A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Everything else (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Non-sunroof D2 S8 (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9655)

Cornershop 5th March 2015 06:57 PM

Non-sunroof D2 S8

Hello folks

How rare is a non-sunroof D2 S8 ?

Saw a car i quite liked the other day, pleasantly surprised to see it was without a sunroof.

Was it an option to delete it, from what I presume was the standard spec?

Shirish

MAM 5th March 2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornershop (Post 90300)
Hello folks

Saw a car i quite liked the other day, pleasantly surprised to see it was without a sunroof.

Shirish

I am probably one of the few, but that makes it more appealing - why taking a can opener to a roof is seen as a good this is beyond me.. :ROFL:

HPsauce 5th March 2015 07:15 PM

The only use my sunroof has, and had on my previous S8, was the solar panels keeping the fans ticking over when parked in the sun. :cool:

I don't think I ever opened the old one in 11 years and have certainly never opened this one in the two I've had it.

moltuae 5th March 2015 07:22 PM

I use my sunroof a lot.

I drive with it open whenever it isn't raining ... which, in the UK, must be at least 10 days a year. :D

I like a sunroof; wouldn't buy a car without one. Having said that, an S8 without a sunroof must be a pretty rare thing. Can't say I've ever seen one without.

Professor Peach 5th March 2015 07:33 PM

I like it open also and the kids love it. Window down mostly as well (weather permitting) so I can hear the Miltek.:)

Cornershop 5th March 2015 07:38 PM

thanks for the feedback chaps - believe its option code 3FA "without roof insert (standard roof)"

i had the sunroof deleted/filled on my 911 - aside from the weight loss, it removed one of the worst sources of leaks and eventually rust the car.

IT 6th March 2015 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornershop (Post 90300)
Hello folks

Shirish

Sunroof was standard UK spec on every D2.

I imagine it could be deleted at time of purchase if desired. I love a sunroof, but appreciate some, often taller folk, prefer not to have one.

So, in terms of rarity, it makes hens teeth look ten a penny.

I've seen 1 D2 on a UK plate with no sunroof in all my years. My thoughts were (a) European import or less likely (b) ex police. I didn't investigate further, but it was a turn off in terms of questionable originality.

I think they one I saw was gray from memory....

Goran 6th March 2015 01:01 PM

My German market S8 has no sunroof, and believe me it was hard to find a 6-speed and no sunroof.
I have to say though, I prefer the way my previous sunroofed S8 looks on the inside, the roof control panel blends in better and with all those buttons it feels like you are in some sort of aircraft when you reach for the roof controls. Although non-sunroof has more head room.

ainarssems 6th March 2015 01:09 PM

Only time I used sunroof on my 8 was to check that it is working when I bought the car. I have used sunroof on my previous cars in summer when you just start to drive them and it is like +50C inside a car. So you open windows and sunroof to let the heat out then 2 minutes later when the aircon starts pumping cool air close them again. On S8 with solar sunroof there is no need for it as interior is kept reasonably cool while parked. For all I care sunroof and windows apart from drivers could be welded shut. Thank god for disable button for the rear windows to stop passengers opening them, too bad it does not disable front passenger switch.

Architex_mA8tey 6th March 2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 90361)
For all I care sunroof and windows apart from drivers could be welded shut. Thank god for disable button for the rear windows to stop passengers opening them, too bad it does not disable front passenger switch.

Hmm if you can't control your front passengers Ainars then lock them in the boot :tuttut: