A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Lights (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Self Levelling Headlights Warning Light? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2415)

The_Laird 21st December 2010 06:56 AM

Self Levelling Headlights Warning Light?

Not had a chance to check in the handbook yet, but a warning light keeps coming on about 25 minutes into my journey that has a symbol with a dipped headlight and an arrow above and below it.

So I assume it's something to do with the self levelling headlights (on a 2002 S8 BTW).

Anyone know what's up? Maybe they're just frozen? It's -9.5C here this morning.

Mr K 21st December 2010 08:38 AM

Can't comment on the light, but the self levelling lights are controlled by a box mounted on a car, and a small arm that attaches to the bottom suspension arm. One on the front passenger side, and one on the rear. It all looked a bit weak (plastic arm, thin bent metal clip on the arm etc) so it may have failed or come uncoupled due to a big lump of snow or ice or the bottom arm sliding through deepish snow. May be worth a look.

PsYcHe 21st December 2010 11:03 AM

Probably snow/ice.. Or if the road is a bit bumpy, it can get it's knickers in a twist.

Does it go away after a minute or two?

The_Laird 22nd December 2010 09:40 AM

The warning light stays on, then after re-starting it goes away and then comes back on again - sometimes after a minute or two, sometimes after 20 minutes or more

PsYcHe 22nd December 2010 10:19 AM

Sounds a bit more serious than what mine does then.. Have a look under the wheel arch and see if you can see anything dangling around there, or any snow jammed up there too.

The_Laird 22nd December 2010 02:45 PM

Do I need to take the wheel arch lining out?

Mr K 22nd December 2010 03:07 PM

No.

I would check the front one first, as thats I a more direct firing line. It's clipped onto, iirc the front most of the two pasengerside bottom arms, about halfway along. There's two arms.

You may find it easier to put a wheel up o a Kurb or a ramp so you can see under it.

The_Laird 7th January 2011 08:02 AM

Had the arms and links checked out at the garage - no apparent damage. Also took the car for an under-body car wash and - touching wood and fingers crossed - no recurrence of this problem or the strange braking issue I had.

I wonder if there was just an accumulation of crud and ice somewhere?

I'll get a Vagcom on it as soon as I can

The_Laird 17th January 2011 04:04 PM

Rats! It came back!

I need £170's worth of parts and repairs (at A4 Audi, not the stealers). A corroded connector/switch and a broken arm I think. I'll post photos of the bits in question after the repair.

Amanda 22nd January 2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlue8 (Post 16697)
Not had a chance to check in the handbook yet, but a warning light keeps coming on about 25 minutes into my journey that has a symbol with a dipped headlight and an arrow above and below it.

So I assume it's something to do with the self levelling headlights (on a 2002 S8 BTW).

Anyone know what's up? Maybe they're just frozen? It's -9.5C here this morning.

the self leveler is buggered so you will need level senor and linkage for the headlights approx 170 to fix

The_Laird 24th January 2011 08:09 AM

Yep, it was the sensor and the connector. Apparently, water runs down the cable, corrodes the connector and then b*****s up the sensor. I was quoted £170 but, because someone used the connector that was ordered for me the day before I was booked in, and I sat in the cold waiting room for three and a half hours waiting for another connector to be delivered, the nice folk at A4 Audi (Clydebank, Glasgow) charged parts only (£106), threw in the touch-up paint I'd ordered for the parking sensor and gave me a case of lager!

Now that's good customer relations, don't you think?

Simon Wallwork 1st December 2011 11:30 PM

A8 parts sent me a front sensor for (I think) 30 quid.

It's an easy DIY job to fit it.:)

David's8 14th April 2012 09:07 PM

Same car (IceBlue8's) and same fault. presumably the other sensor has gone. I have looked at both front and rear sensors but cant tell which is the newer and Jim can't recall which was replaced. Is it possible/necessary to get it checked with VAG com to establish which one is u/s or would it be advisable just to order the part and fault-find by replacement? (Are they the same part?).

PsYcHe 14th April 2012 09:10 PM

Not sure id VCDS tells you, but I'm sure A4 would know which one.

David's8 14th April 2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 38633)
Not sure id VCDS tells you, but I'm sure A4 would know which one.

Good point - i am sure they would have a record. (its not on the invoice/work record which Jim handed over with the car).

ADU UR quattro 15th April 2012 11:01 AM

Thanks for posting this up,Now I know what needs to be done.The top section of my DIS ( the part that shows the radio information has had a yellow hoeadlight symbol with up/down arrow.vagcom reprting G76 andG78 sensors faulty,I got MOT coming up next month, so will get it sorted then.
Thanks for the information.

David's8 15th April 2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADU UR quattro (Post 38665)
.vagcom reprting G76 andG78 sensors faulty,

From what you say vagcom doesnt differentiate between the front and back sensors then?
or maybe you have both faulty?!:Confused:

ADU UR quattro 15th April 2012 06:38 PM

01539-Headlights Not Adjusted
35-00 --
00774- Level Control System Sensor;Left Rear (G76)
28-00 -Short to Plus
00776-Level Control System Sensor ;Left Front (G78)
28-10- Short to Plus- intermittent

I hope this helps.

