A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   anyone retro fitted finger print start button? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12246)

awdinut 25th October 2016 02:13 AM

anyone retro fitted finger print start button?

I know they are not well thought of, but I would like to retro fit if possible...but is it ?

PsYcHe 25th October 2016 01:45 PM

They're crap :)

If you have the plain button, retrofit the newer, round metal button.

Turbo Tony 25th October 2016 01:57 PM

I wish I could bloody get mine to work!

On cars with it fitted as standard, there is no memory seat buttons for the driver. That means, I can't set a preset for my preferred seating position or anything.

Grrr...

Delboy 25th October 2016 05:12 PM

Yes you can. You need to activate the menu so the key moves the seat and mirrors when you open the door.

Conquistador 25th October 2016 05:30 PM

It's a bit of a gimmick really - cool to tell people you have it but if it was a good idea the other manufacturers would have done the same back in 2003/2004 I say. I think I used it once when I picked the car up, programmed my finger but it changed the mileage to km, all the radio settings and adjusted everything possible to do with the seat so I didn't bother using it after that :ROFL: , but yes it can be retrofitted.

+1 for retrofitting the facelift chrome Start button

Turbo Tony 25th October 2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 118895)
Yes you can. You need to activate the menu so the key moves the seat and mirrors when you open the door.

Sadly not with mine. I get a 'System error' every time I try to do anything like that. :(

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it's vaguely on topic.

Delboy 25th October 2016 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony (Post 118899)
Sadly not with mine. I get a 'System error' every time I try to do anything like that. :(

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it's vaguely on topic.

Mine had a hissey fit where the finger bit wouldn't work or let me delete or add new users, no end of vcds buggery would fix it.

In the end I had the battery disconnected for 30 mins for something else, and if by magic the fingerprint system started working properly again so i'd give that a go if I were you.

Turbo Tony 25th October 2016 07:46 PM

Thanks Del. Tried that - my battery is only too keen to oblige by going flat. It didn't work.

I un-coded the module, re-coded the module, changed the switch, you name it.

tonupkid 25th October 2016 08:21 PM

If you'r a masochist go ahead and retro fit the fingerprint start button. I'd be happy to see the back of mine and its irritating negative message almost EVERY time I fire it up

mannyo 26th October 2016 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony (Post 118903)
Thanks Del. Tried that - my battery is only too keen to oblige by going flat. It didn't work.

I un-coded the module, re-coded the module, changed the switch, you name it.

If you have a duff battery maybe thats the problem. The control module for the keyless entry and start button are the first ECUs that get shutdown to preserve power.

My D3 gets little use these days, and after a week or so of short trips the battery on mine gets low, and I usually end up using the key remote and ignition to start the car until I go for a long run to charge the battery back up.

There are issues having the memories tied to fingers, for example if one driver is short and the other tall then shoe horning yourself behind the steering wheel and hitting the start button could be difficult, before the seat moves back to your usual position.

If setting up having got the car remember to delete all the programmed users before you begin otherwise you simply end up with their settings for everything. Remember its not just the seat position set by your finger, the climate control settings, radio presets, last station, satnav destinations, steering wheel, mirrior positions etc. are all individual.