A8 Parts Forum

A8 Parts Forum (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/index.php)
-   D2 - Body and Exterior (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Outer window seal replace? (https://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15464)

spannerrash 24th January 2020 01:07 PM

Outer window seal replace?

Just a quick one.

How difficult is it to replace the chrome trim strip at the top of the door / bottom of the window? I think it's referd too as the outer chrome window seal. Pop off or do we have to drill rivets?

Thanks Frank

Architex_mA8tey 24th January 2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannerrash (Post 155201)
Just a quick one.

How difficult is it to replace the chrome trim strip at the top of the door / bottom of the window? I think it's referd too as the outer chrome window seal. Pop off or do we have to drill rivets?

Thanks Frank

In the D2 > common faults section there is a Tech Dump with all of the PDFs your heart will ever desire!

Follow this link and there is a section in this document with all the trim removal shown - http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...0&d=1420350770

MikkiJayne 24th January 2020 02:52 PM

Strip the door down and remove the door frame then the trim knocks off upwards. No rivets. I've not managed to get one off with the frame still in place - I suspect it would take a fair bit of force which would bend the trim.

spannerrash 24th January 2020 03:16 PM

I've read that pdf previously and just again now but can't find any reference to the trim I am wanting to replace. The chrome strip that runs across the top of the door skin.

spannerrash 24th January 2020 03:33 PM

Thanks for the replies.

MJ have you ever managed to fit one without stripping the door down? I know that sounds odd but the one on the car is already damaged so I have a spare. Damaging more on removal is no big deal. As long as I don't damage the door itself. But would I be able to fit the replacement without stripping the door?

I may have to buy a complete second hand door to practice on.

HPsauce 24th January 2020 04:03 PM

I can say (having done it not that long ago to replace the entire window frame) that stripping the door down and taking the frame off isn't actually that difficult. Tedious and takes a little while, and you'll need a few new clips for the door card as some inevitably break.

You just have to be EXTREMELY careful to not lose the tiny little u-shaped plastic insert on the end of the cable from the internal door handle. :tuttut:
(Though I think MJ was possibly 3D-printing some...)

In my case I had to do this to effectively replace one of the nylon pulleys in the window winder mechanism as it had shattered. Replacing the whole frame is much the easiest way, swapping over the glass and motor from the original. :cool:

MikkiJayne 24th January 2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannerrash (Post 155207)
Thanks for the replies.

MJ have you ever managed to fit one without stripping the door down? I know that sounds odd but the one on the car is already damaged so I have a spare. Damaging more on removal is no big deal. As long as I don't damage the door itself. But would I be able to fit the replacement without stripping the door?

I may have to buy a complete second hand door to practice on.

They are just a friction fit on a lip on the top of the sheet metal - exactly the same concept as the door seals. Theoretically yes, you should be able to gently push one on with the door intact. I haven't tried it...

I have bare doors and trim strips on the shelf so I can get pics of specific, but not sure they would be much help.

craig 4th August 2020 01:40 AM

Remove door trim

It is very hard to do yo will bend them I hot mine off did bend the first one but had spares to play around I managed all mine with patience and care wd40 and plastic trim removal tools the hardest part was separating the strip from the rubber omg that was hard but doable I chromed all mine putting back was hard aswell I could go in depth but look at the results in my album I was well pleased

The_Laird 4th August 2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spannerrash (Post 155206)
I've read that pdf previously and just again now but can't find any reference to the trim I am wanting to replace. The chrome strip that runs across the top of the door skin.

I can’t find it either

steamship 4th August 2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Laird (Post 159027)
I can’t find it either

Both of you are correct. The one it does have starts on page 190 which is the chrome roof trim, which is what I initially thought 'at the top of the door' meant.

Just have to use the other D2 authority (MJ) suggestion.