A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Motormouth (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Using mobile phones while controlling or operating a vehicle. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12190)

HPsauce 6th October 2016 01:44 PM

Using mobile phones while controlling or operating a vehicle.

Walking down my road (it's a slight hill) this morning I observed a bicycle being ridden up towards me, rather unsteadily, wandering all over the place as if the rider was drunk.
Yes the rider (a young man in Lycra) was busy operating his mobile phone, blissfully unaware of his random progress or indeed anything much around him. He certainly didn't see me.

I was very tempted to step out in front of him to cross the road, bring him to an abrupt stop and ask him what he thought of car drivers using mobile phones.....

And yes, a bicycle is a vehicle. At least according the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which the UK observes.

Is there any legislation relevant to this situation?

steamship 6th October 2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 118191)
And yes, a bicycle is a vehicle. At least according the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which the UK observes.

Is there any legislation relevant to this situation?

It would appear that because it isn't powered by an engine, then cyclists are allowed to use their mobile phones. They could still be pulled over for 'careless cycling' or 'cycling without due care and attention' however. Better that, than being carted off to the morgue!

Use to cycle quite a bit in my earlier years and it still amazes me how idiotic some cyclists can be.

pete-p 6th October 2016 03:10 PM

This is what I found: https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q604.htm

Owners of electrically assisted cycles need to be careful, presumably that also applies to disability scooters!

tintin 6th October 2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 118197)
It would appear that because it isn't powered by an engine, then cyclists are allowed to use their mobile phones. They could still be pulled over for 'careless cycling' or 'cycling without due care and attention' however. Better that, than being carted off to the morgue!

Use to cycle quite a bit in my earlier years and it still amazes me how idiotic some cyclists can be.

Proportionally (compared to car drivers), I'd argue that overall they're more responsible, partly for their own self-preservation, and they're also far less likely to cause serious damage to people or property if they're less than sensible all of the time.

In my view, the more powerful your vehicle - regardless of it's power source - the greater the responsibility there is on the person "in control" of it. I've also never, ever, seen a bicycle used as an offensive weapon on the road, which I can't say about cars, though that's thankfully very rare.

steamship 6th October 2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 118199)
I've also never, ever, seen a bicycle used as an offensive weapon on the road

What about some of those overweight middle-aged men in lycra that ride them :ROFL:

HPsauce 6th October 2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 118199)
I've also never, ever, seen a bicycle used as an offensive weapon on the road

Well that wasn't the point of the thread, more the combination of hypocrisy and lack of self-preservation. But you obviously don't spend much time in and around London as a pedestrian! Especially near Shoreditch where a couple of my offspring live (not together). Deliveroo riders are the very worst in my experience. :mad:

PsYcHe 7th October 2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 118202)
What about some of those overweight middle-aged men in lycra that ride them :ROFL:

Oi! I resemble that remark! :ROFL:

But yeah... It's also an awful lot easier to be bundled off the bike by a bit of crappy tarmac if you're not looking.. so irrespective of the legal position, still a bit daft.

tersono 7th October 2016 03:53 PM

For what it's worth I experienced something similar a couple of weeks back. Country lane, guy on a bike weaving down the middle of the road completely oblivious. He was weaving because he had BOTH hands on the bloody phone while he was texting!

He didn't even hear me. I ended up having to toot the horn at the bleeder to wake him up so's I could get past. He wasn't pleased :ROFL:

steamship 7th October 2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHe (Post 118236)
Oi! I resemble that remark! :ROFL:

I already fit into two of those criteria, so maybe I should be careful of what I eat :)

YorkshireBloke 7th October 2016 11:43 PM

Beware of Smart Phone SatNav

Hi,

A very technical point is that a "phone" is classed as " a device capable of making or receiving a a phone call".

So touching your smartphone to use the free SatNav software on it actually is touching a phone while driving. Touching is using. That is breaking the law... :tuttut:

The police officer will doubtless listen to your explanation that you were not phoning but could do you... :-(

Robert. ( ex Magistrate, got too busy at work).