A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coolant Leak! (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5714)

gninnam 2nd December 2012 09:57 AM

Coolant Leak!

Just opened the garage doors and noticed a lot of water under the front of the car.:(
Popped the hood and the coolant reservoir has lost about an inch or so of coolant.:tuttut:
So will pop it in the air and have a look - hope it's just a hose that has started to perish.

Wish me luck:)

Architex_mA8tey 2nd December 2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gninnam (Post 50257)
Just opened the garage doors and noticed a lot of water under the front of the car.:(
Popped the hood and the coolant reservoir has lost about an inch or so of coolant.:tuttut:
So will pop it in the air and have a look - hope it's just a hose that has started to perish.

Wish me luck:)

Maybe it's peeved at you cos you bought IT's 8 and relegated it! ;)
Hope it's nothing serious anyways Andy +++

gninnam 2nd December 2012 01:40 PM

No sign of any leak that I can see so far:(

Will continue to investigate !!

gninnam 2nd December 2012 06:36 PM

Could not locate any leak during my invetigation.:mad:
Away first few days this week, but will have a look when I get back and see if I can sus out what is going on

Goran 8th December 2012 11:29 AM

check out the dreaded plastic pipe, that was the cause of my coolant leak. Its between the oil cooler/filter housing and the engine block.

gninnam 8th December 2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goran (Post 50447)
check out the dreaded plastic pipe, that was the cause of my coolant leak. Its between the oil cooler/filter housing and the engine block.

Cheers mate - will have a look tomorrow :)

Norretal 12th December 2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gninnam (Post 50454)
Cheers mate - will have a look tomorrow :)

Did you find anything? Just started to have a very similar problem myself (slow loss of coolant, no obvious leak) over the last week or so and it sounds very much like there's a common cause, the dreaded plastic pipe. Is it something I can replace on the drive by myself or does it need to be on a lift for decent access?

Thanks in advance +++

gninnam 12th December 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norretal (Post 50579)
Did you find anything? Just started to have a very similar problem myself (slow loss of coolant, no obvious leak) over the last week or so and it sounds very much like there's a common cause, the dreaded plastic pipe. Is it something I can replace on the drive by myself or does it need to be on a lift for decent access?

Thanks in advance +++

Shoved it in the air again last weekend and could not get it to leak!!
When it was on the driveway about a couple of thimble's worth of water (showing my age...) under the car.

Looked at AudiForums site and they reckon you have to move a whole host of kit out of the engine bay, plus lose your engine oil and coolant to change the pipe :tuttut:

Will live with it for now and decide what to do next year.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Norretal 12th December 2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gninnam (Post 50592)
When it was on the driveway about a couple of thimble's worth of water (showing my age...) under the car.

Looked at AudiForums site and they reckon you have to move a whole host of kit out of the engine bay, plus lose your engine oil and coolant to change the pipe :tuttut:

Will live with it for now and decide what to do next year.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Thanks for that update, you've made my mind up for me, it can wait until it develops or it's due a service +++

The_Laird 12th December 2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gninnam (Post 50592)

Definitely prostate trouble. Go see the doctor! :)