A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   House and Home DIY (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Vaguely related to mowing the lawn... (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13095)

David's8 11th June 2017 04:31 PM

Having consulted the RHS Gardeners Encylcopedia it definitely looks like a member of the perennial Iris family. Each flower generally has 3 large petals and 3 smaller standard petals. One of the groups is Rhizomatous (reference to the root stock as opposed to Bulbous) and these have "sword shaped leaves usually in a basal fan". That seems to describe your specimen. Rhizomatous type can be bearded, beardless or crested. I cannot identify the exact variety you have though.+++

tintin 11th June 2017 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 128959)
Looks like a young Triffid to me ;)

Or, on a more serious note, they could be water irises - I saw loads of these today whilst walking in Delamere Forest. All of the ones I saw were - as the name might suggest - on the edge of the water/meres/marshy ground: not sure if that applies to yours though, given that you've said they're on the lawn?

David's8 11th June 2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin (Post 129004)
Or, on a more serious note, they could be water irises - I saw loads of these today whilst walking in Delamere Forest. All of the ones I saw were - as the name might suggest - on the edge of the water/meres/marshy ground: not sure if that applies to yours though, given that you've said they're on the lawn?

The RHS book states that they are "suitable for borders, rock gardens, woodlands, watersides, bog gardens". Some actually prefer "sunny well drained sites". So its very dependent on the variety.

HPsauce 11th June 2017 05:32 PM

Back on topic at last. :rolleyes:
Yes, I'd presumed they were irises and our garden is quite damp despite sloping fairly steeply (we think there's a spring somewhere). We have a large thriving weeping willow in the centre!

What is odd is the colouration which is the reverse of most varieties. These have yellow/cream petals with darker purplish brown centres.
Typical colouration has darker tips and light/yellow centres.

tonupkid 11th June 2017 07:21 PM

Apparently it is a dwarf iris, and remarkable to have survived being regularly mowed

David's8 11th June 2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonupkid (Post 129020)
Apparently it is a dwarf iris, and remarkable to have survived being regularly mowed

Apparently hybrid bearded irises (part of the Rhizomatous group with the sword like leaves) are themselves grouped into Miniature Dwarf, (20cm), Standard Dwarf (20-40cm) Intermediate (40-70cm) andn Standard Tall (70cm>)

So, let it grow and take your pick :ROFL:

The_Laird 11th June 2017 09:06 PM

FFS, I logged on tonight to 'new posts' (I'm in Spain visiting my Dad) and I've read posts about a BMW, soft top Audis and plants in lawns. I thought I'd logged on to the wrong site! :). Has anyone got anything to say about A8s?

tonupkid 11th June 2017 09:26 PM

Yes. I'm going to post a picture of the green stuff that grows on my 8 when it's been unwashed for a while. I'd like to know what it is

HPsauce 11th June 2017 09:29 PM

The irises seem to be self-set as they're all over the place. I did wonder if I'd find one growing in my scuttle drains..... :rolleyes:

tintin 11th June 2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 129026)
FFS, I logged on tonight to 'new posts' (I'm in Spain visiting my Dad) and I've read posts about a BMW, soft top Audis and plants in lawns. I thought I'd logged on to the wrong site! :). Has anyone got anything to say about A8s?

Tempting, but I don't want to upset you again Jim....;)