A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Oil pick up pipe in the sump (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16110)

S81 4th February 2021 08:59 PM

Oil pick up pipe in the sump

has anyone removed the sump and checked /cleaned the oil pick up pipe gauze and if so is there anything else that should be done when in there and would you have the torque setting for the sump and pick up ,i've check but can't find

steamship 5th February 2021 11:58 AM

I found the following settings for the sump bolts, which I've reproduced exactly (as I don't understand the difference):

Sump (Lower bolt(s))
Stage 1 - 5Nm
Stage 2 - 9Nm

Sump (Upper bolt(s))
Stage 1 - 5Nm
Stage 2 - 90 degrees

Can't find anything for the pickup.

While you're at that end of the engine, the oil drain plug is 25Nm.

Obvious question (for MJ) as I've never dealt with sump bolts before, but are those values so low because of the thinness of the metal used for the sump, to avoid distortion?

MikkiJayne 5th February 2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 162774)
Obvious question (for MJ) as I've never dealt with sump bolts before, but are those values so low because of the thinness of the metal used for the sump, to avoid distortion?

That's normal for an M6 fastener, in aluminium or steel. I would have said 10Nm without looking it up, and yes two stages is to avoid distortion. Usually that'd be done in a diagonal pattern to pull it down evenly. I don't measure the first stage since spec on a D2 is just final torque, so I nip them up by hand first then follow with the torque wrench.

The 5+90° is the same as the cam caps in the D2. They're trying to achieve a specific amount of tension on the bolt with the 90°, as an angle is more accurate than a turning torque. Usually an angle signifies the bolt is torque-to-yield (stretching past its elastic limit) but that spec isn't enough to stretch a high tensile M6 bolt (I've measured used against new) so its just done for accurate tension.

S81 5th February 2021 05:44 PM

Thanks Sean and mj,i'll let you know who it goes

strummagnet 5th February 2021 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikkiJayne (Post 162775)
The 5+90° is the same as the cam caps in the D2. They're trying to achieve a specific amount of tension on the bolt with the 90°, as an angle is more accurate than a turning torque. Usually an angle signifies the bolt is torque-to-yield (stretching past its elastic limit) but that spec isn't enough to stretch a high tensile M6 bolt (I've measured used against new) so its just done for accurate tension.

Sorry to jump in here MJ but when I did mine (AMX 2.8) I used the Elsawin guide and no reference to addtional 90° just 10NM. Now I am a little worried as after fixing took the car for a mini Italian tune up to Brixham and back!

Attachment 25446
Attachment 25447

steamship 6th February 2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strummagnet (Post 162782)
Sorry to jump in here MJ but when I did mine (AMX 2.8) I used the Elsawin guide and no reference to addtional 90° just 10NM. Now I am a little worried as after fixing took the car for a mini Italian tune up to Brixham and back!

The torque settings being referenced in the post are for the 5.2 V10 engine.

S81 12th February 2021 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sump of and all looks good ,the gauze look to be perfectly clean ,i removed the arb to get acess to the row of rear bolts and it made it straightforward

S81 12th February 2021 06:17 PM

Ps the metal pipe in the pic is attached to the bottom of the rad with 2 screws ,and it's very badly corroded at one point does anyone know part no or have exploded diagram for it please

steamship 12th February 2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S81 (Post 163002)
Ps the metal pipe in the pic is attached to the bottom of the rad with 2 screws ,and it's very badly corroded at one point does anyone know part no or have exploded diagram for it please

If you can identify the pipe in the following PDF, I'll check for a part number as the illustration in the parts catalogue has a host of pipes. Section 19 is the relevant part to look in.

11-Service Manual 10-cylinder direct petrol injection engine (5 2 ltr 4-valve BSM) mechanics.pdf

S81 12th February 2021 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's called the bottom front coolant pipe in the 3rd pic down Sean ,i'll have another look to see if I can find a better diagram with it