A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   IT, AV and other Tech (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   New (old) laptop for car diagnostics - VM question. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16173)

HPsauce 7th March 2021 02:49 PM

New (old) laptop for car diagnostics - VM question.

One for the Microsoft heavyweights this, beyond my pay grade these days. ;)

I've been given an "old" Dell laptop that a friend was about to take to the tip, on examination it looks ideal for Audi S8 support once I've fixed the broken stuff.
At "just" 10 years old it's much newer than the S8. :cool:
(The main problems were actually just a "dead" CMOS battery and a damaged/loose power socket that wasn't recognising the external PSU correctly until I secured it)

It a business-grade Dell, small and fairly ruggedized too with waterproof keyboard, drop sensors, tough case etc. a Latitude E6320 if anyone is interested. So a decent for it's day 1366*768 resolution 13" screen but not physically huge, 8GB ram, 500GB disk and an i7 processor that runs at 2.8GHz boosting up to about 3.3GHz.
Originally W7 Pro which I've upgraded to Windows 10 Professional, which includes VM support (Hyper-V these days I think) - question alert!

The main things I'll put on it immediately will be VCDS, Elsawin and my Bentley manual. The latter 2 I currently run on Windows XP inside an Oracle VM Virtualbox. Or rather I used to, there seems to be a compatibility issue between that and the latest Windows 10 updates!

So, what's the best way to implement on the Dell with Windows 10 Professional? VCDS obviously will just run, it's the other two I'm thinking about.
Do I just install an updated (hopefully compatible) version of VirtualBox and copy the VM's across from the old system, or is it better to implement again using the VM capability of Windows 10? If so, is there a relatively simple way to transfer an Oracle VirtualBox VM of Windows XP into a Windows 10 Hyper-V VM?

Adrian E 7th March 2021 04:18 PM

Oracle VM VirtualBox should work fine - it's what I use on my 10 year old Win 10 Pro desktop and it's very reliable. I gave up using the Windows VM software when they ended support in Win7

homer simpson 7th March 2021 04:31 PM

I run VCDS, Elsawin and ETKA all on Win 10 pro with no issues

MikkiJayne 7th March 2021 04:37 PM

Which version of Elsawin have you got running on W10? I'm still running it in a W7 Hyper-V vm.

HPsauce 7th March 2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 163779)
Elsawin ...............…. running it in a W7 Hyper-V vm.

MJ can I ask why? E.g. is Hyper-V something you work with regularly or are there other advantages?

MikkiJayne 7th March 2021 05:59 PM

Built in to Windows and just works. I use it all the time. Plus, its nothing to do with Oracle which is always a bonus.

Adrian E 7th March 2021 06:06 PM

I wasn't even aware of Hyper V until mentioned here - was it something that didn't originally feature in Win10 in earlier releases? The old Win7 VM integration was pretty good - could get ETKA to run as if a native app

I did run VMWare Workstation Pro, but a Win10 update meant that VMWare stopped working on old kit, as it required a faster processor than my PC has.....

MikkiJayne 7th March 2021 06:15 PM

It first arrived in Windows 8. I think it was only in the Pro releases though.

HPsauce 7th March 2021 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 163782)
Built in to Windows and just works. I use it all the time.

Just had a quick peek at it and some online information implies that it "might" have an inbuilt set of basic OS'es.
However, looking on my "new old" Dell laptop, after adding it, there are no OS'es visible. Do I have to have the media/keys to install whatever I need? In this case XP SP3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 163784)
It first arrived in Windows 8. I think it was only in the Pro releases though.

And only in Pro W10, not Home.

homer simpson 7th March 2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 163779)
Which version of Elsawin have you got running on W10? I'm still running it in a W7 Hyper-V vm.

Elsawin 6.0, only had Audi installed.