A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Fuel and Exhausts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   New Exhaust (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14489)

moltuae 20th September 2018 08:05 PM

New Exhaust

7 Attachment(s)
Well I finally managed to find someone local, willing and reputable to make a new exhaust system for me (some of you may remember my cats started failing at the annual meet, indicated by an embarrassingly loud rattle, which got gradually worse).

So I went to Zaustworx in Darwen and asked for a "sporty but not too loud" system, with sports cats. The result is somewhat louder than I had in mind! :eek:

Video and photos here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Zaustwor...xhausts/posts/

Sounds incredible but I think I'll probably go back to have it quietened a little ... once the fun wears off! :snigger:

Price was £1,100 (inc cats), which was very reasonable I thought, especially considering Audi wanted nearly £2.5K for the cats alone (which are now NLA).

A few more photos ...

steamship 20th September 2018 08:20 PM

Lovely sound, and a lot better than the 'Rice Krispies' sounding ones. +++

RICKY D 21st September 2018 05:45 AM

Very nice looking and sounding :love:

Is drone you want to address or just overall loudness?

Conan_the_Librarian 21st September 2018 06:03 AM

:D+++:D

pete-p 21st September 2018 08:51 AM

Love it +++ it's so nice hearing the V8 properly but I guess it could be a bit much if you use it every day.

I don't see any H or X pipe though, could be that I'm missing it or was it not something you went with?

moltuae 21st September 2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY D (Post 145174)
Very nice looking and sounding :love:

Is drone you want to address or just overall loudness?

A bit of both I think. It's quite a bit louder and more droney than I was expecting. I haven't driven it far since collecting it yet though so I need to see what it's like at cruise and at higher speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete-p (Post 145177)
I don't see any H or X pipe though, could be that I'm missing it or was it not something you went with?

I didn't ask for one. I just asked for a 'sporty' (but not too loud or droney) exhaust. I left it to them to design it. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that if it needed something like an H or X pipe they would've fitted one.

MikkiJayne 21st September 2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 145178)
I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that if it needed something like an H or X pipe they would've fitted one.

A crossover pipe will reduce the noise and increase power so it might be a simple fix. Both the stock and Milltek have H pipes, in roughly the same place. I'll measure where it is +++

moltuae 21st September 2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 145179)
A crossover pipe will reduce the noise and increase power so it might be a simple fix. Both the stock and Milltek have H pipes, in roughly the same place. I'll measure where it is +++

Great, thanks +++

moltuae 21st September 2018 10:38 AM

Incidentally, I contacted a few cat recycling places to sell my old cats.

The best quote I've had so far is £110 per cat (lowest offered just £50 each). Is that a reasonable offer?

MikkiJayne 21st September 2018 11:00 AM

That's a remarkable price! I can only get about £25 for them round here.

moltuae 21st September 2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 145184)
That's a remarkable price! I can only get about £25 for them round here.

Wow. Might be worthwhile posting them up here. This is the place that is offering me £110 each:
https://www.scrapcatalysts.co.uk/

I was originally told 'at least £50' each, depending on the part number. They upped the offer to £110 each once I was able to send them photos and confirm part numbers (4D0131701DQ and 4D0131701DR).

MikkiJayne 21st September 2018 11:33 AM

Definitely! It looks like they're actually doing the break down and extraction so it makes sense that they will be paying a lot more since you're cutting out all the dealers in between who are taking their cut.

I might have a sort through my scrap pile :D

barzya8 21st September 2018 01:13 PM

I was offered £55 for my one down here in the south.
Decided to save it for MJ though who wants to play around with it.
Will take it to ADI in October and give to Mike for onward transportation to MJ :)

tintin 21st September 2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 145186)
Definitely! It looks like they're actually doing the break down and extraction so it makes sense that they will be paying a lot more since you're cutting out all the dealers in between who are taking their cut.

I might have a sort through my scrap pile :D

Me too! I have my old pair of cats sitting in my garage from when I replaced them - sounds like an easy way of getting £100!

HPsauce 21st September 2018 04:06 PM

When I replaced (one of) mine a while back it was on an exchange basis, with a significant charge if you didn't send the old one back.

Just as well, as I wouldn't have been able to sell it, there was next to nothing inside! :tuttut:

tonupkid 21st September 2018 04:19 PM

I have three cats going spare. For free to anyone who enjoys fur on their clothes

moltuae 27th September 2018 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 145191)
I have three cats going spare. For free to anyone who enjoys fur on their clothes

Friend of my Mum's, who knew very little about cars, used to have an early RAV4 with a picture of a bulldog on the spare wheel.

