in tank than showed on dash) and a country lane, all added up to a very lean running engine under high load. It has eaten a spark plug and damaged the piston and bore as a result. This is certainly pretty rare and it's the only A/S8 I have seen with such damage!

Absolutley gutted for Amar though, he's only just had the box done and loves his S!!!!

B@fink 3rd July 2010 07:07 PM

no chance of a rebore with oversize on the piston? The engine will be as hard as rocking horse do-do to find.

Singh 3rd July 2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B@fink (Post 13096)
no chance of a rebore with oversize on the piston? The engine will be as hard as rocking horse do-do to find.

Tell me about it :(

Already sourced some RS 6 engines though ;)