A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   Motormouth (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Flat Battery-Booster Pack (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12760)

Delboy 1st March 2017 05:15 PM

Flat Battery-Booster Pack

I don't often recommend products but as we all dread the A8 flat battery syndrome, which I experienced a few times on the S8 because of door handles keeping the car awake.

The most recent flat battery pushed the wife over the edge and I purchased a booster battery hoping it would get her out of a jam should she need it.

So I bought this fully expecting it to be a POS.

Today i was working to rectify the battery drains on the car and in doing so managed to flatten the battery :o So I broke out the booster expecting it to confirm my doubts about its ability to start a large engine.

To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement, if you want piece of mind then buy one and throw it in the boot you might just be glad you did.

See it in action here

mattylondon 1st March 2017 05:47 PM

+++

MikkiJayne 1st March 2017 09:47 PM

Wow. Pretty impressed that tiny thing can start a V10! I might have to invest in one of those +++

Johnmed 2nd March 2017 10:12 PM

I was already subscribed to your YT channel, and watched this yesterday I think. Those 10 cylinders when it fires up, sound immense! I wondered why I was subscribed, and now I know!

briang9 2nd March 2017 11:06 PM

That's very impressive+++

M-A8 2nd March 2017 11:09 PM

This is a cracking piece of kit.
I'll be getting one for sure.

Norretal 3rd March 2017 08:33 PM

I saw your post a couple of days ago Del and thought "that's very impressive, I must get one"

Two days later it pops up on my Instagram newsfeed as a "sponsored advert" but the exact same bit of kit and price..........coincidence, or clever marketing using information previously posted on social media?

paulrstaylor 3rd March 2017 10:20 PM

Did you click on the link to Amazon above? Assuming so it will be a targeted advert based upon a tracking cookie.....

Norretal 4th March 2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 125421)
Did you click on the link to Amazon above? Assuming so it will be a targeted advert based upon a tracking cookie.....

I did indeed Paul, I find it clever that because of that click its appeared on my Instagram and Facebook timelines which I access on my phone only, while also having different names on both. I assume it links my name to all three forums as it accesses my information behind the user names?

Probably straightforward stuff to those of you who understand that type of trickery but pretty cool to an IT illiterate like me :)

ainarssems 5th March 2017 04:34 AM

Good bit of kit compared to old lead acid battery boosters but remember that it is just that - a booster. I don;t think it will start car on it's own if battery is totally flat. Those cables look very thin and I don't think they can carry 800A without significant voltage drop and heat. I have a lot thicker jumper cables that will not carry enough current to start 4.2 if battery is flat but they are a lot longer as well so that's a factor. It does say peak current 800A but does not say for what amount of time, is t it 1 second or 0.0001s? DC output it only says 15A. As it is lithium battery the voltage will be 14.4-14.8V so even with flat car battery it will be pushing some juice in car battery so if it does not start straight away if you leave it connected for 10-15min it will get some charge in car battery and then you should be able to start combining power of both.

It would be interesting if anybody could try it with totally flat car battery or car battery removed all together.