So when she phoned the local garage to book it in for a service one day and the mechanic asked "does it have a cat on it love?", I can't help wondering who the most confused was, her or the mechanic, when she replied "no, but it does have a dog on it". :ROFL:

Well, I arranged to drop my old cats off today. Couldn't have gone smoother. There was someone there to meet me when I arrived and I was paid the agreed price via an instant transfer to my bank account. I'd definitely recommend these guys. My guess is that they might not offer quite so much for some of the earlier cats but that you can expect a minimum of £50 each.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1538077175

I'm quite enjoying the new exhaust now, despite it being waaay louder than I expected but it does feel a little down on power so I think I will go back for an X/H pipe
... once MJ has had chance to get the measurements for me ;) :D

27litres 30th September 2018 10:42 PM

That sounds great Mark, I'll have two just like it thanks!

moltuae 1st October 2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 27litres (Post 145391)
That sounds great Mark, I'll have two just like it thanks!

Haha. He probably would post a system (or two) out to you, though I don't know what the shipping fees to Oz would be. He does actually sell full and partial exhaust systems online I believe, to both the UK and abroad. I don't know if he kept a record of the measurements to make another system but I could easily call back in if not.

I might be taking it back for a H/X-Pipe at some point anyway. Although I must admit, what seemed almost embarrassingly loud at first is now really beginning to grow on me! I absolutely love the sound it makes but it does make me feel a bit 'boy-racer' ... which wouldn't be so bad, if I could still pass for 'boy-racer'. Trouble is, I look more mid-life-crisis-man-racer now :ROFL:

MikkiJayne 25th October 2018 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The H in the stock system goes right behind the second brace bar which is conspicuous by its absence in the this pic, but you can see the bolt holes :rolleyes: Its exactly in line with the two heat shield studs:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1540494184

The Millltek has something similar but I'm not sure whether its in the same place or not.

Front is down.

moltuae 25th October 2018 08:52 PM

Brilliant. Thanks for that MJ +++

Goran 28th October 2018 10:16 AM

Looks great! Post up the video if you have it, I would love to hear how it sounds. Couldn't find it on facebook (havent got facebook)

For selling your used cats, give these guys a ring. If I remember correctly they gave me £127 each!

http://www.fjchurch.co.uk/

moltuae 28th October 2018 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 145837)
(havent got facebook)

Me neither. Which made communicating with Gary at Zaustworx somewhat difficult since, bizarrely, he seems to do all his business communications through Facebook! Emails and website contacts go unanswered.

If you get rid of the nagging FB pop-ups (the ones that try to coerce you into registering) and keep scrolling down, it's still there, around 20th September.

This is a direct link to it on FB (I think).
https://www.facebook.com/ZaustworxCu...9764221425173/

Also, I've managed to download the video from the FB page (attached).

Goran 28th October 2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 145838)
Me neither. Which made communicating with Gary at Zaustworx somewhat difficult since, bizarrely, he seems to do all his business communications through Facebook! Emails and website contacts go unanswered.

If you get rid of the nagging FB pop-ups (the ones that try to coerce you into registering) and keep scrolling down, it's still there, around 20th September.

This is a direct link to it on FB (I think).
https://www.facebook.com/ZaustworxCu...9764221425173/

Also, I've managed to download the video from the FB page (attached).

Thanks! It sounds great!
Maybe with no crossover it sounds different than with a H or X.

sarg 13th October 2021 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 145179)

Interesting - do you reckon this could be added to the custom system to reduce the noise?

MikkiJayne 13th October 2021 07:14 AM

A crossover pipe and a centre silencer with some wadding in it will make a fair bit of difference

Mossyboy1978 13th October 2021 09:18 AM

I recently had my exhaust done. Both cats had failed and I could not find any anywhere to replace them with. I used a firm in High Wycombe called Style Dynamics (who do have a website and a phone line thankfully!) I had both cats cut out, replaced with sports cats and new piped down to the start of the Miltek system. They charged £850 (but remember this wasn’t a full system) and they were an absolute joy to deal with. The result is fantastic. Noise is as it was when it left the factory with the added Miltek growl. Very good service and very solid outcome. Can’t recommend them enough.