A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Common Faults (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Water in the car on headlining (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7422)

daviesbike 4th January 2014 09:08 AM

Water in the car on headlining

I was greeted this morning by a soaking wet headliner driverside that was dripping down on my lap !

is this blocked sun roof drains ect ?

any help would be great thanks +++

Delboy 4th January 2014 09:29 AM

Sounds very like the sunroof drains to me, is this on your d3?

I did mine back in the summer but could only do the fronts as could not see the rears and to get access to them you need to strip the rear wheelwell arch liners out.

To clear my front drains I got a killa spray bottle from b & q.

If you take the lance off the hose and cut about 3 inches of the hose of the end, and assembly the lance back on, now take the piece of hose and replace the spray nozzle with the bit of hose (just push it over the end of the hard pipe)

You now have a bit of hose that fits snugly in the drain hole of the sunroof and you can pressurize the bottle with air first just incase the drain pipe is split and not blocked and then try to clear the blockage both sides.

When i did mine you can clearly hear it spit the crud out the end down near the front wheels.

Then as a belts and braces i filled the bottle with tepid sopay water and pumped a few litres through each side to flush any remaining debris out.

Good luck

daviesbike 4th January 2014 04:53 PM

Yes its on my D3 the LWB ive also had problems with the wipers playing up lately and going very erratic and acting strange

so how do i check the sun roof drains is it the small pipe in the door jam as you open the doors ?

Delboy 4th January 2014 05:17 PM

If you slide the sunroof back, and look into the corners of the body work you will see a hole at each corner, blast these out as i mentioned before.

Some people have had success by shoving something long and thin down the hole, but i wouldn't incase you damaged the drain hose.

http://www.agthompsonfamily.com/vw/SunroofDrain2.jpg

daviesbike 4th January 2014 05:55 PM

Perfect Thank you il give that a Go +++

Adrian E 4th January 2014 06:56 PM

My D2 clogged when I first got it - I have a high pressure under body lance attachment for my pressure washer and a good blast around under the car was enough to clear it and it's never happened again :)

The clear from the top option is the most effective if you have the time and the weather to do it

daviesbike 5th January 2014 12:51 PM

so for some reason my sunroof wont even open now to be able to clear it ? any ideas clogged maybe ?

mannyo 5th January 2014 01:19 PM

Water in the electrics perhaps. You can manually open the sunroof, overriding the electric control. Instructions are in the handbook, not sure on the page number.

HPsauce 5th January 2014 01:40 PM

Pretty sure you just pop the courtesy light panel out and there "should" be a winder key clipped in there.

daviesbike 5th January 2014 06:32 PM

hmmm il have to try that then it sounds like its trying to work it makes a sound and then wont open ... but the tilt function works fine ? strange one .. also have a wiper problem but il post that in the relevant section I think :)

HPsauce 5th January 2014 06:35 PM

If tilt works I'd lift it and have a good look. Might be debris blocking it somehow and even a bit of WD40 might help?
Or give it a bit of "encouragement" while someone else presses the button for you?

daviesbike 26th April 2014 11:55 AM

Ok still no solution ... car emptied about a pint of water all over my lap again.

I cant find where the drains come out can any one help. Or have a diagram would be hand..

On the W12 they come out into the door jam but on the lwb 4.2 for some reason they are blank .. no little pipe coming out into the door jams ?

mannyo 26th April 2014 06:17 PM

They do drain down that side, if its not in the door jam I think the end of the pipe is behind the wheel arch liner.

I was referred to the image below in another thread when investigating why mine groans slightly.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...5&d=1396735038

daviesbike 26th April 2014 08:39 PM

Thank you manny il give that a try ... the problems that water ingress can cause is unreal. Ive never seen anything like it ..

And the D3 is useless with out the mmi .. it dose nothing with out that brain to tell it what to do

ScottD3 28th April 2014 07:29 AM

I had to clean my drains out cause they was full up of gunk.

The passenger side drain is easier to do than the drivers side.

Jack the car up, remove the wheel, remove 6 or so T20 (might be T25) hex screws and gently bend the carpet look alike wheel liner away and behind the caliper.
You will see the drain rubber easy enough.
Open it up and remove as much crap as you can. be prepared for it to go down your arm and up your sleeve.

The passenger side is a little harder cause the washer bottle is in the way but you can move it out of the way enough to get some form of cleaning item in and remove the crud.

