A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Daily banter (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   It's been emotional..... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12357)

Adrian E 26th November 2016 04:19 PM

It's been emotional.....

Hi folks

As some of you may know I've been debating selling my FE for some time, with occasional half-hearted posts suggesting I might let it go, but no real effort going into advertising. I nearly had a buyer a couple of months ago, but it fell through due to change in his circumstances.

Well today I bid farewell to the S8 - it's currently on a long road trip to Glasgow where it's taking up residence with another fanatical Audi owner who happens to have need for a family wagon. It's basically the same reasoning that saw me buying the S8 6 years ago :D Hopefully Andy will register on here and may well be seen by the others on here who know the car that live up that way.

I can't recall being this emotional about selling a car, ever. I've been feeling properly depressed all afternoon :-(

It probably doesn't help that the sale is partly due to hoping to move house and wanting the space and cash for the costs with that, but the market seems very slow round here at the moment, so no immediate plans for a replacement to cushion the feeling of loss. Long term I want an RS6 Avant, but may need to buy something small and sensible in the New Year if the house isn't progressing.

I'm sure I'll hang around on here as I've always enjoyed posting, both to learn stuff myself and to help others out.

Thanks to Neil for the help he's given in finding the right home for the S8 and to Chris from AOC who has also helped point people my way.

Life goes on, but a little poorer for the loss of my S8 :-(

Cheers all

Adrian

tintin 26th November 2016 04:31 PM

A big day Adrian, and I can imagine how that must feel, given your attachment to the car and the attention you gave it. At least you know it's gone to a good home, which I know I'd want to know, if I ever came to sell mine.

Please stick around - it'll help with the therapy :p , and your knowledge and opinion will continue to be appreciated on here. I think we also have a rule that S8 members are also life members at meets don't we? - so we'll no doubt see you then.

Anyway, I think S8 ownership is like a boomerang, it'll come back to you sometime...

MikkiJayne 26th November 2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 120320)
I can't recall being this emotional about selling a car, ever. I've been feeling properly depressed all afternoon :-(

I know how you feel. I was the same way when I traded my first D2 because the gearbox was dead. This was 6 months before A8parts started trading, and it was beyond my ability to fix it at the time. I traded it for a diesel Jag X type :hammer: It seemed like a good idea at the time, but the drive home from York to Devon was somewhat solemn, and that car turned out to be the worst POS I've ever owned. It took me 8 years to get another one.

I'm sure an RS6 will satisfy the big Audi lust in due course though :)

Oh, and I'll have a 1.4 Polo, a C5 TDI Avant, and a B5 TDI Avant available at various times in the spring so if any of those are suitably sensible drop me a line +++

briang9 26th November 2016 05:07 PM

Glad to hear it's gone to a good home at least Adrian, must have indeed been a sad day for you:(......can't imagine ever selling mine, which is why I am forever grateful to SWMBO for not doubting my very shaky man maths when I bought the RS6+++

Have to look out for it up this way, do you know which part of Glasgow its coming to?

cheers

1781cc 26th November 2016 05:38 PM

Shame you've come to that decision as the D2's are just going to appreciate and appreciate, but then again, so do houses and I can see where your focus lies - the sense of loss will pass, nothing lasts forever, not even cars.

Somewhere down the line you will fall in love with another toy, it happens.

Thanks for helping me on my journey into S8 ownership as well, you were the conduit to my purchase, appreciate it +++

tintin 26th November 2016 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 120323)
Glad to hear it's gone to a good home at least Adrian, must have indeed been a sad day for you:(......can't imagine ever selling mine, which is why I am forever grateful to SWMBO for not doubting my very shaky man maths when I bought the RS6+++

I think she's about 17 favours in credit Brian, or is that just my man maths ;)...

moltuae 26th November 2016 06:03 PM

Glasgow? Is that where D2s go to retire so that they can receive all the gearbox care they need in their old age? :)

I know how you must feel Adrian, I'd find it extremely difficult to part with my S8.

