A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Rear Glass / Condensation (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11157)

1781cc 8th February 2016 01:27 PM

Rear Glass / Condensation

My rear glass has condensation on the right lower part and I wondered about the best way to get this resealed?

I just spoke to auto glass and they said that the can't guarantee the glass will come out in one piece, so can only be booked in as a replacement, to the tune of nearly £600 :-(

What has everyone else undertaken to solve this condensation issue on the D3 S8? I am guessing its a seal that has perished or separated as I have no sunroof, so its obviously not sunroof drains

Any help appreciated!

Delboy 8th February 2016 01:57 PM

It's the only way to do it, I recommend you have a look at the procedure though for cutting it out that's in the Audi manuals and of course refitting it the way Audi would

1781cc 8th February 2016 02:19 PM

Do you have a copy of this procedure? or anyone else? or should I book this into Audi? I really don't want the job being b*llsed up!

Delboy 8th February 2016 02:32 PM

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9347

Document 28

1781cc 8th February 2016 02:39 PM

WOAH!!! I didn't see that list of resources before (must need my eyes testing)

That is so helpful - thanks a bunch! +++

1781cc 9th February 2016 12:02 PM

spoke to auto glass, they do replacement only and even then not under insurance. So I contacted Audi and they put me in touch with their glass fitters, Corby Windscreens, apparently they work on all the stuff in the Vindis group.

They have advised that if its toughened glass it should come out ok with no problems and will go back in at a total cost of £125 + VAT which seems pretty decent to me.

However, and here is the rub, if its a laminated one, chances are it might crack and if that happens I will need another new rear window from Audi that could come in between £700-£900

With the interests of bracing myself beforehand - does anyone know if the rear glass is toughened or laminated...

** I am sitting down now, so hit me... **

mattylondon 9th February 2016 12:28 PM

£125 + vat is an extremely good price knowing that aerials are mounted at the top of the glass. And I'm sure it will be a pain of a job.

As for if it's laminated I'm not 100% sure, but am thinking it will be. I remember in my PR codes burglar-restrained glass which I should think is laminated.

Here are the PR codes for D3 side and rear glass.
PRCode: 4KC = Side and rear windows in heat-insulatingglass
PRCode: 4KS = Side and rear windows
PRCode: 4KV = Side and rear windows in laminated glass
PRCode: VW5 = Side and rear windows
PRCode: VW8 = Side and rear windows burglar-restrained

ainarssems 9th February 2016 08:19 PM

Corby Windscreens did a good job on our A6 replacing front windscreen . It was booked in at Audi Northampton, I paid Audi, they supplied the materials and arranged for Corby Windscreens to come out and change the glass. It was cheap as well, don't remember exact price but discounted price was a bit over £300, which I then claimed back from insurance.

On another thought if you can find exactly where the gap is you might be able just to seal it from outside(or inside) without taking windscreen out.

tonupkid 9th February 2016 08:56 PM

If its heat reflective or twin pane I'd guess its got to be laminated

Lee S 10th February 2016 02:25 PM

Mine has this condensation too (MY2010). Bit poor in my opinion if it is the seal/bond. I just dry it out with kitchen roll and leave it but it does seem to be worse this year. Are we 100% sure that its is a leaking seal and not something else like a grommet hole in the panel below? I guess it will only get worse. :(

mattylondon 10th February 2016 02:56 PM

I also get some condensation on the rear window. It doesn't happen when raining only when the temperature drops. I've double checked there are no leaks and the seals are good. So I've put the problem down to the fact that the A8 is highly sealed and doesn't allow many air changes to give proper ventilation when parked up. As a crude calculation of only 1 air change per hour we would need about 5000litres of air movement, which I doubt the A8 achieves. Ideally 4 changes per hour would be needed. Also it depends on the relative humidity within the cabin. So if there are HVAC drain problems it will exaggerate the condensation problem because the dew point will be higher inside the cabin.
In my old A4 I used to leave the sun roof open ever so slightly, even when it rained, and that car was dry as a bone with zero condensation problems. Sadly my '8 doesn't have a sun roof.
From what I know in the building industry a highly sealed environment with poor ventilation is a breading ground for condensation problems and then worse, as Mike discovered in his S8.

Edit:
Do you have the ski hatch into the boot? Try leaving this open and the boot side panels removed to encourage more air changes as behind the rear bumper there are two 'hit and miss' vents. It's worth a try to see if it lessens the condensation +++

kele 10th February 2016 03:25 PM

I also had a leak on the top near side of the rear screen. It was fine unless it was raining! It was only if it rained that I got condensation and actually water drips.

