A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   'Telephone is not installed' (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14274)

IT 20th June 2018 09:17 PM

C6 and D3 both have their phone modules under the passenger floor....

.... both can be got to with a little effort with the passenger still firmly in place.

My bet is still that its missing or been looped out.

If the unit goes faulty, it dies and breaks the MOST bus, so the whole MMI goes off.

For it to break enough to report as not installed, but not enough to break the fibre loop seems like a long shot to me...

There is no coding to enable a module either, if its on the most bus. It boots and becomes part of the system. Its really pretty fool proof......

Chip2786 21st June 2018 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 143062)
Are these cars OK to disconnect the batteries to or is there a chance the electrics can play up? I know they probably throw up ghost faults but that's not a problem. If they are safe to disconnect then I would perhaps try that first?

I wouldn’t if you can avoid, my car went mental when the battery went flat. It threw up about 30 odd fault codes. They all cleared but scared the schnitzel out of me!

Chip2786 21st June 2018 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 143063)
For it to break enough to report as not installed, but not enough to break the fibre loop seems like a long shot to me...

Mine did :ROFL:

IT 21st June 2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip2786 (Post 143065)
Mine did :ROFL:

I know.... thats why I went for 'long shot' rather than impossible..... +++

Conquistador 21st June 2018 09:31 AM

Thanks all. Carpet is easy enough to take up so I'll do that to start with and see whats what under there at the weekend.

Still haven't fully got my head around RSAP, whether I have it, need it or want it but I understand it might solve the connectivity / signal issues.

steamship 21st June 2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 143069)
I know.... thats why I went for 'long shot' rather than impossible..... +++

Just as an aside, the same issue affects the VW Passat (maybe other VWs as well). My brother couldn't get his phone to connect despite BT being installed and active. The proposed solution found on one of the VW forums was exactly the same... disconnect it, cycle the ignition, reconnect, and try again. Unfortunately, his still won't connect.

Delboy 21st June 2018 12:33 PM

Have you been tinkering in the green menu? Seems odd that the fitted and working module now is not assuming its dry etc.

Have you tried another possibly older phone to see if it works?

IT 21st June 2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 143076)
Have you been tinkering in the green menu? Seems odd that the fitted and working module now is not assuming its dry etc.

Have you tried another possibly older phone to see if it works?

It says telephone is not installed (i.e the module) rather than telephone is not connected, i.e. when the module is online but there is no phone connected to it....

JulianHicks 21st June 2018 10:04 PM

I can also confirm that my A8 phone unit went bad but left the MOST Bus working. Only noticed when the phone icon wasn't on the bottom of my MMI screen.

When I checked, I had the same symptoms as the OP; 'Telephone Not installed' messages on the MMI screen and 'Cannot be reached' messages in VCDS for Address 77.

Lifted the carpet and no signs of water ingress; opened the ECU case but no visible issues. But had to fix it by replacing the unit with a cheap eBay replacement.

Julian

JulianHicks 22nd June 2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conquistador (Post 143070)
Still haven't fully got my head around RSAP, whether I have it, need it or want it but I understand it might solve the connectivity / signal issues.

The original Bluetooth phone ECU in A8s was the 'Handyvorb2'; latterly I believe the 'BTA' [aka RSAP unit] was used instead.

The BTA is a 'better' unit as it uses an external aerial rather than the phone for reception, but although the Handyvorb2 and BTA are 'sort of' plug compatible, you can't easily replace the Handyvorb2 with the BTA as you won't have the external aerial you need.

Handyvorb2 HW part number is 4E0 862 335; it has 3 connections - electrical, optical & BT aerial.
BTA HW part number is 4F1 862 335; it has 4 conections - electrical, optical, BT aerial & external aerial.

Julian