A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Engine Bay (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Make that two (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2178)

Singh 30th September 2010 10:46 AM

Make that two

'8s sitting lifeless on the drive, it's true. Although Ben as far as I'm concerned has fixed the car as it's driving okay now and pulling like a train, he found some damage when working on the engine, caused by the dimwits that put the S8 engine in. Advice is not to drive it and may be able to take something of the other engine to make one good one.

I say something a lot as don't understand the technicality of it much. Ben will give us some more of the techy details.

For the time being I need to find a car to drive around in. Cheap to insure,run and realiable would be nice. Don't really care what it is as long as it has MOT and preferably under £300.

Big thanks to Ben who spent his day working and trying to set up a new unit then came home and started working on my car in the freezing cold and tried to refuse to take a penny for all his hard work!

Sorry to the person on this forum who was very keen in taking the car on from me and had arranged to view it!

PsYcHe 30th September 2010 03:27 PM

Aw FFS! That is truly 'teh sux'!

Fingers crossed you can engineer a cheap fix from the dead engine.

Just_Ben 30th September 2010 03:35 PM

Is it really driving OK mate...? It bloody shouldn't be! :Confused:

What's happened is that whoever fitted the gas system secured the injection nozzles into the holes they drilled in the inlet manifold with their teeth, with small nuts bolted from the INSIDE and didn't loc-tite them - 2x nuts had come adrift and damaged inlet valves.

I just feel sorry for ya matey, such rediculous bad luck!

If she really is driving ok then worth doing a compression test and seeing if she'll continue but it ran pretty bad and was chuffing into the inlet manifold when u left me buddy

Conan_the_Librarian 30th September 2010 03:45 PM

I really feel for you Amar. Total bollox of a job to use nuts on the inside of an inlet manifold. Would the head off one engine fix the other?

darrenjoe90 30th September 2010 04:31 PM

really sorry to hear your havin problems again amar. all i can say is if i get all six numbers on the lottery this weekend then i will give you my s8 with a full tank of v-power +++

tonupkid 30th September 2010 08:31 PM

Strewth! That's a tough one, another really tough one. Sorry for your Amar

Architex_mA8tey 30th September 2010 08:35 PM

You really didnt deserve that mate, especially after everything else
All I can say is that when the Karma finally cuts in you should get some seriously good luck as payback
Fingers crossed for you and let me know if I can help :(

Oli18 30th September 2010 09:18 PM

ah what a bummer - really feel for ya and can't believe the saga continues for you.

Hope to see you at ADI.

Oli

Mkoneman 1st October 2010 06:14 AM

That's insane :-( when I had a look I thought that they had been overtightened as u would think m6 nut going through the engine would of destroyed it

Night Train 1st October 2010 07:30 AM

Really sorry to hear that Amar....

Who did the conversion, and does anybody else have a car that was done by them?

That seems like an absolute bodge job, last place I'd want to put nuts, I'd have thought that they'd have tapped a thread in the manifold, but then they'd probably have left a pile of swarf, if the above is anything to go by.

Surely that conversion clearly isn't fit for purpose....

Good luck mate..