Seemingly seals are not covered under the 'comprehensive' audi used approved warrentee. So the answer was a new screen. That was over 2 years ago now. It's been fine since....

Lee S 10th February 2016 03:42 PM

Yeah. I put it down to condensation inside the vehicle. I have been doing a lot of loading/unloading, baby-in/baby-out movements over the last few weeks when it has been hammering down, so a bit of sun (like today) will heat the cabin up a bit and the moisture in the air condenses on the screen. Not sure why just in that corner though. I also have a bit of condensation in the rear light lenses but again only on the right hand side. I wonder if there is a build up of moisture behind the battery area.

I wonder if using the timed "auto-ventilation" feature would help? Say have it on for 30 or 45 mins at about 1 or 2 pm when the sun and heat is at its highest so the cabin is warm and the moisture fully vaporized and then get the auto-ventilation system to evacuate it. I haven't been using the car as much over the last couple of really wet months so maybe a good 2 or 3 hour blast out at the weekend will dry it all out.

Matty - Just out of curiosity, how did you 100% determine that the screen seal wasn't leaking?

mattylondon 10th February 2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee S (Post 106303)
Matty - Just out of curiosity, how did you 100% determine that the screen seal wasn't leaking?

Maybe not 100% sure, but as sure as I can be just by visual checks outside and inside when I've have the interior trims off. Plus I try to avoid pressure washing sensitive areas like the seals and PDC sensors.

1781cc 10th February 2016 04:23 PM

Guys, I am not sure if you had the same, but to see this looks like there is a leak, water is pooling and condensation is forming near the pool. It doesn't go, ever, aircon on, windows down, rear element on, nothing.

Also, looking at the inside, it appears to have discoloured the alcantara

Look familiar or defo a leak?

Tomorrow is when the glass guys are coming, so its an expensive exercise for nothing if its just ambient condensation, but I personally don't think it is - would like to be proven otherwise without having the expense of all the electrics under the rear seat failing first...

This only happens on one side only:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...pspnrxssof.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...psnesjucqw.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...psvhdc2fam.jpg

Delboy 10th February 2016 04:29 PM

That's what mine looked like when the screen was leaking, it runs down the pillar and soaks the parcel shelf, if you strip out all the interior trim(not a bad job) you can then see where the water is coming in, and possibly try to resell from inside???

Lee S 10th February 2016 04:53 PM

Mine is 10x worse than that. It's in the same place but goes across to about the start of the rear brake light and is where the small gap is. ie, there is none on the window above the parcel shelf but lots between the parcel shelf and glass, exactly like in the photo. I have the light platinum parcel shelf and there is no discolouration or staining or any swelling or ANYTHING to indicate a leak. Just the condensation. It is all very odd. I wonder if a damn good blast around the area with a pressure washer would show up some leaking?

I noticed last night that the rear screen was misted and i put on the demisters and it seemed to be on the inside. I put it down to cold weather outside and lots of moisture/breath/sweat etc on the inside. Still doesn't explain why its in that corner only though. What are the chances of ALL D3s having a poor seal in exactly the same place? But the evidence is borne out by those who have had the screen resealed or replaced and never had the issue again. Weird.

1781cc 10th February 2016 05:04 PM

oh dear... I know you guys probably think I am being a bit weird here, but I would rather just get the glass guys to do and not mess around with stripping the interior out. Typically I would feel comfortable doing that, but I am currently dealing with the mother of all water leaks on my Cabriolet due to a failed seal on the scuttle panel and its allowing water (of which we have been having loads off) into the pollen filter, then down into heater matrix and out onto the passenger side footwell.

Last week I opened the car up to find 2 inches of standing water in there, so I have to gut the whole interior, including the dashboard to get the carpet out so I can dry it. Onto of that, I have to then reseal and test the scuttle/pollen filter so I think I have had enough stripping out cars as this is where I am currently at:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...psiqqnp3ri.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...pskgtkqkqb.jpg

The S8 was meant to be my stock, no fiddling, pay and use comfortably car...

I won't even go into details regarding my "pastime" of which I still have stuff to strip out...

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...psht6r8sva.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...psoppqioko.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...psirrufg2a.jpg

Delboy 10th February 2016 05:11 PM

A seasoned pro then, it will only take you a little while :ROFL:

1781cc 10th February 2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 106311)
A seasoned pro then, it will only take you a little while :ROFL:

See last pic for having had enough and throwing my tools on the floor in despair!

