A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Would a stripped out FL S8 manual be a good track car? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9132)

SilverS8 16th November 2014 11:28 PM

Would a stripped out FL S8 manual be a good track car?

Just having some vague udeas on what to do with S8 in the future :)

1730kg is apx curb weight and that needs to go down. From the weight obsession thread it shouldnt be a problem getting it down into the 1400 range.

Car still needs to be road legal to avoid draging it around on a trailer..

From different sites i've seen that the weight of the car is balanced 60/40 and maybe not the perfect car for lets say Nurnburgring.. or?

What do you guys think?

I need a new project since my better half is refusing to let me get a R-Bike again(unless i get a rather high life insurance...:p )

Architex_mA8tey 17th November 2014 01:32 AM

A couple of our owners bought a 4.2 quattro a few years ago and between them stripped out everything they could including most of the dash and all standard seats etc but left the car road legal and drive-able. I last saw it at castle Combe race track pushing a guy in an R8 from behind and watched the R8 driver getting more and more larey with his driving as they kept squarely in his rear view mirror lol. I think there's a video on YouTube somwhere! I'm sure an S8 would be even better! Go for it!! :D

Dave McB 17th November 2014 10:50 AM

I actually started my search for an A8 by looking at that idea for a track car/European adventure car (with the premise that if it blew up then id just leave it wherever I was & fly home)

I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a viable track project - mainly because of the complex 4x4 system, the auto box & the potential repair costs. I actually opted for a Volvo in place.

If you buy a manual version it would take some of the costs/reliability out -
BUT

Its never gonna be a cheap option - depends on how much cash youre willing to throw at a track project.

HPsauce 17th November 2014 11:17 AM

Or go the whole way and do the RS8 conversion! :eek:
(It's on a thread here somewhere)

tintin 17th November 2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McB (Post 84585)
I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a viable track project - mainly because of the complex 4x4 system, the auto box & the potential repair costs. I actually opted for a Volvo in place.

A T5/T5R hopefully? +++

SilverS8 17th November 2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McB (Post 84585)
I actually started my search for an A8 by looking at that idea for a track car/European adventure car (with the premise that if it blew up then id just leave it wherever I was & fly home)

Well. This will not be that kinda project, but the main reason is to have a turn-key and go racing with out all the hassle of turbo's and all other stuff i have done with my RS2 and URS6.. (expensive things break all the time) and the C4 Chassis along with the B4 chassis ar not that good on the track.

Quote:

The quattro system in it self i see no problem in regarding track racing. Would of course need a torsen rear diff. My only consern since i find no info on the web is how will the D2 chassis handle it selv. Will i be to heavy no matter what i do?

I have yet to try my S8 on any track but from pushing it on narrow mountain roads it feels alot more aligned and corners way better then the RS2 and S6 for sure..

Will of course need a new adjustable suspension and most likely adjustable controll arms.

Quote:

If you buy a manual version it would take some of the costs/reliability out -
BUT

Its never gonna be a cheap option - depends on how much cash youre willing to throw at a track project.
Then there is the definition of "Cheap"
i Had my S6 for 13 years and put apx 10K GBP in engine and suspension (only parts cost and to many hours in the garage) It managed 460 bhp to the crank and did really run perfect, but with high pressure turbo engine somethings always brake and just maintaning is expensive and timeconsuming.

I bought the S8 3,5 years ago and got ut "cheap" £18600.. The used car marked has fallen severly so the value now might be £10000. So i see no reason to sell but insted mondify it to become the weekend racer and garage Queen :) Other option would be to buy an S4 B5 or S2 that would cost me more the value of my car. Then i would need to spend 10k again on turbo, rods, fuel system, and so on.

I do believe that the 40v V8 will be a good working horse and that the weight reduction would make the car powerfull enough withoutt going compressor/turbo

But i need some info how it behaves on the track:) So if anyone find anything please let me know :)

I could by a Manual S8 from Germany for £6500 But when the tax to bring it in here is £13000 that wont be cost effective :)

tintin 17th November 2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverS8 (Post 84622)
But i need some info how it behaves on the track:) So if anyone find anything please let me know :)

The engine is powerful enough for what you need on the 'Ring (and mine took on a whole new character on the times that I've been round the Ring in it...+++) - especially since reducing the weight, as you're planning to do, will take care of the fact that it's overweight for this purpose.

I think to be effective you'd probably need to upgrade the suspension, as the regular s8 suspension is definitely too soft in standard setup for proper track use.

Goran 17th November 2014 03:55 PM

There was a old thread somewhere on Tyresmoke, before we all migrated to A8Parts, where Botang and another chap, forgot his name, stripped out a 4.2 A8 D2 (FL?) and used it on the track. If I remember correctly their thoughts were that its a really good chassis because it is so stiff. They did a quarter mile run, the 0-60 was something like 5.7s which is faster than the book value for a FL S8 6.2s
I cant remember what weight they got it down to eventually, I think it was just above 1500kg.

Look in your service book, there is no way your auto S8 weighs 1730kg, it will be above 1800kg I'm afraid.

Just roughly, front seats -68kg (but +20 if you went with bucket seats), rear seats -30kg, spare wheel -24kg, cut out middle and rear exhaust boxes -20kg.
Also there is the carpets, not sure how much but I'm guessing 10kg.
That's the cheap stuff -132 total.

Then the expensive stuff, lithium battery -20kg, JHM lightweight discs -9kg, OZ Racing ultraLeggera? 18" alloys -20kg (my mistake not -32) (Michellin Super sport tyres). Rough estimate of cost: £3200
That's another -49kg.

Total: -200kg rounded off with a few bits and bobs (depending on your options) heated windscreen & wiring, electric sunshade all the boot tools.

Just remembered, no sunroof could be another 10kg or 20kg, anyone weighed one?

Actually, forget what I said, if they got a 4.2 A8 down to 1550kg and it started off at 1850kg which is a good average, my previous S8 was 1865 with options, then it should be possible to remove 300kg from the car. They did take literally all the trim out, dashboard, everything. A8 4.2 should weigh the same as a S8, no real difference there except options.

The problem ultimately may be that the engine hangs out over the front wheels, and the auto box weighs 145kg dry and probably 155kg realistically with fluids and flex plate,etc.
The difference between the auto box and the 75kg (85kg with flywheel) manual box in sharp turns is very noticable.

Goran 17th November 2014 10:10 PM

I found the old thread if you are interested, some nice pictures of the stripped out car.

http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic...-8s-at-inters/

Dave McB 17th November 2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 84595)
A T5/T5R hopefully? +++

Ex Liverpool traffic police T5 estate 👍

Still strong as an ox. :ROFL: