A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D4 - Common Faults (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   D4 Droning Noise (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12387)

Markr 4th December 2016 08:13 PM

D4 Droning Noise

Hi All,

Thought I would start a new thread, on an issue I had with my last 2012 D4. About 2 years into ownership (c. 35k miles), I got a droning noise at about 65mph+. We went through the usual tyres and bearing checks, and all were given a clean bill of health.

Eventually went into a dealer dictated by Audi UK who had some certain test kit and after some more diagnosis, they determined it was wheels or tyres, so all 5 were replaced under warranty.

Problem went away, but after a little while, it started to come back again. I mentioned the issue to another dealer, and they had the car in and started a period of very indepth diagnosis.

They tried new wheels etc on the car, and what they found was that the problem went away at the speed I noticed, but came back at 76mph+, therefore convinced that it wasn't wheels or tyres - all new tyres did were move the problem.

They did other checks to determine it wasn't engine or gearbox, and on ramp checked everything and found nothing. They got some kit in from Germany that measured external noise, and again nothing pinpointed the issue.

They then got a new A8 on the ramp next to mine and did a thorough front to back check on all moving parts using the new one as a reference. Nothing found, except that there was very slightly more play in the propshaft, but nothing that they would ordinarily pick up as a problem. As a last straw, Audi authorised the replacement, and it fixed the issue and silence was restored. Apparently it was the centre bearing.

It took six weeks to diagnose and get the part, which was on back order for LWB - dealer kept me in a couple of new 8's throughout the period though, so no hardship.

During this time I experienced different wheel sizes, different tyres and matrix headlights - 4 months later I had change to a 2015 D4 with matrix headlights!!

Hope that helps someone else, as it had caused a bit of head scratching.

Cheers
Mark.

Joe2.0E 4th December 2016 08:44 PM

Wow, thats some service by the Dealer! Good to hear you got sorted in the end.
Thanks for sharing.

Johnmed 5th December 2016 11:09 AM

Thanks for sharing OP. You could easily have forgotten to get round to writing the thread starter, and we'd all be poorer for it in the future.

Nice one.

David's8 5th December 2016 06:48 PM

I am surprised that Audi hasnt vibration and noise analysis equipment capable of identifying such issues. Ships, submarines and, to an extent, offshore platforms, have used such analysis tools for many years to identify sources of such vibration/noise for reasons of predicting equipment failure and, indeed, self preservation. (Passive sonar tracking systems just LOVE individual vessels with quirky vibes! )

Lee S 5th December 2016 07:04 PM

Otherwise known as a screwdriver wedged between offending noisy article and the tester's lug 'ole... :ROFL:

David's8 5th December 2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee S (Post 120800)
Otherwise known as a screwdriver wedged between offending noisy article and the tester's lug 'ole... :ROFL:

:ROFL: They did move on to somethings slightly more sophisticated (Fast Fourier Transform analysis was involved :Confused:) but the screwdriver technique is something I can understand and have employed on various cars I have owned. +++

tonupkid 5th December 2016 11:06 PM

What do you reckon to the Matrix LED's as opposed to the standard (HID?) headlights?

Markr 6th December 2016 06:01 AM

The matrix beam LED are absolutely brilliant. You can be on full beam all the time and it will black out thoose things coming towards you, but keep full beam around them. Very different to just adaptive lights I had before, which are either fully on or fully off. When you go into a built up area with street lights it turns itself off, so assume it can only cope with so many lights coming towards the car at any one time.

I used to get flashed with the adaptive lights, but as yet never have been with matrix.

Cheers
Mark

jza8 6th December 2016 05:45 PM

Good to know that it was the propshaft bearing causing the drone at the end. I have a slight drone which increases dramatically on rough surface - e.g M25 junction 9 :rolleyes:
I guessed tyres, will soon change them, if it doesnt help will check the centre bearing.

Markr 6th December 2016 08:25 PM

I have found that different brands of tyre have a marked difference on the noise level and mpg. I have been recording every fill up for nearly 4 years by tyre type.

Of the Pirelli, Michelin and Goodyear tried over both D4's, th Goodyear are by far the quietest, both in 19 and 20 form. Pirelli is best on mpg and Goodyear the worst.

Michelin Pilot Sport were the loudest and Pirelli somwhere between the two.

Goodyear are the set I preferred.

