A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Am I insane? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9935)

Cornershop 29th April 2015 10:46 AM

Am I insane?

Just about to be hit by another huge bill thanks to driveshaft and brakes

Past two months I've spent:

March - buy car £3k
April - £3k major service inc all fluids, cambelt/pulleys/t-stat/pump, pesky oil cooler pipe, alternator, front O2 sensors via dropped down pipe method
April - £500 new Goodyear assymetric 2 tyres
April - £250 refurb wheels
April - £270 vcds
April - £70 MaF

May(by the time I get car back) - new genuine Audi discs/pads, tie rod ends and inner arms, and new driveshaft - £3k bill estimated ! (Wish I'd checked price of aftermarket parts prices before giving the go ahead for Audi parts)

To come - visit by paintless dent remover £200 ish, MOT in July, investigate SAI related DTC in VCDS

So a 10k outlay in 3 months - maybe I shouldn't make a career of buying/selling cars, the business model appears to need tweaking somewhat :)

mattylondon 29th April 2015 10:52 AM

For the love of cars hey? But what a smile when you're behind the wheel +++

IT 29th April 2015 11:43 AM

Its probably the most lavish spend I've seen on a D2 in some time, but if you're happy with it and intend to keep it a while, then the insanity vote could be withheld just for now....

If you attempt to sell it anytime soon however, now that would be an insane loss of investment.... +++

moltuae 29th April 2015 12:08 PM

I've spent close to that in the last few months too, not counting the purchase cost (since I've had it for over 4 years now).

The way I see it, my car will be like new soon, and I've still saved a fortune on the new price :)

Cornershop 29th April 2015 01:27 PM

Ah, excellent - glad I'm not alone :)

I have 'previous' of spending lavishly (minty 190e 2.6 and vgc e24 both sold within 18m of 5k expenditure each), so I'm adamant this one will stick around for a while.

It suits my needs superbly and as mentioned above, the driving experience will only be enhanced by what I'm having and what I've had done.

Me and my brother egg each on - he too is an old 911 owner, has an e39 touring and is now looking for a w126 merc so it kinda runs in the family (unfortunately?)

I think n my case, impatience comes into it and wanting the car as good as possible ASAP

To top this off, I have a dentist visit tomorrow and with my bottom jaw looking like manny pacquaio (sp?) has introduced himself, guessing it won't be cheap either!

Cornershop 8th July 2015 02:55 PM

A quick update and more expenditure (!)

March - buy car £3k
April - £3k major service inc all fluids, cambelt/pulleys/t-stat/pump, pesky oil cooler pipe, alternator, front O2 sensors via dropped down pipe method
April - £500 new Goodyear assymetric 2 tyres
April - £250 refurb wheels
April - £270 vcds
April - £70 MaF
May - new genuine Audi discs/pads, tie rod ends and inner arms, and new OSF driveshaft - £3k

June/July - MOT failure (lower front control arms on both sides due to worn bushes), front wheel bearings, engine oil change to Mobil 1 0w/40, brake fluid change - £1.6k. (dentist was £200!)

Sincerely hope that's it for now ..... having said that, garage overfilled oil by 10mm on the dipstick so have just bought a siphon from ebay to bring the level down somewhat.