Lee S 15th February 2016 08:52 PM

Washed my car this weekend and there seems to be damp/moisture in the boot now too. The boot carpet seems damp. I'm wondering if my moisture is something like the boot seal leaking and the water going into the boot carpet and then evaporating through the parcel shelf into the cabin? Or do we still think it's more likely that it's coming through the window seal and down into the boot? Any way to check if the boot seal is leaking?

tonupkid 15th February 2016 09:23 PM

Could it be coming in round the lights

Lee S 15th February 2016 09:29 PM

It could be. I have had the inner right light changed ages ago and there has been a couple of dents pulled out of the boot lid in that area too. I'm wondering if whatever made the dents twisted the boot lid slightly or that one of the lights are leaking. They have condensation in too. More investigation needed me thinks. Talc and a hose I guess....

tonupkid 15th February 2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee S (Post 106573)
Talc and a hose I guess....

Kinky, but if it take your mind off the incontinence in your boot...

Lee S 15th February 2016 09:38 PM

:snigger:

Lee S 18th February 2016 06:39 PM

6 Attachment(s)
OK, I had little to no condensation on Tuesday as it was dry. It rained heavily yesterday and today I had condensation on front and rear screen, but more so on the rear screen. I opened the boot to check for damp again (which it was) and found water running down the side panels and along the seal. Do you think this could be either a knackered seal or a misaligned boot lid. A new boot seal maybe worthwhile do you think? Or is this a symptom of another problem?

1781cc 18th February 2016 07:04 PM

hmmm, I checked my boot and its bone dry, but although not as large, my condensation is similar to yours.

I opted against replacing the glass last week as I spoke to the Corby guys when they came out and they said it was laminated, so would most likely crack, checked with TPS and the part takes two days, also, the glass isn't patent parted like some other screens so they didn't have any in stock they could keep in an if-in case scenario.

With the weather the way it is and the travel I do, I couldn't justify the risk of trying to get the screen out.

So, my next step is to attempt to strip the interior out of the boot and rear seats/headlining, then see if I can trace a leak on a rainy day - hoping to fix it from the inside out.

Only thing is, my spare days are running out because of work (self-employed) so if anyone gets there before me, let me know what you find.

Lee, is the top part of the boot hatch wet? also, check the headline above the rear drivers door, is it damp? one of the corby guys said they found a pinhole on a car once, under the water guides/roof rack areas, and over time it had widened and was the cause of a lot of problems on an A8

Lee S 18th February 2016 09:20 PM

The plot thickens !!

Just spent the last 45 mins bailing out the boot. Under the boot liner, the carpet was wet and under the carpet/floor the spare wheel well was quite full. Had to do it with a sponge and kitchen roll and got 95% out. I have put spare wheel back and left the boot floor wedged up to allow air to circulate. I think that's where my condensation is coming from. The couple of litres of standing water in the boot!!!

I removed the RH side boot side panel and it was slightly damp in there, but that could have been condensed water from the main boot. Didn't seem sopping though and the battery was mainly dry. The LH side boot panel was bone dry. Both side panels seemed dry too. The boot-lid lining was damp, but again could be from condensation. No damp on headlining either, so I'm not sure it's coming from roof, but still a possibility its coming from window.

Next step is to get in there and close boot with a powerful torch and see if there is any light escaping and then after that it will have to be someone in the boot with a torch and me outside with a hose/jet-wash. I cant see how it can get through the boot seal as the seal is raised but I did jet-wash the car the other day so if the seal is bad then that would let a fair amount of water in. Very strange. :Confused:

None of the water smelled bad either suggesting that all this is a recent thing. I don't remember anything this bad before.

Anyone seen water ingress this bad before or have any ideas other than window seal? It seemed far too much water for it to be the window seal.

paulrstaylor 19th February 2016 10:05 PM

I had water ingress on my S4 Cab, not from the rood as I first thought - be it was from the gromit in the boot lid with the cables in it. Stripped, cleaned and a bit of silicone grease to re-fit and all has been well for two years now +++

Lee S 22nd February 2016 12:54 AM

Well everything is dried out and I have driven 150 miles or more in the rain and its all still dry. Will check again in the morning after its been sat in rain overnight but I suspect that the water came in courtesy of the jet wash and an old flattened boot seal that's just not enough to keep pressurised water out. Will order a new seal anyway and see how it goes. Won't harm.

I have been jet washing the car since I've had it so i wonder how long this has been going on for unnoticed. Condensation in the back light lens as well as in the rear windscreen. Could all be related?

paulrstaylor 22nd February 2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee S (Post 106955)
Condensation in the back light lens as well as in the rear windscreen. Could all be related?

Yes it could - I'd instantly suspect the seal on that light unit!?

Lee S 22nd February 2016 12:17 PM

Hmmm... Audi replaced that particular lens unit about 2 and half years ago. Wonder if they screwed up fitting it. May pull it out in the summer and have a look behind it and see what's what.

If water got into the bootlid, for example through a dodgy lens seal, is there any drain holes in it for the water to come out or would it just keep building up until it overflowed into the boot?

paulrstaylor 22nd February 2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee S (Post 106980)
Hmmm... Audi replaced that particular lens unit about 2 and half years ago. Wonder if they screwed up fitting it. May pull it out in the summer and have a look behind it and see what's what.

If water got into the bootlid, for example through a dodgy lens seal, is there any drain holes in it for the water to come out or would it just keep building up until it overflowed into the boot?

I suspect that if water got in it would find it's way to the spare wheel well - it did in my S4. Sometimes after a heavy down poor opening the tailgate resulted in a waterfall, but not always! Certainly sounds like a good place to start.

Lee S 29th February 2016 03:53 PM

Well my condensation patch is back again, but this time the boot is 99% dry.

I washed the car yesterday but stupidly didn't check for the condensation before I started, but noticed it when I'd finished. It could have been there before I started washing for all I know.

There was a very small damp patch under the boot floor in the right hand corner nearest the rear by the box the jack is in. This to me is smacking of water coming in around the light clusters as you said Paul. I will have to get them out to check. Is there a gasket or seal on the back of the lights where they mate with the bodywork?

I'm still not sure about the condensation though. I'm beginning to think there may well be a pin hole in the rear glass seal or something. Baaah !!!!:mad:

1781cc 29th February 2016 08:40 PM

ahhh, thats a shame, I was hoping your solution would lead me to one, I haven't got round to looking for this on account of being away with work, but mine hasn't been there all week - till this mornings frost defrosted :-(

The light clusters leaked on my Cabriolet (1997 car) but its a quick fix with their sealant cord stuff, hopefully the D3 is the same as I have loads of that stuff in the garage. I think that will be too simple though

Lee S 29th February 2016 10:35 PM

Yeah.. I have googled leaking boots and rear screens and some of the causes are mental. One guy had a hairline fracture in some sealant under the plastic cover of the roof seam/channel right at the back and water was getting in there. Another guy found it was getting in around the wiring grommet. Another had a leak around the hinge bracket (hatchback though). It goes on and on. It could be getting in from anywhere. Might be hard to track down.

I'm definitely going to start with a new boot seal, clear out the drain pipes all round and sort out the rear lights. The reversing light lens on the inner drivers side rear light is really full now. Something not right there.

I keep thinking that it's a bit too much moisture to be just from breath or damp from feet etc. and I cant help but wonder why it condenses just in that corner. It's warm moist air condensing on cold glass. Either the glass is colder there than anywhere else (leak in seal) or there is moisture getting in and running down but the headlining and c pillar covers are all bone dry as is the parcel shelf.

Back to the drawing board for now but watch this space.

Lee S 2nd March 2016 09:47 AM

Right... I have found the ingress point of the water. Well sort of... I washed and waxed the car on Sunday, so the rain was beading nicely on it this morning. As I reversed out of the drive, which is on quite a slope, the rain on the roof all ran to the back of the car and probably a pint or more of water came pi55ing out of the headlining and all over the parcel shelf, headrest and c pillar cover on the drivers side. I either have a broken screen seal there or a hole in the bodywork/sealant under the gutter trim maybe? I need to get the C pillar cover and the headlining down to inspect. Is that an easy job to get those bots of trim off without wrecking them? I'm hoping its a hole in the bodywork rather than the screen to be honest as I can just bung some caulk/sealant in there. I find this all quite ridiculous on a 6 year old, luxury car costing £70k +. Would this sort of thing be covered by Audi's bodywork and corrosion guarantee?

Delboy 2nd March 2016 11:35 AM

You sure that's not from the sunroof rails?

I would check you rear sunroof drains are clear to make sure it's not from inside

1781cc 2nd March 2016 11:36 AM

Don't know about the Lee but I don't have a sunroof...

Lee S 2nd March 2016 12:30 PM

No... No sunroof here either. :Confused:

It was audible as it poured in. The whole corner of the headlining and parcel shelf was soaked. I have never heard it or seen it that bad before. Whatever it is must be getting worse. Need to find it quick sharp. :mad: