A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Engine mount (?) part number (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14467)

The_Laird 12th September 2018 11:53 AM

Engine mount (?) part number

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All

This is a photo of an engine mount (?) on my 2002 S8. It's at the front of the engine on the driver's side and is clearly in need of replacement! The photo is taken from the open bonnet. I have a little knock at slow speeds on rough road surfaces from around this area, so I suspect this might be the culprit. A proper description and part number would be most helpful. +++

Thanks, Jim

MikkiJayne 12th September 2018 12:57 PM

4D0199267 'rubber mounting', about £50 iirc.

When you change it, remove some shims from underneath the body bracket so that the bracket sits neatly on the top of the mounting. The reason it fails is that from the factory the bracket is shimmed to the right height but after 15 years all the main engine mounts have sagged so the engine sits 3-4mm lower than when it was made and it tears this mounting in half. Put plenty of penetrating oil in to the mounting bracket threads from above a day before you start since the bracket collects water and the steel bolts go rusty.

The_Laird 12th September 2018 01:19 PM

Thanks MJ. +++

Is it an easy DIY job to remove and replace it, or should I trundle down to my local Audi indy?

MikkiJayne 12th September 2018 01:36 PM

Its easy if you have the front end off. I would say the minimum dismantleage is undertray & bumper off and driver's side headlight out. You may need the front end in service position to get to the bracket bolts though.

The_Laird 12th September 2018 02:00 PM

Yep, a trip to my local Audi indy is due then. Thanks again. Wish we lived in the south-west!

Regulus 12th September 2018 03:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple of photos to give you a better view, when the front is off

briang9 13th September 2018 11:05 PM

Confirm MJ's part no (as if I would ever dare argue:tuttut:)

got my cam belt changed recently and this was gubbed on mine too, approx £60 from our sponsors, my tame mechanic fitted it in about 10 mins, and didnt charge me either, said it was included in the already hefty bill for the cam belt etc change+++

The_Laird 14th September 2018 09:35 AM

Was that a new one from A8 Parts, Brian?

briang9 14th September 2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 145047)
Was that a new one from A8 Parts, Brian?

No, was a used one, think a new one was around £87+++

The_Laird 14th September 2018 09:47 AM

I was planning to get mine done when the cam belt needed to be changed. But I only had it done 40K miles ago (January 2015) and, IIRC, the interval is 80K or 6 (?) years. I’d also planned to get the tensioners done (after MJ’s warning at the annual meet), but now I’m thinking I ought to bring this all forward.

Any thoughts guys?