A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Another with a new odd noise. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13330)

Johnmed 22nd August 2017 11:21 AM

Another with a new odd noise.

Hi all. While towing the inlaws' caravan around France and NW Spain my car has been absolutely flawless bar an odd sort of rumble/vibey noise in 5th around 1800 rpm under load. The autobox seems to be behaving completely normally.

It's 34°c here today so I'm waiting for a cooler day before I get it on ramps, and have a nosey. I haven't driven the car without the caravan since.

It seems like it comes from the driver's footwell area and I'm (rather optimistically) hoping it is something simple like a heat shield vibrating or an exhaust mount.

The noise is like a noise (albeit a bit louder) I had on my old A2, which was a common fault and people seemed to think was EGR related.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar?

All the best. John

Johnmed 23rd August 2017 11:05 AM

Oh well, the noise has disappeared now the caravan has been kicked aside like the horrid thing deserves!

Audidothat 23rd August 2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 131716)
Oh well, the noise has disappeared now the caravan has been kicked aside like the horrid thing deserves!

Well there's an excuse to never tow it again!

Johnmed 23rd August 2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audidothat (Post 131719)
Well there's an excuse to never tow it again!

Indeed it is!!!!

tc4332 23rd August 2017 07:26 PM

That sounds like a plan.
All horrid noises to be exported to France and left there.

Johnmed 24th August 2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc4332 (Post 131728)
That sounds like a plan.
All horrid noises to be exported to France and left there.

+++

Simonbartlett 24th August 2017 10:18 AM

In my experience of towing it normally finds the weak spot in a car long before it causes trouble driving solo. Many times ive been into the stealers asking for a problem to be looked at and they cant find it without the extra stress of towing a large caravan. I have even resorted to towing our 8m long 2 ton caravan into the vw dealers so they would believe me and diagnose a turbo problem.

Dont be surprised if in 6 months the noise comes back without the caravan as the part wears a bit more.

Johnmed 24th August 2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonbartlett (Post 131751)
In my experience of towing it normally finds the weak spot in a car long before it causes trouble driving solo. Many times ive been into the stealers asking for a problem to be looked at and they cant find it without the extra stress of towing a large caravan. I have even resorted to towing our 8m long 2 ton caravan into the vw dealers so they would believe me and diagnose a turbo problem.

Dont be surprised if in 6 months the noise comes back without the caravan as the part wears a bit more.

Indeed Simon. I'm going to get it on the ramps when it's not so stinking hot out here.

Johnmed 27th August 2017 09:51 AM

Got her in the barn up on ramps, and had a proper mooch underneath. Couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary, but given the circumstances the noise is evident, I wasn’t really expecting to find anything.

Oh well, gotta be time for a cold beer. Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks.