A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   My rear entertainment (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11426)

Rick 4th April 2016 05:21 PM

My rear entertainment

6 Attachment(s)
After some thunking about what to do about the lack of a dvd player for my boy, i settled on these.
Xtrons HD101 units.
Same movie on both 10.1inch screens or seperate movies as both have built in dvd player, usb and sd slots. Hdmi slot for linking your phone or tab.
Also plays 32bit games from a dvd. I got all the classics for the boy as he loves pacman and all that old arcade stuff after watching the newish pixels movie
Functionality of the tv itself is huge, so many options to change and play with its brilliant.
Good quality wireless headphones as well!
Easy to install being clipped onto the head rest posts and in seconds can be removed if you live in a pikey area�� plus you can keep it for any car as you get multiple headrest post spacers.
Comes with cigarette plug and a hardwire option. Can be a stand alone system or with the supplied leads you can plum it into the av1 or av2 phono leads in the back and run the movie through the main front screen which is a nice touch!
Well worth the £175 I paid to keep the boy happy!!

M-A8 5th April 2016 07:25 AM

I am keep toying with the idea of the RSE for some time now.
OEM is what I prefer, but then resolution of the screen is poor.
So if you are considering an aftermarket kit not for silly money this is the way to go after playing with it for a while on the back of the Rick's car.
The quality of the actual screen and picture is fantastic
Quality of the sound and wireless headphones is great
The way it all fits and how easy the entire system can be removed is fantastic
Input and output options are all there

Great piece of kit Rick +++

The_Laird 5th April 2016 07:41 AM

With the title of this thread, I thought I'd strayed onto the wrong site for a moment! :o

tc4332 5th April 2016 07:44 AM

I also have been wanting to do this. My only hang up on these units is to do with the cabling. I liked the idea of the wires passing through the headrest support pillars but with these the cables would be external.
How have you hiddent these wires?
I notice from your photos that your seat backs are different to mine. My preformed back covers finish just above the drop down portion.

limoncello 5th April 2016 11:53 AM

i tried to get wiring down the pole of my D3 headrests, i guess it depends which you have they seem to vary, but oncle apart there are not 2 seprate poles, its a one piece afair that bends round , its also not thick enough to pass anything but wires through so you would have to cust of the plugs that come with the aftermarket sets and then rewire.

you would also need to cut a hole to feed them in , which i wasnt willing to do, as it would affect the safety of the headrest, if the monitor is set in to headrest you dont notice the wire too much, its only an inch or two. not sure how these ones attached to the poles would look. but its probably the way i will go in the next car.

H-M3 5th April 2016 02:46 PM

this looks ideal, any chance of a shot with a decent dvd film on there? just to see the picture quality.

cheers

Rick 5th April 2016 06:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I ran all my cables down the back of seat to the footwell, temporarily from there out to the side trim and back under the rear seats. Until i can get a proper look under the seats and find a better route. But for now it will do. Im not going to hard wire the power, instead i will feed it from the 12v socket in the boot.
Put avatar and robots on and took some pictures for ya but i think the phone was to close as its done that thing when you look at a screen through a lens and it looks odd with wavy lines. The robots one is better, other screen so further away.

H-M3 5th April 2016 06:45 PM

Looks spot on mate. Got a 4 year old so this just might be trick.👍

Rick 5th April 2016 06:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And the best bit is these classic games!
At the mo i got super mario bros 1 2 and 3, space invaders, pac man, paperboy and various others. All play from the dvd rom. Bloody excellent and my 9 yr old is made up with it!

M-A8 5th April 2016 07:03 PM

The quality is very very good, for the money is just unreal how good the whole kit is. I couldn't find a single problem with it and I've tried, only due to the fact that I'm set for putting OEM stuff. This kit got me thinking if OEM is way to go because I want them for is to send the signal from the tv tuner. With this kit all I can do all that still and much more.
Movie quality was great +++

carmel120 5th April 2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 109502)
And the best bit is these classic games!
At the mo i got super mario bros 1 2 and 3, space invaders, pac man, paperboy and various others. All play from the dvd rom. Bloody excellent and my 9 yr old is made up with it!

Have you link for these they look good.

cheers trev

Rick 5th April 2016 07:23 PM

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...126983&alt=web

Theres the link. Its the one i got.
Can get 9 inch version for a bit less depending what your budget is i guess

tc4332 6th April 2016 07:25 AM

Thanks for the photos, Rick.
This does look like the best way to go, much better definition screen than the OEM.
As I mentioned earlier, my seat backs are different than yours, they do not come up as far as yours, nor do they wrap over the top. I'll have to find some way of routing the cables so that they are not too obvious.

Rick 8th April 2016 05:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so i finished with the install today.
Routed the cabling properly, got the av1 and av2 inputs in and topped it off by connecting the dvds to av1 so now i get all screens showing the movie, and then got the video in motion turned on! Not a bad days playing!
I did have a head scratch at first as i was getting sound to the front screen but no picture, but then i remembered (think it was on del's) a post about ntsc not working. So i changed the screens to pal and bingo, picture! Job jobbed.
Just waiting for the dab unit to turn up then back at it!

