A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   RNS-D rejecting disc randomly... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1073)

Zip 20th July 2009 02:48 PM

RNS-D rejecting disc randomly...

... went to France and stuck my 2007/8 major roads of Europe disc in to only have it come up as incompatible. Tried a few more times with no luck - thought the laser might be dirty, and occasionally when it gets REALLy hot in the car, the Nav won't start up.

Got home, swapped back to my domestic disc, which only started working after a couple of ejects. Now stopped again. I stuck a laser cleaner disc in, but of course you can't run it through a cleaning cycle.....or can you?

Anyway... anyone dealt with this problem before? I need to get it working.

Cheers,
Zip

S8yot 20th July 2009 09:33 PM

I've had similar problems with "disk error" or "no disk" generally when its cold and damp and assumed it was condensation. However, this has also happened in the warm weather, which tends to rule this out. Ejecting and reinstalling usually does the trick on mine but not necessarily first time. Can't be related to the disk as I bought a new one a few months ago.
If anyone has a cure....

The_Laird 12th August 2009 12:51 PM

Similar problem on RNS 4.2

The sytem often said "wrong CD" or "disc is incompatible" for a few miles or a few eject and restarts. Then it started to take longer and longer and now it hardly ever works.
So Sloss kindly agreed to meet up and test the discs in each other's sat nav. His disc worked fine in my sat nav but mine didn't work in his - so definitely a disc problem!
Is there anyone local that has the same system? Check on the Tyresmoke A8 forum - they have a list of over 100 A8/S8 owners with date and location

Zip 12th August 2009 02:17 PM

Here's a possibility...

...I had reason to disconnect my battery for a couple of hours at the weekend, and my nav disc has started working again...

I wonder if it has done some sort of internal reset / memory clear down / cache clear blah blah?

Worth trying. I'll let you know if it starts playing up again.

Zip

The_Laird 12th August 2009 02:25 PM

Worth a try. Is there a PIN number to reset the system/radio?

Zip 12th August 2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlue8 (Post 6569)
Worth a try. Is there a PIN number to reset the system/radio?

You'll need your 4 digit security code which should be in the back of your NAV Plus manual with your car's docs (if you have it...) Otherwise contact a main dealer with your reg and they should give it to you (if you have proof of ownership...)

Zip

The_Laird 13th August 2009 07:48 AM

I've still got all the paperwork, so I'll have a look at the weekend. Thanks

IT 13th August 2009 09:19 AM

The Nav plus's are notorious for being picky on the discs, so when they age a bit, the slightest fault with the lens/dirt etc can cause disc mis-read problems. They especially dont like copied discs....

Doesn't explain why the reset helped though....

The_Laird 13th August 2009 01:32 PM

And if it were the sat nav unit (not the disc) at fault, why would my disc not work in sloss's car and his not work in mine? I had assumed that meant that the disc must be at fault, even though it's not a copy.
And how do you clean the lens? I tried a CD head cleaner (a disc with a series of little brushes on it) but it just got stuck and I had to pull it out with tweezers!
BTW - the snappy sales patter nearly sold me on the Ford Transit