A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Steering Rack Replacement (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11805)

RanjS8 22nd June 2016 08:32 AM

Steering Rack Replacement

Hey guys

Been a while. Well I have been advised that my steering rack needs replacing.

I am gona have a friend help me with this job. I am aware it isn't for the faint hearted.

I have a copy of elsewin instructions, however before I get started has anyone on here done had theirs changed. Or would anyone have any advice on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Dezzy 22nd June 2016 08:54 AM

Hi Ranj, it has been a while. Hope all's well, apart from the rack.

I know nothing about replacing the rack but my D2 has been sat off the road for a while now dumping PAS fluid everywhere, suspect the rack or pipes to it. Been meaning to do it but other commitments have meant the 8 has been on a sorn for way over 12 months now.

Watching this one with interest. +++

RanjS8 22nd June 2016 01:16 PM

been a while

hi Dezzy
it certainly has been a while. I ve been busy in other areas of life.
I am waiting for steering rack to arrive. Will take pics as I go
sorry to hear about yours. bring it back to life!

moltuae 22nd June 2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezzy (Post 113949)
dumping PAS fluid everywhere, suspect the rack or pipes to it.

Mine starting doing that recently. Turned out to be the pipes/joints perished where they pass through the n/s front wheel arch. Got three brand new OEM pipes fitted for the princely sum of one arm and one leg.

Architex_mA8tey 22nd June 2016 02:06 PM

If youre looking for a new rack steve (thebluewhale) on here had a recon or new one for sale a few months ago might be worth PM-ing him Ranj +++

Dezzy 22nd June 2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 113955)
If youre looking for a new rack steve (thebluewhale) on here had a recon or new one for sale a few months ago might be worth PM-ing him Ranj +++

Steve's is for a D2, already PM'd him a while ago now :o on the pretence i would shove it on there, but not been able to get anywhere near the 8 for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanjS8 (Post 113953)
hi Dezzy
it certainly has been a while. I ve been busy in other areas of life.
I am waiting for steering rack to arrive. Will take pics as I go
sorry to hear about yours. bring it back to life!

I want to but it's in the way at the moment and might just need to be rid of hopefully not. I wonder if i filled it with soil, what it would look like as a giant planter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by moltuae (Post 113954)
Mine starting doing that recently. Turned out to be the pipes/joints perished where they pass through the n/s front wheel arch. Got three brand new OEM pipes fitted for the princely sum of one arm and one leg.

I did read your thread and followed with interest. If i do it i'll be getting dirty myself and doing it on the drive. When i say drive i mean big muddy area that i've not finished yet because there is an 8 in the way.
I also won't be buying new hoses, i'll ask my digger hydraulic fixit hero if he'll make me some new hoses if i need them.

RanjS8 22nd June 2016 06:08 PM

Steering Rack

I ordered one from A8 parts today. Will be arriving thursday/friday.
If it was on a d2, I would be quite confident. Unfortunately, I avoided getting to grips with the car and preferred giving it to others to do the work.
Recent experience, ended with me paying a ridiculous amount to have upper control arms and lower rears changed. Then, I find out the steering rack needs changing. So I wasn't a happy bunny.
So this time, I m doing the job myself and we will see how we go.

Architex_mA8tey 22nd June 2016 07:13 PM

I didn't realise it was on a d3 - was looking at your signature rather than the category of the post - perhaps you can update your sig when you get time Ranj +++

Turbo Tony 22nd June 2016 07:26 PM

Wow... What a coincidence!

My car is at the stealership at the moment and they traced a knocking sound on the front to a faulty steering rack. I'm waiting to find out whether it's covered under the 3rd party warranty I got when i bought the car. They've quoted me £2980 to replace it!

At first, I thought they'd mis-diagnosed it but it's actually strangely comforting to know it is possible for them to need changing.

A previous garage had noted there was some sort of fluid leak that they thought was too thin to be engine oil, so suspected PAS fluid. Audi didn't find anything leaking but that may explain both problems.

Does the steering rack replacement involve removing the engine for access? Should I get the power steering pump changed while it's out?

I'm watching this thread with interest...

gninnam 22nd June 2016 09:49 PM

Good luck Ranj !