A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   central locking vacuum control pump (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14398)

Readie 14th August 2018 01:32 PM

central locking vacuum control pump

Hi all have started this post following my new member intro post.

The central locking works on the key but not on the remote. It also seems that the alarm is not engaging.

I am told by the vendor (who had the central locking tested) that the problem is the central locking vacuum control pump.

Does anyone have any experience of this, of changing this or any other thoughts or comments.

Thanks.

HPsauce 14th August 2018 01:38 PM

That sounds more like a coding issue. If it locks on the key then the pump works.
Coding could be:
1. Remote key not coded to car.
2. Car not coded for enabling remote locking or alarm or both.
3. Something else.

If you have (or someone near you has) VCDS a scan might show more (e.g. errors); it would also enable you to check the central locking module coding.

As the old adage goes, the first tool you buy for a D2 is VCDS. ;)

Readie 14th August 2018 01:45 PM

Thanks HP. so next question...

Where do I get and what type do I get, of a vcds..?

Readie 14th August 2018 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the messages guys.

Sorry but I am new to this type of diagnostic stuff as you will guess from the cars in my signature !!

I have now looked through some of the paperwork and uncovered a couple of printouts from may last year which were carried out about 20 mins apart.

The earlier one has a few fault codes for different ‘addresses’. The print out 20 mins later has all the ‘addresses ‘ clear apart from address 35 - central locking which has 27 faults per the pictures below.

How do I go about sorting this out?

If I took to a garage would they know what to do ?

Comments much appreciated.

mannyo 15th August 2018 07:16 AM

The printout is from VCDS, first thing is to have all those codes cleared which needs vcds and then drive the car for a bit and see what comes back.

Readie 15th August 2018 08:43 AM

thanks mannyo.

I think that is exactly what the owner did back in may 17 given I have the two read outs one with lots of fault codes across the board in many areas/addresses and then another printout I have 20 mins later showing 'all clear' apart from the ones under the central locking section as shown in the picture ...??

HPsauce 15th August 2018 08:56 AM

That was then, this is now, so those details aren't worth much really.
Though they do tell you the car was in a crash severe enough to trigger the unlocking of all the doors.

Hopefully there's someone near you that has VCDS.

Depending which version of VCDS was used clearing codes is not always that reliable, especially if done "globally".
I have a full genuine cable and I still clear codes by going into modules individually, then go back and verify.

HPsauce 15th August 2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Readie (Post 144404)
The print out 20 mins later has all the ‘addresses ‘ clear apart from address 35 - central locking which has 27 faults per the pictures below.

How do I go about sorting this out?

If I took to a garage would they know what to do ?

You would almost certainly save yourself more than you'd spend at a garage by using VCDS to reset and verify those codes that are genuine and taking advice here BEFORE going to a garage that was qualified to work on an A8.
And equip yourself for the future. (For VCDS you need a genuine lead which costs, a software download and a Windows laptop)

Looking at those 27 errors, my thoughts are:
First 5, information, will go away.
Next 12, wiring issues (shorts etc.) probably due to the crash. Are they fixed?
Next 4, information, will go away as keys are used.
Next 3 (alarm horn), you might need a replacement. DIY job, though a bit inaccessible (deliberately) or live without it.
Final 4. No idea, do they mean anything at all?

It could indeed be that the central locking unit is damaged, but if it works from the key blade, unlikely. Others may/will have different opinions. ;)

ainarssems 15th August 2018 11:08 AM

I would not worry too much about opened due to crash fault code if there are no obvious signs of crash damage and repair I have had it come up on mine while in my ownership without crash.

It does show adaption limit surpassed for all 4 keys so i would first try new batteries in keys and try to re-match keys to car.

Code:

Matching procedure for new remote keys

‒ Unlock the vehicle from the outside via the driver's door lock
‒ Switch on the ignition (using additional key).
‒ Lock vehicle from outside with the key to be adapted by way of the driver's lock door.
‒ Within 5 seconds press "unlock" key of remote key until next memory position is reached (3x in example).
Each time the button is pressed the hazard lights will flash to confirm.
‒ Wait 5 seconds.
‒ Then press "unlock" key again. This unlocks the vehicle =>key has been successfully matched.
‒ Switch off ignition and remove ignition key.
‒ Check function of new remote key.

HPsauce 15th August 2018 11:18 AM

I get adaptation limit all the time, usually (I think) due to the keys getting squeezed in my pocket and the buttons pressed.
It doesn't seem to affect remote lock/unlock though.

Just a tip. When doing any of those procedures as described by Ainars, have the drivers window open so you can get at the key in the ignition. ;)