A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   S8 D3 front suspension knocking (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16291)

Prefferle 12th June 2021 09:14 AM

S8 D3 front suspension knocking

Hi folks, more challenges with my much loved S8. For several weeks I’ve been trying to sort out a persistent knock in my front suspension and it only occurs driving on uneven road surfaces and potholes like on country roads. I’m hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. So far I’ve replaced all front top and lower suspension arms and links with Meyle HD, Also replaced complete stabiliser bar with Audi OEM. I have checked the steering ends and checked for play on steering knuckles and rack and all feels tight and the car steers tight with no apparent play.
Still having this rattle! It’s mainly audible with no feel on the steering. My air struts work perfectly up and down smoothly. I was thinking that on a normal car suspension this noise can be a top strut mount or the strut itself but I’m not seeing this sort of strut failure on the forums. Do I need to replace the air struts? Any thoughts on what next would appreciated. Thanks

homer simpson 12th June 2021 04:09 PM

Seems you have replaced most items. I wonder if it is the shock part of the strut?

Does it do it in comfort mode too?

Prefferle 12th June 2021 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 165294)
Seems you have replaced most items. I wonder if it is the shock part of the strut?

Does it do it in comfort mode too?

Good point! So first drive for the day I don’t notice any knocking. Then after driving along for say about 1/2 hour and onwards knocking is certainly present on rough surfaces only. In both comfort and dynamic modes tested.

I’m thinking the knocking is coming from front only but sounds like on both sides. I’m thinking to replace both struts but would hate to invest that much especially as they work perfectly, and not to cure the problem.

The steering ends are tight and I checked virtually everything I could find except engine mounts and struts. Don’t feel the knocking in the steering.
Really sounds like a strut tower mount see item-6 on attachment would this cause it?

homer simpson 13th June 2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prefferle (Post 165295)
Good point! So first drive for the day I don’t notice any knocking. Then after driving along for say about 1/2 hour and onwards knocking is certainly present on rough surfaces only. In both comfort and dynamic modes tested.

I’m thinking the knocking is coming from front only but sounds like on both sides. I’m thinking to replace both struts but would hate to invest that much especially as they work perfectly, and not to cure the problem.

The steering ends are tight and I checked virtually everything I could find except engine mounts and struts. Don’t feel the knocking in the steering.
Really sounds like a strut tower mount see item-6 on attachment would this cause it?

They are only £6.19 from Audi so might be worth replacing and see how you get on

Prefferle 14th June 2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 165299)
They are only £6.19 from Audi so might be worth replacing and see how you get on

Thanks Homer,
Jacking up again this weekend will replace tie rods and ends as well as check all bits over again. Bracing myself for possible replacing struts…

H-M3 15th June 2021 12:08 AM

My local Kwikfit has those ramps where they shake the car to see/hear noise, might be worthwhile seeing your local? Obviously don’t rely on the spotty teenagers +++

Prefferle 19th June 2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-M3 (Post 165318)
My local Kwikfit has those ramps where they shake the car to see/hear noise, might be worthwhile seeing your local? Obviously don’t rely on the spotty teenagers +++

Now that sounds like a great idea! I have not visited a Kwikfit in years - I’ll check it out and see if they have that system.+++

dangerdred 20th June 2021 11:10 AM

When you replaced the ARB you replaced the drop-links as well?

Prefferle 5th October 2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerdred (Post 165398)
When you replaced the ARB you replaced the drop-links as well?

Drop links and complete front stabiliser bar replaced

Prefferle 5th October 2021 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prefferle (Post 165289)
Hi folks, more challenges with my much loved S8. For several weeks I’ve been trying to sort out a persistent knock in my front suspension and it only occurs driving on uneven road surfaces and potholes like on country roads. I’m hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. So far I’ve replaced all front top and lower suspension arms and links with Meyle HD, Also replaced complete stabiliser bar with Audi OEM. I have checked the steering ends and checked for play on steering knuckles and rack and all feels tight and the car steers tight with no apparent play.
Still having this rattle! It’s mainly audible with no feel on the steering. My air struts work perfectly up and down smoothly. I was thinking that on a normal car suspension this noise can be a top strut mount or the strut itself but I’m not seeing this sort of strut failure on the forums. Do I need to replace the air struts? Any thoughts on what next would appreciated. Thanks

UPDATE Replaced both front air Struts with Aerosus Sport replacements and the knocking noise Is eliminated. Thanks for all the suggestions+++