Has anyone tried Continental ContiSilent tyres - the ones with the foam in?

h20wes 6th May 2019 05:43 PM

I am bitterly disappointed with my new d4, after many years of blissful d3 ownership I purchased a 2012 lwb 3.0 tdi d4. I have the dreaded droning noise, it is appalling. I have had the car 3 weeks, and when I bought her, I knocked the price accordingly so had the budget to:
4 new Goodyear f1 265/49/20 tyres
All four wheels checked, and powder coated
Both front wheel bearings
All fluids including gearbox and filter
Professional 4 wheel alignment (to the mm)
Nitrogen filled tyres
New oem discs and ebc ultra max 2 pads (superb in the d3)
Fresh brake fluid, system bled inc vcds bleed

Car is transformed, but has serious front road noise/ drone, drives me insane! So bad that I am actually thinking of loosing money and moving it on. It’s not prop centre bearing as is it definitely front, I’m contemplating having 2 new driveshafts as have read that Audi have fitted these for people complaining about the same issue, that would be my last straw as I cannot stand it. I even put my old d3 wheels on that had awesome (silent) Avon Zzr 5 tyres on, it was exactly the same. Every time I ask someone, they say tyre noise, but it must be more than that surely. I’m shocked at how bad the car is compared to the d3, a serious regrettable purchase, sad times

Johnmed 6th May 2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20wes (Post 150233)
I am bitterly disappointed with my new d4, after many years of blissful d3 ownership I purchased a 2012 lwb 3.0 tdi d4. I have the dreaded droning noise, it is appalling. I have had the car 3 weeks, and when I bought her, I knocked the price accordingly so had the budget to:
Nitrogen filled tyres

Car is transformed, but has serious front road noise/ drone, drives me insane! So bad that I am actually thinking of loosing money and moving it on. It’s not prop centre bearing as is it definitely front, I’m contemplating having 2 new driveshafts as have read that Audi have fitted these for people complaining about the same issue, that would be my last straw as I cannot stand it. I even put my old d3 wheels on that had awesome (silent) Avon Zzr 5 tyres on, it was exactly the same. Every time I ask someone, they say tyre noise, but it must be more than that surely. I’m shocked at how bad the car is compared to the d3, a serious regrettable purchase, sad times

Jeez Louise. Surely someone reading this can think/recall of a solution...

steamship 6th May 2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnmed (Post 150234)
Jeez Louise. Surely someone reading this can think/recall of a solution...

From what I've read, it seems to have been a major issue with the D4s since launch. Audi dealers have been blaming tyres and even the wheels themselves, and some people are saying it's to do with harmonic frequencies being transferred into the cabin through the suspension, but there doesn't seem to be a 'solution'. The FL D4 that came out in 2015 has Active Noise Cancelling, as well as additional sound deadening materials, which sort of makes you think that the issue is still there, but just concealed more.

There don't appear to be that many D4 owners on here, so probably difficult to get a consensus from other owners. I know Neil drives a D4, as well as a D2 and D3, so he might be able to confirm whether or not he has any experience of the issue.

Johnmed 6th May 2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 150236)
From what I've read, it seems to have been a major issue with the D4s since launch. Audi dealers have been blaming tyres and even the wheels themselves, and some people are saying it's to do with harmonic frequencies being transferred into the cabin through the suspension, but there doesn't seem to be a 'solution'. The FL D4 that came out in 2015 has Active Noise Cancelling, as well as additional sound deadening materials, which sort of makes you think that the issue is still there, but just concealed more.

There don't appear to be that many D4 owners on here, so probably difficult to get a consensus from other owners. I know Neil drives a D4, as well as a D2 and D3, so he might be able to confirm whether or not he has any experience of the issue.

News to me. Thanks for the update Steamship. OP, I hope there’s a solution.

Joe2.0E 7th May 2019 05:21 AM

I have a 2011 D4 that was recently cured with a front left wheel bearing.
It took much deliberation by the garage to decide which wheel bearing was the culprit. Thankfully they picked the correct one.
I had read the same info on propshaft etc. I had suggested same to the mechanic, they ran the car at road speeds up on the lift & numerous road tests to come to the decision on the wheel bearing.
I’d suggest having another look at wheel bearings, could it be one of the rear ones or a faulty/poorly fitted on the front.
Hope you sort it, it’s awful annoying.

h20wes 7th May 2019 06:40 AM

Thank you mate, but you can’t fit the wheel bearings wrong. They just bolt on and torque up to required setting. It’s definitely front, I reduced front pressure from 37 to 31 which has helped a little, it seems the higher pressure amplified the drone, acting like a microphone. It is road surface dependant, which is bizarre, I opted for the Goodyear as every seems to say they are the quietest. I still have my d3 so I might try these wheels on that to totally eliminate it, but as I say I tried the d3 wheels on here and noise was the same. The D3 is silent and travels round like a magic carpet! I have a bmw m3 with race suspension and track tyres with ridiculous geometry and I think it drives quieter than the d4......I’m going to change fluid in front diff also as I didn’t realise there was on separate to the gearbox

steamship 7th May 2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe2.0E (Post 150239)
I have a 2011 D4 that was recently cured with a front left wheel bearing.
It took much deliberation by the garage to decide which wheel bearing was the culprit.

