A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Common Faults (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Facelift Kickdown doesn't work (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50)

IT 22nd January 2009 02:14 PM

Facelift Kickdown doesn't work

1 Attachment(s)
We've seen quite a number of facelift cars now where the automatic gearbox kickdown simply doesn't work. It's nearing 50% to put a figure on it, so if you're not 100% yours works, then test it:

For the unitiated, kick down is designed so that when you hoof your foot right to the floor, the gearbox should 'kick down' to the fastest gear it can without over-revving the engine. Dont confuse this with the natural nature of the gearbox that may kick down 1 gear when you accellerate a bit.

To test:

Driving along, put the car in tiptronic and use the shifter to put the car in the highest gear it will go, 4th or 5th is ideal if you are doing > 30mph.

Now, floor the car and only if the kickdown is working will it change gear. If it is not working, then because you have tiptronic selected it will not change gear. Only the kickdown function (and anti-stalling) can override the gear selection in tiptronic.

To Fix:

This is the quickest, and cheapest fix ever. On the facelift car, the throttle was changed to 'drive by wire' so instead of a throttle cable, there is now just a potentiometer measuring your foot movements, this is why the facelift cars are slightly less responsive on the throttle than the prefacelift counterparts.

When they removed the throttle cable, they also had to re-invent kickdown, so you now have a big button quite visible under the throttle pedal. (see attachment)

This button can be turned, and in fact must be turned during installation at the factory to fit it under the covering plate.

Turn it clockwise to turn the kickdown on
Turn it anti-clockwise to turn kickdown off

Press the button with your hand in each position and you will hear the metallic sound of a contact switch, or not.

Let us know if your facelift car had no kickdown as I'd love to know just how many owners haven't really been unleashing the true performance +++

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...7&d=1232638377

Architex_mA8tey 24th January 2009 10:53 PM

Will try it in Sainsbury's car park tomorrow, ahem :D
Will let you know Ian

Duffy 25th January 2009 04:29 PM

Did this this afternoon......................it was switched off!!!

Thanks for that!

IT 25th January 2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy (Post 212)
Did this this afternoon......................it was switched off!!!

Thanks for that!

Awesome.... enjoy the cheapest performance upgrade money isnt needed to buy +++

Sorry bout the lower MPG though :ROFL:

Duffy 25th January 2009 08:55 PM

LPG remember!

:ROFL:

builder22 27th January 2009 09:22 PM

Tried mine yesterday, was switched on. The rapid move from 5th to 2nd was interesting. Just as well the road was clear :ROFL:

Architex_mA8tey 3rd February 2009 02:38 AM

yep tried mine too and the waft turned into a hurricane lol :ROFL:
now wondering how much lower i can get the average mpg :p

IT 3rd February 2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey (Post 687)
yep tried mine too and the waft turned into a hurricane lol :ROFL:
now wondering how much lower i can get the average mpg :p

So was it switched on already, or did you have the twist the knob? (oo-er) +++

Architex_mA8tey 3rd February 2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian@A8Parts (Post 696)
So was it switched on already, or did you have the twist the knob? (oo-er) +++

My knob was already twisted no doubt in an attempt to make me go faster :eek3::snigger:
this is sounding more like the plot from a carry on film by the minute!

Simon Wallwork 7th February 2009 09:56 PM

Well, I checked mine and it was most definately OFF. No doubt it has been off for the cars entire life (up to now) as it looks very unlikely to have moved from ON to OFF on its own. Also, why would anyone turn it to OFF when they might need it to save their bacon when overtaking or whatever.

Quite good really as it seems to indicate a lack of thrashing in the cars past.+++