A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   D4 car sim (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15344)

H-M3 30th November 2019 01:46 AM

D4 car sim

My learned friends, hope everyone is keeping well and warm. Jus wanted to ask about the car sim port. What is the benefit of that and would it be better than pairing your phone via BT? Also I read about Google earth being available, how does one access that? Thanks

Architex_mA8tey 30th November 2019 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I would guess that using the in car SIM would generally give a better signal to the phone than the standard mobile phone aeriel would but not sure how beneficial that is these days. It's also possible to use the in car SIM as a WiFi hotspot which may be of use.

The best benefit to me is the use of Google earth live mapping and also online destinations. Insert a sim with data use availability into the slot behind the cover under the clock, then wait as it takes a few minutes for the car to register it and fire up access to it.

To activate Google earth press the Nav button then choose settings and map display needs to be set to Google earth then the Google logo on the bottom right of the screen will gradually change from grey to white as the map data loads.
It doesn't use much data, maybe 1-3 meg a month depending on how much you are travelling around - it only updates the map as it needs to by downloading more from Google earth admit requires it

Online destinations allows you to press the speech button on the steering wheel and say "online destinations" followed by a place eg raffles nightclub Chelsea" and the car SIM accesses the internet and returns search results to the nav which you can then select the correct one of to get your nav loaded with a destination

H-M3 30th November 2019 11:25 AM

Top notch! What sim you using dude?

paulrstaylor 30th November 2019 08:14 PM

If you have an phone that supports rSAP, you can achieve the same via bluetooth if you select "car" in the bluetooth profile +++

H-M3 30th November 2019 09:16 PM

I have dated iPhone which does connect, transfers all contacts etc. But I don’t think I can get google maps etc.

paulrstaylor 30th November 2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-M3 (Post 153972)
I have dated iPhone which does connect, transfers all contacts etc. But I don’t think I can get google maps etc.

Sadly, Apple phones don't support rSAP, so suggest a cheap PAYG SIM card +++

H-M3 30th November 2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 153973)
Sadly, Apple phones don't support rSAP, so suggest a cheap PAYG SIM card +++

Cheers. Will have to keep my loyalty with Apple I guess:cool:
NB: what phone you using buddy?

paulrstaylor 1st December 2019 08:50 PM

I've had samsung phones for years, currently got a Note9 +++

tc4332 2nd December 2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulrstaylor (Post 154002)
I've had samsung phones for years, currently got a Note9 +++

Good choice Paul.
Bought mine last year.

H-M3 27th December 2019 01:13 AM

Guys. Hope all are keeping well. Bought myself a 3 sim Data only. I registered it with my phone so all good. However, inserted in my car but car does not pick it up. I cannot do anything on the phone settings either:Confused::Confused:. Anybody shed any light on this? Was hoping to use for google earth. My BT seems to work fine as I can make and receive calls.
Thanks