Those are also some of the comments I've seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20wes (Post 150240)
I reduced front pressure from 37 to 31 which has helped a little, it seems the higher pressure amplified the drone, acting like a microphone. It is road surface dependant, which is bizarre, I opted for the Goodyear as every seems to say they are the quietest.

Again, something similar to what I've been reading.

I just find it hard to believe that owners have to basically throw piles of money at their cars in order to eliminate an errant whine, which not even Audi can give a definitive answer to. The A8 is their luxury saloon, and should be the epitome of comfort, yet I've read of people going through different wheel sizes 18", 19" and 20", and then going through various makes of tyres, all at their own expense, to try and resolve the problem. And that doesn't even take into account those who have gone down the mechanical route and have been systematically replacing suspensions components, bearings, prop-shafts and whatever else. It would definitely put me off buying a D4 (not that it is likely), especially when people say that their D3s were quieter.

h20wes 7th May 2019 11:43 AM

The d3 is miles the better car, if I could have the stereo, brakes, better engine spec and mpg On the d3, I would keep it

Architex_mA8tey 7th May 2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamship (Post 150236)

My D4 is a 2014 FL 4.0T TFSi Model so has even funkier engine mounts than standard as it has cylinder shutdown which requires even more complex active engine mounts to offset any shutdown and startup of cylinders, but I dont recognise the symptoms of noise that you are discussing as being present on my car - it's fitted with Falcon F510 tyres (245-45-19) and they rate at 70 Db on noise which is one of the reasons I use them.

paulrstaylor 7th May 2019 03:32 PM

FWIW, I never had this issue with my D4 either.

I did on the D3 prior to that, in which case it was a pair of wheel bearings and a full front suspension rebuild....

Oh, and I also had a wheel bearing whine on my D2 :ROFL:

Maybe I just got lucky/got out in time with the D4!

h20wes 7th May 2019 04:44 PM

I think they redesigned the d4 in 2013. They had revised front shocks to resolve the harmonic issues and also they have noise cancelling through the stereo whic is also a tale tale. I’ve had her up in the ramp and gone through her with a fine tooth comb and there is nothing wrong at all. My friend at Audi has dug out a bulletin for the issue as Audi have a generic response as they have/had a lot
Of issues with people complaining of the same thing. He said it’s a harmonic problem of the front Axle of the early d4’s and you won’t do anything about it....which is even more upsetting

paulrstaylor 7th May 2019 06:13 PM

I'm not 100% convinced that it is an inherent issue, I have driven 10+ D4's ranging from 2010 to 2016 models, not once did I have cause to complain :Confused:

In any case, I hope you can find a fix +++

Joe2.0E 7th May 2019 08:12 PM

+1
I test drove 4 other 2010 to 2012 D4’s prior to buying mine.
None of them had any such issue apparent.
Dont give up on finding the offending part. You’ll get there.

In terms of sentiment of D3 Vs D4; A D3 is much better built and better looking than a D4 but after getting used to the superior mmi/nav/8 speed auto/better engines etc. You won’t want to go back to the D3.

ainarssems 18th May 2019 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No experience on D4 but I have experienced similar thing with other Audis, Tyre make, size/profile and pressures definitely make a lot of difference but biggest improvement was switching from all metal ( I assume aftermarket) track rod ends to the OEM with rubber bush between the ball end and the threaded screw. Some that I have seem are 1 piece metal or 2 piece metal but without the rubber bush. If yours does not have the bush in there might be worth investigating if there are bushed variant available for D4 or if a part from another model with the bush can be used. Part number with bush that I used and fits D2 and A6 C5 and probably many other Audi/vW models is 8D0498998A.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1558183555

eki 3rd May 2022 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20wes (Post 150233)
Nitrogen filled tyres

Old post, but did you, or anybody else ever got solution for this/this kind of problem? Just same symptoms in my d3. A lot of possible reasons checked, but core reason is still unresolved.

Eki