A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Audi D2 FL instrument cluster (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16962)

nakata 12th March 2023 03:04 PM

Audi D2 FL instrument cluster

Here is one project with final design for instrument cluster for D2. Is used C5 cluster fitted to D2.
https://i.imgur.com/6Upw1cK.jpg

MikkiJayne 12th March 2023 03:22 PM

Nice! Thats C5 cluster internals in a D2 cluster housing?

Do all the buttons still work? Does the fuel gauge behave properly?

Ronin 12th March 2023 03:39 PM

What are the main benefits of doing this?
I can see that you lose the colour display, but gain the voltage gauge

MikkiJayne 12th March 2023 04:13 PM

and oil temp gauge. So annoying that the D2 measures oil temp but won't show you it.

nakata 12th March 2023 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 172354)
Nice! Thats C5 cluster internals in a D2 cluster housing?

Do all the buttons still work? Does the fuel gauge behave properly?

Fuel gauge is need to be reprogaming eeprom to work properly. On C5 work on backwark. And with different resistent from sensor.

nakata 12th March 2023 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakata (Post 172357)
Fuel gauge is need to be reprogaming eeprom to work properly. On C5 work on backwark. And with different resistent from sensor.

А6 internals with new custom face to D2 housing.

Main benefits is ABS 5.7 and D2 have modern brakes. But this is other modification.

Adrian E 12th March 2023 04:41 PM

I wonder if that would allow 'proper' RNS-E directions on the DIS? I expect it should, given the RNS-E was available in very late C5s

nakata 12th March 2023 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian E (Post 172360)
I wonder if that would allow 'proper' RNS-E directions on the DIS? I expect it should, given the RNS-E was available in very late C5s

This car not have RNS-E, so cant confirm.

pete-p 13th March 2023 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 172356)
and oil temp gauge. So annoying that the D2 measures oil temp but won't show you it.

Same with the battery gauge. Why do manufacturers remove the useful dials all the time.

nakata 13th March 2023 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete-p (Post 172364)
Same with the battery gauge. Why do manufacturers remove the useful dials all the time.

Main reason is not for extra gauges, but very good upgrade for ABS and brakes. D2 not have good brake at all, which is caused by bad ABS system.

MikkiJayne 13th March 2023 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakata (Post 172366)
Main reason is not for extra gauges, but very good upgrade for ABS and brakes. D2 not have good brake at all, which is caused by bad ABS system.

Could you explain that please? What have you identified in the ABS system which causes poor performance?

nakata 14th March 2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 172367)
Could you explain that please? What have you identified in the ABS system which causes poor performance?

Actually weak point is external ESP pump for ABS 5.3 unit. Which make some internal bleed and lowering pressure to brake caliper. Which can be feel as sponge brake pedal. Now have ABS 5.7 from C5 latest year(2002-2005) have internal control for ESP and havent this kind of problems. Pedal is firm and sensitive. Hope to understand my poor english.

HPsauce 14th March 2023 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakata (Post 172370)
Actually weak point is external ESP pump for ABS 5.3 unit. Which make some internal bleed and lowering pressure to brake caliper. Which can be feel as sponge brake pedal.

The biggest problem most of us have with the D2 brakes is that soft feel, which seems to be mostly down to the insecure mounting of the servo. Many of us have adopted MJs brake support block.
Quote:

Pedal is firm and sensitive.

This is exactly how mine is now after fitting it. A purely mechanical solution, quick and easy to fit. You might want to try it as well? +++

Start here for the full story: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1614
Continued here for UK people: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15947

MikkiJayne 14th March 2023 02:23 PM

Quote:

Actually weak point is external ESP pump for ABS 5.3 unit. Which make some internal bleed and lowering pressure to brake caliper. Which can be feel as sponge brake pedal. Now have ABS 5.7 from C5 latest year(2002-2005) have internal control for ESP and havent this kind of problems. Pedal is firm and sensitive. Hope to understand my poor english.

That is interesting thank you +++ My 03 Allroad has 5.3 with the external pump and has awful brakes compared to my 03 A6 which has 5.something without the pump and has excellent brakes. It never occurred to me that the external pump could cause that. Tbh I suspected the single vs dual servo.

