A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D3 - Interior Electrics (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Background lighting - Ambiental lighting (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15742)

Versace 20th June 2020 05:02 PM

Background lighting - Ambiental lighting

I've had this unusual occurence... Driving on the motorway, the Ambiental lights in the door cards - the long ones just stopped working, than in few seonds came back again. Than again in few minutes they're off for good. And I don't know what to do to turn them on again. Every other option in the Background lighting works (City, Back, Front) only "Highway" lights on the door cards does not work. Where should I start looking for the solution? I have VCDS... :Confused::Confused:

Versace 6th September 2020 09:30 PM

Update:
Sometimes when I come to my car and unlock it, the complete ambiental illumination on the door cards work, but turns off in about three seconds :Confused:
No codes, nothing!!

steamship 7th September 2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Versace (Post 159640)
No codes, nothing!!

When you say you've no codes, do you mean there are no error codes for any of the four doors (since each door has its own control unit) or no error codes at all for the car?

It seems rather odd that all four door control units would get the same problem at the same time, and since you also mention that they intermittently work, I'd suspect another control unit. Specifically, the sunroof electronics control unit (J528) as that is where the ambient light data is stored. Using VCDS, check address 38 for possible errors.

Even if there are none, I'd be inclined to remove the sunroof unit and check the electrical connections to ensure they're all seated correctly, and then check to see if there is any moisture or corrosion in the contacts. The final item I'd check would be the lighting profile button in front of the sunroof rotary knob (between the reading light buttons) to see if it was working correctly and wasn't sticking in position, as you can use that to alter the light intensity.

Check out the following SSP found on the D3 Tech Dump thread for more information (from page 68):

53-SSP 287 Audi A8 03 - Electrical Components

ainarssems 7th September 2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

The final item I'd check would be the lighting profile button in front of the sunroof rotary knob (between the reading light buttons) to see if it was working correctly and wasn't sticking in position, as you can use that to alter the light intensity
Did not know there was button for ambient lightning there, though it all just adjusts from MMI. I guess because I never use sunroof.:D

homer simpson 7th September 2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainarssems (Post 159656)
Did not know there was button for ambient lightning there, though it all just adjusts from MMI. I guess because I never use sunroof.:D

Neither did I! That's what we get for not reading the manual :ROFL:

steamship 7th September 2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer simpson (Post 159659)
Neither did I! That's what we get for not reading the manual :ROFL:

That's what I get for having too much time on my hands! :D

paulrstaylor 7th September 2020 08:35 PM

I remember this button on my D3, I also remember missing it on my D4 :ROFL:

IT 7th September 2020 08:59 PM

It used to be a common D3 problem where the light strips would fail, but that would be on 1 door. You are implying that all 4 doors light up, but then all go out at the same time ?

That would be harder to fathom, as I'm 99% sure the light strips are driven off the door controller module (which also does central locking, soft close, other lighting etc)

That module, in each door is definitely where I would start.

Versace 7th September 2020 09:52 PM

I have tested the roof electronics control module, only one code as always, also when the lightning was working.
004 - no signal communication/intermittent

Then I went to the door control module, run the output tests and walla, the ambilights work. As soon as I turn the output test off, it stops working. The same for all four doors and their control modules. So the lightning itself is working.
Tried the button on the overhead panel, no luck, but the button itself works, I have tried it with the “City” mode.
Otherwise 270.000 miles and still going strong!

What could possibly be wrong? :Confused:

steamship 8th September 2020 01:24 PM

With everything checked and working but still getting that intermittent error code, have you checked the connectors to ensure they're seated properly and don't have any signs of corrosion in them?