A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Intake flaps check (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14067)

Rick 18th April 2018 06:02 PM

Intake flaps check

1 Attachment(s)
So I have finally been getting some time to do some maintenance on the old girl and wanted to check the intake flaps as its a common issue and I keep hearing a tapping coming from the general area, may or may not be related.
This is what I found. All very loose but no broken flaps I can see.

Delboy 18th April 2018 07:29 PM

Man that needs to be removed before it falls off and goes where you don't want it.

Rick 18th April 2018 10:03 PM

Haha, yes that is my next job mate. As well as a de coke while i am in there!

moltuae 19th April 2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delboy (Post 140471)
Man that needs to be removed before it falls off and goes where you don't want it.

Now that's something you never want to hear a doctor say.

Architex_mA8tey 19th April 2018 09:41 AM

You might want to have a look at this thread on Audiworld - I used it to get the manifold flaps repaired on my D2 when they were sticky and it might prove useful even though yours is a D3 -
40v-intake-manifold-fix-stuck-sluggish-flap-pivots-no-broken-parts

Rick 19th April 2018 02:02 PM

No you certainly dont want to hear a doctor saying that!!

Im just gonna gut it all out including the baffle. Then after a de coke get it custom mapped.
No more worries about it breaking or coming loose ever again.

Conquistador 20th April 2018 08:48 AM

Yep, when my manifold was removed one of those plastic clips was balancing across one of the intake ports. I'm guessing it's game over if the engine consumed something like that. :tuttut:

I feel more comfortable now I've had the flaps removed as well as the baffle (not necessary but might as well) but I read somewhere that the metal baffle should be left in to create a Venturi effect for the airflow within the intake manifold. Put your foot down slightly and, even without changing down, you'll get a satisfying deep bark from the now hollow manifold.

Mine seems to be running slightly rich afterwards but a couple of new air filters and a custom remap should sort that I r̶e̶c̶k̶o̶n̶ hope.

Rick 20th April 2018 07:01 PM

I need this deep barky growly shouty car in my life.

Rick 21st April 2018 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well worth taking the intake manifold off. Found this in the port sitting on the back of a valve!! Its about 10p size.
I would say its a lucky day!

Rick 3rd May 2018 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These things really are an engine killer waiting to happen.
3 completely not working and so many bits of plastic just missing, presumably eaten by the engine at some point. Even missing a lump of ally from one of the mounting points where the flaps have been rubbing etc.