A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   A8 / S8 Generic Posts (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Engine decoke (Terraclean) (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10370)

M-A8 31st July 2015 11:12 PM

Engine decoke (Terraclean)

10 Attachment(s)
We've touched the subject of Terraclean few times on this forum, but without real before and after photos.

Unfortunately I have no before photos, but I've had engine treated with Terraclean around 12,000miles ago.
As I had to remove the intake manifold in order to replace non return valves today, I thought I would be a good idea to look at the intakes and take few pictures.

I have to say I'm very impressed how clean they are. I don't know how bad they should look after 150k on the clock, but pretty bad I assume.
Not sure how filling the car with quality fuel since new and using regularly petrol cleaning additives and injector cleaning additives would reduce intakes getting bad, but I have noticed the difference after treating two cars with Terraclean (smoothness) and attached pictures should reassure everyone who thinks about doing a decoke.

Mate who I got to do the decoke the classic was, 6-8h of back bending and doing it by hand, was well impressed with how clean the intakes are.

Terraclean isn't that popular in Europe, but in North America where it comes from this method is very very popular and backed but all sort of warranties so it can't be a rip off in my opinion.

Lee S 1st August 2015 02:33 AM

Mine is booked in for Monday... first time I've had it done so will be interested to see what it drives like afterwards. If it's any good, I will get it done annually. ;)+++

Delboy 1st August 2015 07:29 AM

Nice, thats the difference between FSI and injectors before the valves.

I don't think the terraclean would have made much difference to the valves tbh but what it may have done in the combustion chamber I cant say.

I did watch Ed china doing it to an old Jag?? and it made a massive difference to the emissions.

Glad you finally got round to doing the return valves, has it cured it?

andycaca 1st August 2015 07:38 AM

I've thought about having this done to my S8 and emailed a local terraclean franchisee. They didnt bother getting back to me...

This is the garage that wasnt bothered about my custom: http://www.swiftfit.com/terraclean-norwich.php

ainarssems 1st August 2015 08:48 AM

My D2 PF S8 engine was just as clean when I took it apart with 124k on the clock without any special cleaning and very clean in combustion chamber as well.

About Ed chinas Jag, it's 2 years younger than my S8 and he had 0.65% CO and 500ppm HC before cleaning at idle speed. After clean it was 0.55% CO and 78 ppm HC. For comparison my S8 in last MOT did 0.00% CO at both idle and fast idle and 8ppm HC at fast idle(not tested at natural idle for MOT), a lot better then Jag even after clean. Jag might have different emission limits for MOT but for my S8 CO limit is 0.3% at natural idle and 0.2% at fast idle so by the S8 standards Jag would have failed MOT even after clean. HC limit for my S8 at MOT is 200ppm.

Delboy 1st August 2015 09:23 AM

My car just had the Mot done by the wife in my absence, must ask if she got any details like that.

Embarrassingly the car was 7 months over due, it's not the first time either :o

Adrian E 1st August 2015 09:44 AM

Annual reminder in your calendar, set 6 weeks before, I find quite useful! Having said that my S8 is due to be done beginning of September, although it's not due till early October

I may have booked it in April to get it at £27......

Turbo Tony 2nd August 2015 02:05 PM

I posted a review of Terraclean (complete with before and after emissions tests) on the Detailing World forums.

The short version is: I was VERY impressed. It made a night-and-day difference to my Cavalier. I also had my Volvo done and while the difference was noticeable, it wasn't as dramatic as on the Cavalier.

It'll be one of the first appointments I make for my Audi once I get it, although I am considering 'decarbonise your engine' instead, as that process also cleans the inlet manifold. Terraclean get to the bits in the combustion chamber and after.

Delboy 2nd August 2015 03:45 PM

Decarbonise your engine????

Do tell more Tony....

kele 2nd August 2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony (Post 97661)
I posted a review of Terraclean (complete with before and after emissions tests) on the Detailing World forums.

The short version is: I was VERY impressed. It made a night-and-day difference to my Cavalier. I also had my Volvo done and while the difference was noticeable, it wasn't as dramatic as on the Cavalier.

It'll be one of the first appointments I make for my Audi once I get it, although I am considering 'decarbonise your engine' instead, as that process also cleans the inlet manifold. Terraclean get to the bits in the combustion chamber and after.

I booked mine in for terraclean. I went for a walk to a coffee shop and did some work for a couple of hours only to come back to be told that they need a special adapter for the fuel system on the my engine. I guess they only realised that when they tried to connect their equipment. But they did also recommend a separate treatment for the inlet manifold. Maybe one day I get round to it.....