A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Replacing PDC button with cup holder (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16428)

Ronin 21st September 2021 03:00 PM

Replacing PDC button with cup holder

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sure someone on here has already done this..

I want to replace the 2 blanks and pdc button with a cup holder on my FL D2 and want to move the PDC button to where the head light range adjustment would be, the issue is I can't find a prefl PDC button that fits the hole.

Any ideas?

HPsauce 21st September 2021 03:41 PM

Well the most critical thing is what type of switch is it? A PF one may not have the same function for a start.

I'd guess that the FL one is just an instantaneous contact type (not latching, the PDC controller probably does that) with a bulb in.

So you need to find a PF switch of the same specification, don't worry about the symbols on it.
Almost all PF switches have the same design of fixings for the cover/cap so if you don't like the switch graphics you can try and find another that is more "in keeping" and swap the caps over.

As an example in that location I have a switch to allow TV-in-motion. It's a latching switch with no bulb and I honestly can't recall what its original function was. It's cap is from a rear blind switch as that symbol was the nearest I could find to a TV screen.

MikkiJayne 21st September 2021 03:44 PM

PF doesn't have a switch for PDC since it only works on the rear so engages and disengages with reverse gear.

paulrstaylor 21st September 2021 04:40 PM

Assuming it is the same as the B6/B7 A4, I can vouch for that cup holder being nearly useless for holding cups, and the biggest issue is that if (or when) something spills it is not a great position for the escaping liquid! :Confused:

That said, it would "fill up" three blanks if you can make it work +++

notorious 21st September 2021 04:51 PM

1. Swap "P" with "ESP" button.

2. Move "ESP" button under the steering wheel
( there is a pre-facelift "ESP" button https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133666627121 -- just make sure you get electric connector for it too )

Both operations will requite extending electric harness a bit, but entirely possible.

HPsauce 21st September 2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 166778)
1. Swap "P" with "ESP" button.

That makes a lot more sense, when did you last use the ESP button?

I know the last time it was used on my PF S8; it was when the scum that stole it decided to find out what it was for and the car ended up in a hedge! :tuttut:

IT 21st September 2021 06:41 PM

I will stand correcting - but I believe the blank (and headlamp leveller switch where xenons not fitted) are slightly curved to match the dashboard....

I'm not sure there are any switches that will fit that gap as all the PF switches are flat as you 'd expect on a dashboard....

HPsauce 21st September 2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 166780)
I will stand correcting - but I believe the blank (and headlamp leveller switch where xenons not fitted) are slightly curved to match the dashboard....

I'm not sure there are any switches that will fit that gap as all the PF switches are flat as you 'd expect on a dashboard....

Please stand Ian and take your corrective punishment. :tuttut:

Just been to check mine and it's a perfect fit. +++

HPsauce 21st September 2021 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, almost, more than good enough unless you're looking extremely closely. ;)

Ronin 21st September 2021 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wow thanks for all these replies.

I've been doing some digging and a VW sharan pdc button looks like it might fit the hole and it even has the led's which should light up..

But i think notorious has the best solution, it's the most 'Audi' solution parts wise, and I'll think I'll go with that, I just have to find a connector to adapt.