David's8 15th April 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADU UR quattro (Post 38689)
01539-Headlights Not Adjusted
35-00 --
00774- Level Control System Sensor;Left Rear (G76)
28-00 -Short to Plus
00776-Level Control System Sensor ;Left Front (G78)
28-10- Short to Plus- intermittent

I hope this helps.

Yes it does. Many thanks.

The_Laird 16th April 2012 07:45 AM

I had a word with A4 Audi and they don't know which one was done, but Andy says you should be able to tell as the repaired one will have new yellow wiring.

But apparently they're having trouble with repaired/replaced sensors failing again as the water still runs down the wiring into the sensor. Current methodology is to use a inner tube to cover the wiring from top to bottom!

David's8 16th April 2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlue8 (Post 38723)
I had a word with A4 Audi and they don't know which one was done, but Andy says you should be able to tell as the repaired one will have new yellow wiring.

But apparently they're having trouble with repaired/replaced sensors failing again as the water still runs down the wiring into the sensor. Current methodology is to use a inner tube to cover the wiring from top to bottom!

Thanks for finding that out Jim, it saves me a call this morning. I do remember one of the connectors having yellow wires.

Its hard to believe but the wiring is totally unprotected going into the connector and will just drain water into the connector. I will look at some similar method of protection.

ADU UR quattro 17th April 2012 04:36 PM

Update on my headlight issue. The link-arm from the front level sensor had detached from the ball joint attached it back on, cleared fault codes. Checked sensors are within tolerance by jacking up the car from the front and back, and watching the voltages change,but yellow headlight symbol still on in the DIS. re-scanned with vagcom. now Error 01539 says headlights Not adjusted(I now know the sensors are working). Anybody know how to adjust the headlights.

TIA.

ADU UR quattro 19th April 2012 06:54 PM

All Sorted Now.it turns out I was being a NUMPTY , I recoded it to the wrong setting. +++

David's8 10th June 2012 01:00 PM

I have now (after a long wait replaced the faulty sensor with (I hope) a working part from Goglawrie's scrapper. The DIS light still remains on. Does that have to be re-set using VCDS or should it be self re-setting? (which would mean that the replacement is duff too!)

HPsauce 10th June 2012 01:21 PM

Most faults stay until cleared so, without knowing the specifics of that area, chances are you will need to clear it with software.

That's why in many (non-critical) cases the first thing you do is clear the fault and wait to see if/when it reappears.

goglawrie 10th June 2012 03:37 PM

sensors

hi the headlights sensors were working on the car before i scraped it even the bracket was broken so i think need to clear fault codes

David's8 10th June 2012 04:20 PM

Thanks for that. I am sure it will clear the next time I get to scan and clear it.

47p2 10th June 2012 07:24 PM

Vag-Com available in the Glasgow area for £50.00 +++

PsYcHe 10th June 2012 09:11 PM

Special offer... £49.95, have 2 scans get 1 half-price (sure that'll appeal to the 'Northern' contingent).. Could possibly even supply a voucher :)

briang9 10th June 2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 41800)
Special offer... £49.95, have 2 scans get 1 half-price (sure that'll appeal to the 'Northern' contingent).. Could possibly even supply a voucher :)

someone mention Voucher??

Architex_mA8tey 10th June 2012 09:30 PM

BOGOF?? :p

47p2 10th June 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 41800)

Am oot :ROFL::ROFL:

IT 10th June 2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David's8 (Post 41790)
Thanks for that. I am sure it will clear the next time I get to scan and clear it.

When you've done any work on the xenon range you must run the calibration before it will be happy again.

Each of the two xenon range sensors basically generate a 0 to 5v output depending on their position, and thus reports to the ECU the level-ness of the car.

Every sensor will be slightly different, thus when a sensor is connected up for the first time, you need to run through the basic settings to calibrate the module to 'level ground'

See here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...alignment.html

+++

David's8 11th June 2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 41811)
When you've done any work on the xenon range you must run the calibration before it will be happy again.

+++

These things are never simple eh! but thanks for the tip. it does make sense as there isnt a "centred" (i.e. "level" position) on the sensor as that needs to be determined by calibrating it as you have described.

PsYcHe 11th June 2012 02:44 PM

Happy to let you borrow my cable for a couple of days.

David's8 11th June 2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 41829)
Happy to let you borrow my cable for a couple of days.

Thanks for the offer Richard. When you attending on the Laird's sunroof next?

David's8 13th June 2012 08:18 PM

Strange to say, when I drove the car this evening, the warning light did not come on and everything was as it should be!! I havent done anything which could have changed anything apart from the fact that the car was sat on the drive for 3 days wothout being driven. :Confused:

PsYcHe 13th June 2012 08:24 PM

Try a bumpy road and see what happens... Maybe it does self-calibrate then.

David's8 13th June 2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 41932)
Try a bumpy road and see what happens... Maybe it does self-calibrate then.

I did. Just came back from Dumbarton and did 80mph over the backroad almost getting airborne off the humpback bridge (SWMBO wasnt happy..:tuttut:..) The warning light stayed off. (hers went on!!)

briang9 13th June 2012 09:46 PM

I am sure it must have been KPH easy mistake to make:p