I got a bit of tubing and a funnel to help test the drain tubes. saved trying to gently poor water in to the gully around the sun roof.

daviesbike 28th April 2014 09:27 AM

All done .. Thank you .. driverside was a bugger as the washer bottle needs removing to get at it ... surprise surprise they were both welded closed ....

solution screwdriver right in there prodded around and then used a water vac to suck 3 lots of hot soapy water through to clear it all out.

perfect thank you

only other problem is major electrical as a result of this water ingress no mmi functions ... screen is stuck up and the thing gets as far as the boot up screen/welcome screen and thats it

lots of clicking sounds like a relay from the boot area but nothing

any ideas ?

mannyo 24th May 2014 08:08 PM

Got in mine this morning for the first time in a week, and the drivers side headlining was wet as was the A pillar trim on the inside. Looks like my sunroof drain on one side is blocked, the rest of the interior was dry and luckily the MMI controls appeared dry. I've placed a plastic bin bag over the MMI controls for now, and parked the car the other way around so the drivers side is higher because the car is on a slope.

mannyo 25th May 2014 11:21 AM

Looks like both my front drains are blocked as a minimum, because I parked the other way on the slope overnight and after some rain I opened the sunroof. Result is the passenger side front gully is like a swimming pool. There is a very slow drip from the wheel arch where the drain is.

As I don't have access to anything to raise the car to get the wheel off, except the factory jack which I would only use in an emergency I decided to try and at least clear the passenger drain without removing the wheel. After 15mins of pfaffing around I decided its not possible, I removed the torx screws I could access and another 10mm bolt on the underside but was unable to pull back the liner sufficiently to even locate the drain by feel.

I'll have to get a local dorset garage to take a look and clear both drains, whilst they are at it they can fix my screenwash bottle as well.

For now I have covered the centre console in a plastic bin liner to keep the electrics dry if the level gets high enough.

I hope I can get it sorted quickly, as I need the D3 to attend my dads funeral (he passed away just over 1 week ago) and I don't want anyone travelling in the car to get soaked.

mannyo 25th May 2014 12:12 PM

Decided to try the other way, got some wire and poked it down the hole from the sunroof end, got it all the way down to the end but cannot get enough push to get it to go through the rubber end. All thats happening at the moment is the wire kinks, so need a thicker preferably single core wire.

Delboy 25th May 2014 02:02 PM

Be careful if your using stiff single core wire, you run the risk of damaging the hose that runs through the car.

Did you try the bug spray bottle method I mentioned before.

Was successful on my drains and easy to set up

mannyo 25th May 2014 07:44 PM

can you point me at the appropriate bottle, cannot find anything on the b&q website.

Delboy 25th May 2014 09:20 PM

Use this

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-too...skuId=12028339

If you remove the lance and trigger from the hose, then cut off a piece of the hose about 4" long then re assemble the trigger and lance back onto the hose.

Remove the nozzle from the end of the lance and push the piece of hose over the end of the tube enough so it stays on.

You will now find the part of the hose that swells over the lance creates a nice seal in the sunroof drain hole.

I pressurised the bottle with air first to blow the crap out of the drain tube then after it cleared I then filled the bottle with warm soapy water and flushed the drain lines out with a few litres of water.

If all my ramblings is not making sense let me know and I will take photo's of my set so you can see what I mean.

Good luck

mannyo 26th May 2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 75059)
Use this

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-too...skuId=12028339

If you remove the lance and trigger from the hose, then cut off a piece of the hose about 4" long then re assemble the trigger and lance back onto the hose.

Remove the nozzle from the end of the lance and push the piece of hose over the end of the tube enough so it stays on.

You will now find the part of the hose that swells over the lance creates a nice seal in the sunroof drain hole.

I pressurised the bottle with air first to blow the crap out of the drain tube then after it cleared I then filled the bottle with warm soapy water and flushed the drain lines out with a few litres of water.

If all my ramblings is not making sense let me know and I will take photo's of my set so you can see what I mean.

Good luck

Del, that did the trick. Purchased the very same bottle and followed the instructions you posted. My sunroof surround is no longer a lake, cleared both front drains. You can actually hear the air escaping from the other end of the drain tube.

I've not flushed them through yet, it was raining when I unblocked them. For now I just wanted to remove the risk of the interior getting wet again.

Delboy 26th May 2014 08:06 PM

Glad you got it sorted mate, last thing we need in these cars is water pouring in over the electrickery.

MAM 26th May 2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daviesbike (Post 66111)
I was greeted this morning by a soaking wet headliner driverside that was dripping down on my lap !

is this blocked sun roof drains ect ?

any help would be great thanks +++

Glad you got sorted +++, but it does open up the old question - why on earth would you get a can opener and cut a hole in a perfectly good roof? :ROFL:

madcjd 26th May 2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyo (Post 75024)
Got in mine this morning for the first time in a week, and the drivers side headlining was wet as was the A pillar trim on the inside. Looks like my sunroof drain on one side is blocked, the rest of the interior was dry and luckily the MMI controls appeared dry. I've placed a plastic bin bag over the MMI controls for now, and parked the car the other way around so the drivers side is higher because the car is on a slope.

Ditto....
Got into the old girl today after work (and lots of rain)!
Noticed a drip from the centre of the roof, around the lights and sunroof control knob, then, saw that the top of both 'A' posts was clearly damp, as was the lower of the nearside 'A' post trim, where it meets the dash.
A job for when the rain stops - hopefully a simple drain clear job.