David's8 26th November 2016 06:11 PM

Sorry you felt you had to sell Adrian. Its something many of have to face as we transition from one life phase to another. (apart from BrianG... :p )
Many thanks for your contributions etc on the forum. +++

Adrian E 26th November 2016 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 120323)
do you know which part of Glasgow its coming to?

Hiya

Googling the postcode suggests out to the East side of Glasgow.

Thanks all for the comments - the 2nd bottle of wine still isn't helping :ROFL:

When I bought the S8 I intended to keep it 2 years, and it's been way longer than that because they're just so special. It's the car I've owned the longest, I think :(

tc4332 26th November 2016 07:15 PM

Adrian,
Whatever else you do, for the sake of God and the rest of us mere mortals, please, pretty please, stay in touch. We will need your expertise for a long time into the future.
If you vanish you will find out that ve hav ze vays to trace you!!!!

briang9 26th November 2016 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 120332)
Sorry you felt you had to sell Adrian. Its something many of have to face as we transition from one life phase to another. (apart from BrianG... :p )
Many thanks for your contributions etc on the forum. +++

I think Adrian and me are at opposite ends of the life transitions phase, and TBH my most recent phase gave me the means to add another car to the drive:D I am hoping at the next stage, when we downsize the house, I can create an equally creative man maths case to add yet more......;)

Sorry to hijack your thread Adrian, and good luck with the house hunting and "sensible" car options+++

ETA... only seems like yesterday:D

http://audisrs.com/about20136.html

notorious 26th November 2016 09:23 PM

Hi Adrian, good luck and stay in touch. Will you be selling sunroof that we didn't manage to install?

barzya8 26th November 2016 09:49 PM

Hi Adrian,
So sorry to hear that you have sold your car, but fully understand your reasons for doing so.
I took me over two years to find my Final Edition S8, after having had a run in yours, despite owning a A8 QS 4,2. The difference is so significant.
Thanks for being so helpful with all your advice and guidance.
If you need to ever scratch that itch again with the D2 S8, without buying one, mine will be available for you to scratch that itch when needed. Just ask.
Good luck with the house move and let me know where you eventually settle.
Good Luck
David +++:-(:(:D

Architex_mA8tey 27th November 2016 06:42 PM

Same sentiments from me Adrian - please stick around and keep contributing as you have done, your input has been invaluable, as has your company at so many meets. GLad to have helped find a hopefully good home for what has got to be one of the nicest S8 Final Editions that was out there in the market place!
Hope things all go smoothly for you with the move etc and please do stay in touch +++

pete-p 28th November 2016 07:54 AM

Hi Adrian. I'm sorry to hear you've had to sell I know a little about how you feel after selling my B5 S4. It's funny how attached we become to our cars.

I've not seen your S8 in the flesh but the photos certainly always looked good. All the best with your house move and I hope you're back in an Audi soon.

Adrian E 28th November 2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briang9 (Post 120338)

ETA... only seems like yesterday:D

http://audisrs.com/about20136.html

Good find! Doesn't seem all that long ago, but I know a lot has changed in my life in that time lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 120345)
Hi Adrian, good luck and stay in touch. Will you be selling sunroof that we didn't manage to install?

Will do +++ The sunroof kit with loom went with the car - along with my 'spare' Milltek back box and everything else I'd been hanging on to. Think all I've got left which I'd forgotten about is an auto dimming rear view mirror and a set of Thule aero bars! The solar roof I really wish I'd got around to doing, but lack of space and time just got in the way :o

Adrian E 28th November 2016 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barzya8 (Post 120346)
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for being so helpful with all your advice and guidance.
If you need to ever scratch that itch again with the D2 S8, without buying one, mine will be available for you to scratch that itch when needed. Just ask.
Good luck with the house move and let me know where you eventually settle.
Good Luck
David +++:-(:(:D

Thanks David +++

At the moment I think we'll be staying put till spring as the market seems very slow, even accounting for the run up to December....

At least the garage is clear for emptying the loft into and otherwise clearing the house out!

Adrian E 28th November 2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 120376)
Same sentiments from me Adrian - please stick around and keep contributing as you have done, your input has been invaluable, as has your company at so many meets. GLad to have helped find a hopefully good home for what has got to be one of the nicest S8 Final Editions that was out there in the market place!
Hope things all go smoothly for you with the move etc and please do stay in touch +++

Thanks Neil - will aim to stick around :D - and thanks again for your help in finding a suitable new home for the S8. I hope it got up to Glasgow OK as haven't heard yet.....

