A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   For Sale and Wanted - Cars (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Now that's a lovely color. (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15721)

spannerrash 4th June 2020 04:20 PM

Now that's a lovely color.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164230456053

paulrstaylor 4th June 2020 04:38 PM

It is nice to see any colour on an Audi these days, in a see of grey +++

Lovely looking car, but the description needs to be taken with a pinch of salt!

Quote:

Every button on the car works. Nothing has broken and is all working as it should.
Erm, there is a fault shown in plain English on the RNS-D screen in the pictures :ROFL:

HPsauce 4th June 2020 04:45 PM

It's only an RDS-TMC error and that doesn't work anyway as Audi stopped paying for it ages ago.
Unless you get the Mercedes version of the RNS-D/Blaupunkt maps and software..... :rolleyes:

But it does have the original/PF S8 badge on it, which someone here might fancy...…….. ;)

paulrstaylor 4th June 2020 04:50 PM

Agreed TMC was not much use in my distant memory, but still faulty!

Also spotted the PF badge, on a FL car!? My S8 was a 99, but had newer badge.... sadly also a distant memory :ROFL:

Edited to say, at least it isn't listed as a "Final edition" or "Fully loaded" :)

HPsauce 4th June 2020 04:54 PM

I recall an explanation from someone knowledgeable (IT probably) that the badge change didn't 100% synchronise with the facelift upgrades. So not unknown.

paulrstaylor 4th June 2020 05:04 PM

Mine was a late 99, so entirely feasible +++

IT 4th June 2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 157949)
I recall an explanation from someone knowledgeable (IT probably) that the badge change didn't 100% synchronise with the facelift upgrades. So not unknown.

This is true... the early facelift, has the older badge, and the distinctly different steering wheel with raised tiptronic etc.

Also had Autodim mirrors as standard and a few other things. Very early ones had RNS-C instead of D (this is D as it knows about TMC) with a different TV Tuner. Phone prep in this early one would have been a fixed nokia arm rather than the later cullman, and it will likely have fading digits on the VDO cluster as they all went south from that year.

Nice car, very original - but - not worth too much past scrap value unless there is some good evidence of solid servicing esp gearbox

Slightly confused by the sellers claim to a leather dashboard.......

The TMC was never officially available on the D2. There is a TMC module in the car, but it was used purely as a Can gateway between the Audi canbus and the blaupunkt canbus which differed slightly. Genuine Audi Map discs didn't have TMC on, but the Travelpilot DX was freely available with TMC on, and did for a time work. No idea if it still does.

TMC based map discs worked across europe happily where the service was free and didn't need a royalty paying like the UK....

* Just noted he confirmed there is a Nokia phone in there, which works - Good luck finding a SIM for it..... ;)

HPsauce 4th June 2020 07:30 PM

TMC still works in my D2 S8. ;) Though not with an original Audi CD...…. :ROFL:

As for the phone, I remember trying to sort that out ages ago, and you could get a SIM (only on O2 I think) that would work in the original version Nokia 3110 I had then in the car.
I then tried to get a dual-band handset (e.g. Nokia 8146 banana phone) working, but there was always a technical obstacle of one sort or another...

MikkiJayne 4th June 2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 157951)
This is true... the early facelift, has the older badge, and the distinctly different steering wheel with raised tiptronic etc.

Also had Autodim mirrors as standard and a few other things. Very early ones had RNS-C instead of D (this is D as it knows about TMC) with a different TV Tuner.

Does a TMC module automatically mean RNS-D? My murple has the early badge and the different steering wheel (with takata airbag :( ), and it has a completely different TV tuner to my 2002s, but it did have a TMC module.

How does one tell the difference externally between RNS C and D?

HPsauce 4th June 2020 07:57 PM

RNS-D has the source label on the bottom left button including TV. Apart from that very little difference, though it's slower.

RNS-C you get to TV by a different method that I've now forgotten, despite having one in my first S8!