A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A7/S7/RS7 4G (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Annoying Rattle (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8878)

IT 7th October 2014 08:16 AM

Annoying Rattle

After a couple of weeks it became obvious my 1200 watts of B&O's finest was essentially being ruined by a resonating rattle somewhere. I do like my music on the loud side, and this was really doing my head in.

I also had a small coolant leak, which was probably more serious but as it didnt intrude into my enjoyment of the cabin, I classed it very much as secondary issue. :p

However, I booked it in for both items looking at, under warranty, ;)

The coolant leak was quickly diagnosed, new pump ordered, job done. The speaker issue however took some more effort. The initial diagnosis of 'the bass is too high' didnt sit well as you can imagine, so i pressed harder for them to come up with something a bit more valid.

Ultimately, one of the mangers of the dealership agreed to drive my car round for a few days and test the B&O so he could get familiar with the problem. I had left a couple of poor examples of some (admittedly awful) songs that caused the issue, but there were some far worse ones that resonated throughout the cabin with a relitively simple underlying bass tone, none of which I could put my finger on at the time of booking in. Doh. There is only so much Gangnam style at volume 25 an Audi tech should have to suffer in his daily duties +++

So, after 3 days of 'testing' and by his own admission, enjoying one of the highest specced cars he'd ever seen, he had reproduced the resonance perfectly, right down to volume 8, which is low.

Initially I had said the vibration was from the passenger door. They found it came from the passenger door when you're sat in the drivers seat, the drivers door if you're in the passenger seat and front the front generally if you're sat in the rear. wtf. :Confused:

Further investigation found that the sub in the boot, that should be quite firmly bolted down had managed to work loose one of its rivnuts, so that at particular bass tones, it would resonate straight through the body of the car and produce the apparently moving problem.

So, they ordered new rivnuts, and bolted her down and now, she's absolutely sorted. +++ And for free.... +++

So, it did take a little effort to get them to listen properly, but once fully engaged York Audi have done a really top job.... Very pleased +++

Architex_mA8tey 7th October 2014 09:06 AM

I had a couple of issues with vibration noises in my A7 Ian - one was in the drivers door and the other was the heads up display trim vibrating due to temperature differences which was solved by some foam being put into the trim. the other issue I has was the screen juddering as it folded out and in, which was eventually put down to a "design issue" and I was awaiting a new mechanism to be provided by Audi germany after a re-design they were doing, so I guess that one may be resolved on later cars +++

Dezzy 7th October 2014 04:29 PM

Rivnuts are shat. Nice result though Ian well done +++