A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Everything Else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Snow (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13879)

Simonbartlett 25th February 2018 11:23 PM

Snow

So later this week we are forcast snow. My wife and daughter have a 3 hour drive each wsy to a uni. So my question is should they take my d3 with normal tyres and 4wd or the wifes a3 with Michelin cross climate tyres ?

paulrstaylor 26th February 2018 09:36 AM

My view is that quattro is great at getting you moving when slippy, but on standard tyres it won't help you steer or stop!

So maybe tyre is the deciding factor? In any case, 300miles I suspect will be mainly motorway, so should be clear :rolleyes:

ainarssems 26th February 2018 10:18 AM

I have no personal experience with Crossclimate tyres but I would chose 2WD with winter tyres over 4WD with summer tyres.

HPsauce 26th February 2018 10:41 AM

Winter tyres every time (or CrossClimate).+++

Audidothat 19th March 2018 11:24 AM

Tyres aside, this second spell of snow has allowed the Quattro system to shine yet again!

I am not saying it is a LR Defender but as my household has a rear wheel drive BMW and a front wheel drive C6 Avant to draw comparisons from, Quattro really does help.

Out of interest, are the Merc 4-matic and BMW X-Drive systems mechanically the same as Audi Quattro? I'm imagining VW 4Motion is actually Quattro....?

(Just reading up on the alternate 4x4 systems now on Wiki, very interesting).

snapdragon 19th March 2018 11:58 AM

Yes, a fair few years since the last serious snow here, but yet again the Quattro shone through up some really steep untreated hills and I'm only running 4 newish summer tyres Nexen N'Fera SU1.
Easily got around zig-zagging stationary cars even when setting off from a stop after waiting for them, virtually never broke traction - manual mode 2 or 1 down the hills and the Quattro works in reverse.

Sadly not all Quattro monikered Audis have mechanical Torsen™️ (the ones that are based on Golfs etc.. use Haldex™️)
I also fear that the new models may have gone for more bogus eco type 4WD - this and the iPad interior of the D5 means no more Audis for me and I will hang on to the D3, maybe a late D4 if it dies.

Audi's High-Tech New Quattro Is About To **** Off Its Biggest Fans

pete-p 19th March 2018 12:28 PM

I don't like the sound of this "ultra" quattro. It sounds like a lot more to go wrong over a conventional mechanical Torsen. Plus:

Quote:

Audi claims it saves 0.3 liters for every 100 kM when tested in Ingolstadt traffic.
I drive a V8 ffs, I don't care about a little bit of fuel economy!

tonupkid 19th March 2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapdragon (Post 139130)
I also fear that the new models may have gone for more bogus eco type 4WD - this and the iPad interior of the D5 means no more Audis for me and I will hang on to the D3, maybe a late D4 if it dies.

Some additions to the list of irritating new Audi innovations that turn me off:

Touch screen control (have you tried using a touch screen on the move)
Pretend exhaust pipes
Pretend exhaust noises

Conquistador 20th March 2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audidothat (Post 139128)
Out of interest, are the Merc 4-matic and BMW X-Drive systems mechanically the same as Audi Quattro? I'm imagining VW 4Motion is actually Quattro....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_1fCUONZHo

tintin 20th March 2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 139137)
Some additions to the list of irritating new Audi innovations that turn me off:

Touch screen control (have you tried using a touch screen on the move)
Pretend exhaust pipes
Pretend exhaust noises

I couldn't agree more - simpler is better, and this sort of sh*te is one of (several) reasons why I think Audi have totally lost the plot and fallen a long way from their old abilities to truly innovate - they seem more concerned with marketing and superficial stuff these days.