A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Brake Block (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1614)

Singh 15th March 2010 07:56 PM

Brake Block

I've been 'hanging out' with the American D2 owners for the past few weeks and I was chatting to Paul Krasusky who I am swapping lights with about brakes, he told me that they had a group buy on something called brake blocks in the past. They really improve braking performance and he has measured a 5' reduction on his S8.

Heres an e-mail he sent me with a few details on the brake blocks. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here! I'm intrested so will be searching for more details. Seing as the US guys have all tried it and like it, would anyone be intrested in another group buy for us UK owners, or like Paul says we could get the specs and get some fabricated for ourselfes. I think they paid about $30 for their blocks so it seems a cheap way of getting some extra braking power...

Quote:

short short version is ryoung pioneered the concept of MC flex (open your hood, pump brake to floor with car not running and peer thru the crack under the hood and watch your MC move like 1/4 flex - spoooooky), and engineered & fabricated a run of aluminum "blocks" that slip fit over the strut bar and 'wedge' the MC from ever moving again.

I got one out of that initial prod run, then there was a later run with a group buy. Then I think there was another run / GB. Doubt any left overs, you could post / ask. Or ask Randy or others to post up the engineering specs of the BB and give to local fab shop to you to make a run and sell them.

HTH, good luck. Like I said - I measured 5' decreased stopping distance as the pedal no longer mushes out at the floor under full braking. Couldn't even engage ABS before! Try it. That ain't right...

Mr K 16th March 2010 09:10 AM

You can put me down for one if it goes ahead.

It's actually a pretty common issue, I have done it before and it can make a iog difference - so long as where your moving the loads to is sting enough. I know on some cars the flex around the pedal box can cause fatigue cracking.

Not sure I agree about the abs, get some decent pads in there! I can get the abs to start to kick in at about 40-50mph, in the dry, on good tyres.

PsYcHe 16th March 2010 09:47 AM

The block is an upside-down 'L' shape essentially that stops the master cylinder moving forward using the bulkhead in front of it as a barrier.

Only works on the FL model though. I remember the thread on it on audiworld a while back. I think they have a pretty heavy archiving policy there so the thread appears to be gone.

Zip 16th March 2010 02:14 PM

I've got one...

...bought one on the Quattroworld group buy. Does seem to make quite a difference under heavy braking.

Very nice lump of pretty aluminium as well. I'll try and get a photo up. Needed to loosen off the strut brace (against which it is wedged) to slide in. Perfect fit, although it does ever so slightly foul the plastic upper cover.

Zip

Markiii 30th October 2018 11:43 PM

anyone know if these are still available?

MikkiJayne 31st October 2018 08:26 AM

Rather serendipitous timing! I'm 3D printing a prototype batch right now :D Check out the video on my FB page +++

Markiii 31st October 2018 09:57 AM

count me in for one then MK :-)

HPsauce 31st October 2018 10:10 AM

I'm not a Facebook person so can't see that, but I presume it's a lump of what will be hard plastic fitted against the strut brace? Or will it eventually be metal?

Does this have any advantage in normal driving, e.g. better brake feel, or is it just for the really spirited driver or on-track use? If the former I'd be interested too.

Finally, are you involved in the 3D-printing attempt on the foglight grilles? I loaned my spare 1-piece set to Neil for that exercise, but wasn't sure who was doing the work.

Markiii 31st October 2018 11:15 AM

looking at how much movement is shown in the vids MK mentioned I would expect it of benefit to everyone

MikkiJayne 31st October 2018 12:36 PM

I'll upload it to Youtube at some point. It makes an immediate improvement to the brake pedal feel without the car even moving so I think it will be of use to everyone. I'll make a thread about it +++

I do plan to print foglight grilles at some point yes. That's quite a big project though. We need to scan them in first, and I haven't made a scanner yet, then figure out what to print them from. The biggest challenge is how to get an acceptable surface finish on them. Straight off the printer is fine for stuff like this master cylinder brace, but not for cosmetic items. If we have to spend hours hand-finishing them then its cheaper to have them moulded, or just buy new ones.