A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Cruise control stalk switches - dismantling (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15483)

HPsauce 30th January 2020 04:17 PM

Cruise control stalk switches - dismantling

I have had (probably in common with many others) problems with my cruise control for ages. This is absolutely down to the switches on the stalk, specifically on the slider switch.

When I first got the car it didn't work at all. Following advice from others here I applied contact cleaner and vigorously exercised all the switches. Eventually it started working.

The "set" button on the end works reliably (if pressed firmly) but the slider switch has always been problematic. Typically if you try to use it to increase the set speed it as often as not just turns cruise control off. So I just normally leave it in the "on position" at all times and increase speed with my right foot and then the "set" button.

While investigating my brake pedal switch issue the other day I also had a look at the cruise control as it's in the same group of measuring blocks (Engine 66). I can see in VCDS that operating the slider switch will frequently generate an "off" code for a short time, so it is clearly faulty and ideally I'd like to try and fix it.

Does anyone know how to take the end of the stalk apart to get at the switches, ideally without needing to remove it from the car? It looks as if the actual slider will probably just pop off, but I'm reluctant to do that unless someone knows that is safe and will reveal some screws or fixings relevant to getting inside.

MikkiJayne 30th January 2020 04:28 PM

I have a duff one which I was contemplating taking apart for this exact investigation. Its sacrificial so it may come apart with the aid of the Dremel, but at least then we'll find out how it's put together :D

HPsauce 30th January 2020 04:38 PM

Cheers MJ, are you planning to do that sometime soon or want to pass/send it to me at some convenient time for me to have a look?
If it's part of the whole unit with the lights stalk presumably not easy to "pop in the post"?

PS I think (hope) you've still got my sill plates somewhere safe.....

MikkiJayne 30th January 2020 04:50 PM

I can see them from here :D

I can split it from the wiper stalk so PM me your address and you can have at it +++

steamship 30th January 2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HPsauce (Post 155382)
Does anyone know how to take the end of the stalk apart to get at the switches, ideally without needing to remove it from the car? It looks as if the actual slider will probably just pop off, but I'm reluctant to do that unless someone knows that is safe and will reveal some screws or fixings relevant to getting inside.

The Res/On/Off slider will prise off gently with a flat bladed jewellers screwdriver (plastic trim tools are too thick). Care should be taken as there is a small spring in it (about 2mm in diameter). Both the front and rear plates can be removed in the same fashion, with both being held in by four plastic hooks. The button mechanism is encased in the arm structure, and although held in place at the back by a lug (white) that can be pushed in, there doesn't seem to be any slack in the wiring to allow it to be removed completely.

It may mean removing the arm completely, but let's see how MJ fares with the Dremel. I've probably only used cruise control on mine a handful of times, but not that to attack it any more.

HPsauce 30th January 2020 05:54 PM

Thanks Sean, MJ is sending her sacrificial one to me anyway so I'll document what I find in due course.

RS6 31st March 2020 08:09 AM

Never knew about the slider just set it and then reset it everytime :ROFL:

The_Laird 31st March 2020 10:22 AM

I only ever use mine where there are average speed cameras! It’s always been a bit temperamental and more bother than it’s worth most of the time, IMHO. Now, if we had any good long stretches of quiet motorway anywhere, that would be different.. But I do look forward to the autopsy! :)

RICKY D 31st March 2020 04:32 PM

I always assumed it was me doing something wrong why I could never increase speed using the stalk, but could easily decrease it. I have been doing the increase using throttle method and then (re)setting it. It never occurred to me that the stalk could be faulty.

I’m interested in what you find out Andrew.

MikkiJayne 31st March 2020 04:54 PM

Andrew probably won't find much because I forgot to post the switch before the apocalypse started :(

I might take it apart later.