So, next question: what interaction does the cluster have with the ABS that requires changing to the C5 one? I thought it only talked to the ECU/TCU, other than warning lights?

Your English is fine, no worries :) I appreciate you indulging my curiosity.

HPsauce 14th March 2023 04:21 PM

Quote:

Now have ABS 5.7 from C5 latest year(2002-2005)

I just looked at a VCDS scan of my (built in 2002) S8 and the ABS module (4D0 907 389 E) says version D57 which I'm guessing is 5.7 to you.
I wonder what versions were used over the years on S8s of various iterations?

Our sponsors have one for sale from a 2000 A8 3.7 which is a D46. https://www.prestigemotorservices.co...tem-16098.html

MikkiJayne 14th March 2023 04:26 PM

5.0 until 1997, 5.3 from then on, according to the documentation, although there are several variations within those models.

HPsauce 14th March 2023 04:57 PM

Could 5.7 have been introduced with FL.2?
Anything different under the bonnet that would be obvious to a novice like me?

MikkiJayne 14th March 2023 07:21 PM

FL1 and FL2 are all the same with the external return pump which, from Elsawin, is 5.3. The Allroad and C5 S6 prefacelift also use 5.3.

The 5.7 Nakata refers to turns up in the C5 A6 Facelift (02-05). This has ABS and ESP integrated in to the main pump block, with no external ECU or return pump. It makes sense that it would have a better pedal feel since it doesn't have the external pump or extra plumbing.

I'm entirely happy with decent calipers and a brake block, but that doesn't make it any less interesting or valid from an engineering perspective :)

HPsauce 14th March 2023 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 172373)
I just looked at a VCDS scan of my (built in 2002) S8 and the ABS module (4D0 907 389 E) says version D57 which I'm guessing is 5.7 to you.

So is that a red herring or misunderstanding by me? :o

MikkiJayne 14th March 2023 10:26 PM

Unrelated, just a firmware version I suspect.

nakata 15th March 2023 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 172371)
The biggest problem most of us have with the D2 brakes is that soft feel, which seems to be mostly down to the insecure mounting of the servo. Many of us have adopted MJs brake support block. This is exactly how mine is now after fitting it. A purely mechanical solution, quick and easy to fit. You might want to try it as well? +++

Start here for the full story: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1614
Continued here for UK people: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15947

Well this can improve a little bit, not whole problem. Internal bleeding is common problem for many old or high millage ABS system. Pedal going slowly almost to floor. Even if u change Brake servo with bigger/stronger with MC have same feeling of flooring brake pedal. If use stock caliper this feeling is blunted, but when put some big calipers/big brake setup/ this feeling is more effect.
ABS 5.7 to integrated on D2 is lot of work is need change of ECU, TCU and Instrument cluster. Now D2 is indentifing as A6/software/. Instrument cluster is reprogrammed eeprom to work correct fuel gauge with D2 fuel lever.

nakata 15th March 2023 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 172372)
That is interesting thank you +++ My 03 Allroad has 5.3 with the external pump and has awful brakes compared to my 03 A6 which has 5.something without the pump and has excellent brakes. It never occurred to me that the external pump could cause that. Tbh I suspected the single vs dual servo.

So, next question: what interaction does the cluster have with the ABS that requires changing to the C5 one? I thought it only talked to the ECU/TCU, other than warning lights?

Your English is fine, no worries :) I appreciate you indulging my curiosity.

So high pressure from MC going to this external pump which have one non return valve-which make internal bleeding and return fluid directly to tank. This idea is laying to me for more than 10 years, im not having D2 anymore.

About warning lights- is not solution to have christmass tree on dash. At this scenario not have ABS-ESP and etc. This can be done with bypass external pump. But for me is not solution.
So to work everything perfectly is need to be changed ECU from A6/S6 4.2, TCU/if have AT/, and of course instrument cluster to work correctly ABS. To be detailed cluster is needed only for correct reading of speed for ABS.

nakata 27th March 2023 07:47 AM

Are someone is interesting of info for abs conversion?

Ronin 27th March 2023 09:44 PM

Yes!