H-M3 8th April 2016 05:03 PM

I hope you have taken pictures for us numpty's? Looks spot on tho!👍

limoncello 8th April 2016 05:08 PM

but,

you havent ported the tv through to the headrests though have you :)

Rick 8th April 2016 05:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
No im waiting for the 3rd set of av leads to turn up before i can do that. In truth i didnt know that was an option until i got a copy of the install pins on the av1 and 2. And there was the pins needed for tv out so ordered the 3rd set straight away. Should be monday or tuesday i hope!
As for pics there isnt really much to it.
I ran the cabling from the units (single multicore) down behind my seat back plastics to the bottom.
From the bottom i left a slight loop for seat movement so it doesnt go tight. Where the rear vent is under the seat is a seam where 2 bits of carpet meet so i bedded the cable into that and out under the chair runner and up to the side sill covers.
From there back to the rear seat, pop of the rear sill trim and there is a lovely hole that runs through to the boot in the bottom left of the seat back as you look in from the rear.
From there just route all cabling behind the left side trim cover to the tv unit. I took my power from from the boot 12v socket. Im not going to hardwire it.
That was for the passenger side.
The driver side was the same upto the point of getting to the back seat. From there i routed it across/under the rear seat so it could link with the rca's from the passenger side leads.

limoncello 8th April 2016 05:36 PM

its a tight squeeze getting all three av's in,

Rick 8th April 2016 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im used to playing with wires in very tight spaces. Thats the last relay room i worked in at forrest hill station. Lol

limoncello 8th April 2016 06:41 PM

its not the pins fitting, its closing the plug back up , all depends on whether you get leads with thick or thin wires.

it was a struggle and i had the wiring loom out , not working in the tight gap

Rick 8th April 2016 10:07 PM

Yeah that will be a bit of a squeeze. If need be i will alter the wiring if its an issue. Shouldn't be though.

limoncello 9th April 2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-M3 (Post 109501)
Looks spot on mate. Got a 4 year old so this just might be trick.👍

only problem with young kids, if they cant use the remote or read etc, is you need to be able to see it on the fron screen so you can change what they are watching etc, which means extra cabling to the av1 input on the tuner in the rear, while your there might as well add an out from the tuner to the av1 in of the device to get tv also.

one of mine has just reached 5 so when i put them in the d4 (when i get one soon hopefully) i might not bother with all the extra.

limoncello 9th April 2016 10:04 AM

out of interest, did you have to remove the headrest to get these in, or is it a telescopic thingy that springs between the poles, i dont fancy removing headrests if they hay be active (whatever that means or electric

Rick 9th April 2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limoncello (Post 109854)
out of interest, did you have to remove the headrest to get these in, or is it a telescopic thingy that springs between the poles, i dont fancy removing headrests if they hay be active (whatever that means or electric

Sprung setup, no removal of headrests needed.
As you say they clip in between the poles. So a very quick and easy install

My av outs turned up today so will get them fitted so boy can watch tv in the back as well.

Rick 10th April 2016 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All aux connections in. Thats that sorted and out the way!

limoncello 10th April 2016 03:12 PM

nicely labeled too, nice one

Rick 10th April 2016 03:34 PM

Yeah I thought I ought to label which was which for ease.

H-M3 2nd January 2017 02:20 AM

just wanted to revive this thread to see if your AV units are still going strong and have you done much more to it?+++

tc4332 2nd January 2017 09:48 AM

I am also interested in your thoughts after a few months use.
I also labeled my AV inputs & Out but i did it 'cos I know my memory is crap and that it would be a lot of moons before I managed to complete the install.
It still surprises me how SWMBO finds uses for my pocket money before I manage to buy what I want.

H-M3 2nd January 2017 11:22 PM

I have yet to fit my DTV but wanted to get all the wiring in place prior, so can anyone suggest how many of what will I need if i wanted the 2 rear screens etc? Any pics of any wiring that goes onto the DTV with the extra screens?
ta

Rick 21st July 2018 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry guys. Just seen this

Here is the pin chart I used to get all in.

H-M3 21st July 2018 11:54 AM

Cheers rick. Did you use the kufatec ones or alternative ones? Bit confused with the colour coding:Confused:

Rick 22nd July 2018 07:25 AM

To be honest i dont remember mate.
I think they were ebay ones because I remember at the time thinking there wasnt much in price difference.
Mine were blue black and red
Blue being video
Black being left audio
Red being right audio.

Other leads could be
yellow video
White left
Red right

Shouldnt be to hard to sort mate. 1 crimp should have 2 wires going to it which will be the left/right audio neg.
The spare ones from that cable will be the pos
Then just the video.
Do you have a picture of your leads with the crimped end. I should be able to work it out for you mate.
Rickybull@sky.com if its easier mate.

Rick 22nd July 2018 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the ebay ones i bought

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F381575113139

In the picture for the blue lead/video:
The black is the neg and red the pos

The audio leads have a thicker black wire which is the left and right neg combined.
The red is the right pos and the thinner black is the left pos.

If yours are different send me a pic.

Hope this helps mate.

H-M3 22nd July 2018 11:38 AM

Thanks Rick! I am a numpty when it comes to wiring.:Confused:good thing is that I bought the same cables as you. So for me the numpty, the blue wire has 2 crimped pins, one red thick and one blue thin. Where in the pin diagram would they fit? The red and black have 3 wires with crimp, thin black and thin red and a thick red. Where in the diagram would they fit? Sorry for the million Qs but don’t want to fry my Hybrid tv.+++ I have emailed you so if it’s easy just email me back. Also how would you rate RSE now that you have had it for some time?