Adrian E 28th November 2016 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete-p (Post 120408)
I've not seen your S8 in the flesh but the photos certainly always looked good. All the best with your house move and I hope you're back in an Audi soon.

Cheers - I can still 'slum it' in the S5 in the meantime - although 1 car ownership is already proving a drag!

briang9 28th November 2016 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 120485)
Good find! Doesn't seem all that long ago, but I know a lot has changed in my life in that time lol :o

yeah I know, doesn't seem that long ago, fair bit changed for me too+++

Goran 29th November 2016 08:51 AM

Adrian I can't believe you sold it! I must have been asleep I only just noticed this thread.
Good luck with the house move and with the new car when it arrives.
Like Tintin said you never know, 8's are like a boomerang :)

HPsauce 29th November 2016 09:03 AM

As Arnie said (sort of) - "He'll be back". +++

What area are you hoping to move to Adrian?

Adrian E 29th November 2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 120499)
Adrian I can't believe you sold it! I must have been asleep I only just noticed this thread.
Good luck with the house move and with the new car when it arrives.
Like Tintin said you never know, 8's are like a boomerang :)

Thanks - at the moment we're not going anywhere short term - but we saw a house locally that we liked, which pushed us into putting ours on the market. Unfortunately we've had little interest in ours, but the one we wanted has now sold :-( so we're in for the long haul now. The house we'll be moving to will have a double garage, so toys can be accommodated :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 120500)
As Arnie said (sort of) - "He'll be back". +++

What area are you hoping to move to Adrian?

Staying local Andrew, within a few miles anyway +++

Adrian E 14th January 2017 04:40 PM

After 49 days of being depressingly car-less, pick up the replacement wheels tomorrow :D

Been toying with a few options along the 'sensible' lines - looked at possibly an Abarth 595, but too small; new Focus ST-3 but couldn't live with the ride quality, or the tightness of the front seats. Settled on a VW Golf as being the right size compromise of not too small/not too big. Briefly debated Mk6 R vs Mk7 GTI but David (DJS on here) reckoned the Mk7 is the better car and talked me out of it +++

Finding a Mk7 GTI (naturally the 'Performance Pack' with LSD and extra 10bhp, bigger brakes) with leather has proved problematic but put a deposit on a lovely spec 1 year old one today and it's got all the toys I wanted, plus a few more!

YorkshireBloke 14th January 2017 07:34 PM

Well done, still VAG!

Hi Adrian,

Hope you'll still be a contributor to the A8 Forum... Really do hope the Golf works for you but find it hard to imagine you will form the emotional bonds as before...

I would now buy VAG just to be able to exhibit at the most amusingly named car show ever....

STRAIGHT OUT OF KEMPTON! :ROFL: :ROFL:

As others have said, A8s are Boomerangs... :love:

Robert

PS, Am taking public transport to Edinburgh to buy an LPG Mazda tomorrow! I didn't know I was doing that until 6:30 pm this evening...

David's8 24th January 2017 09:00 AM

Hi Adrian,
Has your buyer joined the forum - or have I missed a thread/post?

Adrian E 24th January 2017 07:51 PM

Hi David

I believe he's registered but hasn't posted on here as yet. Has posted on AudiSRS +++

Adrian

paulrstaylor 24th January 2017 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I suspect your old car is now sitting on my old winter wheels +++

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1485292125

Adrian E 25th January 2017 07:55 AM

Correct +++

briang9 25th January 2017 07:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 123287)
I suspect your old car is now sitting on my old winter wheels +++

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1485292125

I know they are winter wheels and I have some 18s I put on mine..but that picture really does make me realise how much better these cars look on the 20" wheels+++

paulrstaylor 25th January 2017 08:05 PM

Agreed - but 20's are not ideal for winter tyres +++

My D4 has 19's for winter and 20's in the summer - just makes you appreciate it more when you switch wheels in the spring!